Apr 07 2013
By: JulianMatisse Treasure Hunter 4056 posts

How many pages does a post have to be before you just decide to skip it?

23 replies 249 views Edited Apr 7, 2013

I started off trying to read every page of every post that was on the front page of whatever forum I was currently looking at, but lately I've found myself skipping posts once they get over 10 pages, unless I've gotten in on it from the beginning.  So, how long does a post have to get to make you skip it? TL;DR Smiley Tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 24 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20404 posts

Re: How many pages does a post have to be before you just decide to skip it?

Apr 7, 2013
It's not so much the amount the thread has so much as how much I want to reply/read the subject that it's about. If it's something I'm generally interested in, I'll read through it. If it's something that generally rehashed or something I don't like, I may choose to avoid it.

Post count in a thread should really never justify you reading or not reading, but what the topic is about should make a difference.
Message 2 of 24 (246 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

Subject matter matters. Interesting conversations can keep me reading for pages, but if its dull or keeps jumping between conversations or topics I'll skip to a page or two before the end and read from there.

As for TLSmiley Very HappyR worthy posts...an interesting, well-written post will keep people from asking for a TLSmiley Very HappyR, even if the subject is boring or beaten to death...poor writing and grammar can ruin even the best ideas.

EDIT: Was going to fix this TLSmiley Very HappyR emocon...but I think I'm just going to leave it there and lol

Message 3 of 24 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Apr 8, 2013
When I'm bored I'll read EVERYTHING except the ones that are 15+ pages.
Message 4 of 24 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

It all depends on what the topic is about and how interested I am in it. Though, I haven't ever read through more than 30 pages of replies, so I would say no more than 30. 

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Message 5 of 24 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Agreed, the subject of the topic matters. Sometimes, I only read the OP's post, and a couple replies after that. Sometimes, I only read the first 2 or 3 pages.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 24 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Now, I'm not asking anyone to actually read through the entire thing (seriously, don't do it. Too much randomness, and old thread is old), but how far do you think you'd be able to get, out of 1488 pages? 

Message 7 of 24 (188 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Apr 8, 2013
Lol, most likely, I would skim through random pages after reading the first few, to see where the general discussion leads, and then base my reply off of that.

Oh, I repeated something you said? On page 1297? Sorry, didn't read it -.-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 24 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7215 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Actually I'm more likely to look at a post with many replies.  If a post has, say, only 1 reply, then it's probably just a question that has already been answered.  If it has many replies, there is a better chance that it is an interesting topic that is worth discussing - no simple answer.  It will depend on the topic and the type of posts of course, but that is generally how I see things.  Since I am on the forums pretty frequently, it's unlikely that I'll see a "pointless" thread with several pages of new content; I would have already determined a thread to be pointless for me regardless of how many new posts it has.

Message 9 of 24 (173 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Apr 8, 2013
OR when gkpama00 has replied, because when I see his name, I know the issue has been put down like a dog with rabies.
Message 10 of 24 (156 Views)