Ghost of Sparta
14796 posts

Re: How do you handle the cold?

Dec 19, 2003

,CNNboy wrote:
      As many of you know I live in Ca., actually Southern Ca. and well....it's almost always warm here. I know many of you will hate me for my weather, but this post is really about you. I see it frezzing where a great many of you are located, and my question is, how the hell do you stay warm? Do you have to get ice off your car windsheild every morning, and let them warm up for 10 mins before driving? Do you use the heater in the house? If so, isn't the heating bill out the roof?! How many layers of cloths do you HAVE to wear to go outside? Does the weather effect (or is it affect)?, your personality for the day, or even week or month? Is your school/work heated properly? I give you up-most props for dealing with it.

Message Edited by CNNboy on 12-18-2003 10:24 PM

well i only live in Atlanta but it still get cold and i still have a sheet of ice on my car when i get up everymorning... i give it 15 minutes to warm up...but heres the funny part...i only live a half a mile from where i work  so in that 15 minutes i could have been at work and back 2 times.....LOL....
Message 11 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1657 posts

Dec 19, 2003
Yeah its pretty warm here i also live in Ca and yeah it is pretty warm here and when it does it cold i wear big clothes of course,
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 12 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Dec 19, 2003

CNNboy wrote:
      As many of you know I live in Ca., actually Southern Ca. and well....it's almost always warm here. I know many of you will hate me for my weather, but this post is really about you. I see it frezzing where a great many of you are located, and my question is, how the hell do you stay warm? Do you have to get ice off your car windsheild every morning, and let them warm up for 10 mins before driving? Do you use the heater in the house? If so, isn't the heating bill out the roof?! How many layers of cloths do you HAVE to wear to go outside? Does the weather effect (or is it affect)?, your personality for the day, or even week or month? Is your school/work heated properly? I give you up-most props for dealing with it.

I'm in Texas right now... and it gets colder than people think. Unfortunately it's not cold enough to produce any decent snow, and if it does, then it's not cold enough for it to stick on the ground ....

I'm kinda sick at the moment, but not sure if the cold caused that, as I had to stay up extraordinarily long hours to get a project done. But if it was from the cold, I guess you could say, I don't handle the cold, I just get sick from it. At least that solves the whole getting ice off the car windows and all that stuff Smiley Tongue

though when I feel proper the cold really doesn't matter much to me. I don't feel cold easily, my room temperature is about 68°F on average, so I don't experience much weather that requires any more than just a coat... if it's really cold I'll use my thicker coat, but seems I never have had to wear multiple pairs of pants or socks or anything like that

as for the car stuff, that is annoying, you scrape the ice off, it's warm enough for the friction to melt it here, but then it freezes again, so you have to scrape the frozen ice residue off as well... then when you finally get the window ice-free, it fogs up... the fog then freezes... grrrrr
Message 13 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8547 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,CNNboy wrote:

I useally don't were a lot of clothes when its cold, I'm always to hot, so I wear shorts and t shirts in the winter.
Message 14 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12847 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,CNNboy wrote:

yeah our houses and work places are fully heated, no it doesnt cost that much, yes we have to get frost off our cars and let them heat up for 5-10 minutes, not many layers of cloths just pants a shirt and my down fill jacket, it doesnt afect my personality because im so used to it,
MACH-99. The one. The only. The guy that has too many girls.
Message 15 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1675 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,CNNboy wrote:

I moved to Chicago from Toronto. While it's not *much* of a difference, it's definitely colder in Canada, and we get the snow sooner. But you have to be smart about how you dress...Obviously, living in S. California, you're not gonna wear black sweat pants, a black t-shirt, and run off outside when it's 100* outside. If people are working outside in the cold, they have to dress in layers, it helps keep you warm. I'm not talking about 5 sweaters..Thin layers, working up to a sweater or sweat shirt. Thicker socks, boots and gloves help. I have a garage, so in the morning I don't have to scrape anything, but in the evening, before I leave work, I start my car and let it warm up for 10 minutes (which by the way - is VERY bad for your car). The heater in the house is no different from the air conditioner in yours. One bill balances out the other - kind of. If you crank the air in the Summer, you're certainly using less electricity in the winter. Granted, the price of gas has gone up, so there will be some difference. I keep the heat at 70* all winter, unless it gets dreadfully cold out. Then I up it a little bit, and dress warmer. The weather outside has no bearing on my personality. Any day above ground and breathing is a good day. I am finding out that my new office isn't heated properly...The heat vents are only located on one side of the office, and I have 1800 square feet of space here. I turn it down in the evening, but crank it when I get in, so that the entire place can get some heat.
- Solitaire.
Message 16 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12847 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,multimediaman wrote:

I'm in Texas right now... and it gets colder than people think. Unfortunately it's not cold enough to produce any decent snow, and if it does, then it's not cold enough for it to stick on the ground ....

I'm kinda sick at the moment, but not sure if the cold caused that, as I had to stay up extraordinarily long hours to get a project done. But if it was from the cold, I guess you could say, I don't handle the cold, I just get sick from it. At least that solves the whole getting ice off the car windows and all that stuff Smiley Tongue

though when I feel proper the cold really doesn't matter much to me. I don't feel cold easily, my room temperature is about 68°F on average, so I don't experience much weather that requires any more than just a coat... if it's really cold I'll use my thicker coat, but seems I never have had to wear multiple pairs of pants or socks or anything like that

as for the car stuff, that is annoying, you scrape the ice off, it's warm enough for the friction to melt it here, but then it freezes again, so you have to scrape the frozen ice residue off as well... then when you finally get the window ice-free, it fogs up... the fog then freezes... grrrrr

you dont get a cold from being cold, you get it from a bug (not a insect bug!!!)
MACH-99. The one. The only. The guy that has too many girls.
Message 17 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1675 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,bob talks wrote:

you dont get a cold from being cold, you get it from a bug (not a insect bug!!!)

Yea...Bob's pretty much right...What happens is, your body tempature drops, and your bodys immune system breaks down, making it easier for you to catch a germ that would cause you to have a fever, runny nose, etc. That you wouldn't normally get while you were healthy.
- Solitaire.
Message 18 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Dec 19, 2003

Solitaire wrote:

bob talks wrote:

Yea...Bob's pretty much right...What happens is, your body tempature drops, and your bodys immune system breaks down, making it easier for you to catch a germ that would cause you to have a fever, runny nose, etc. That you wouldn't normally get while you were healthy.

I know that you don't get a cold from being cold... but still, I don't feel cold easily, so maybe my body temperature wasn't warm enough so I got kinda run down while outside or something.... it's somewhat related to being cold either way Smiley Tongue

maybe I should wear my coat when it's a certain temperature outside instead of just when I feel cold

Message Edited by multimediaman on 12-19-2003 10:18 AM

Message 19 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2002 posts

Dec 19, 2003

,multimediaman wrote:
,Solitaire wrote:

,bob talks wrote:

I know that you don't get a cold from being cold... but still, I don't feel cold easily, so maybe my body temperature wasn't warm enough so I got kinda run down while outside or something.... it's somewhat related to being cold either way Smiley Tongue

maybe I should wear my coat when it's a certain temperature outside instead of just when I feel cold ,

Message Edited by multimediaman on 12-19-2003 10:18 AM

When I was a kid in Alaska it would be like 40 below and I would go out shooting I would wear long underware.3 pair socks,blue jeans,sweet shirt,and a heavy coat and gloves.I would wear military deer skin mucklucks which are like boots to the knee.With the walking around I stayed warm.My brother and sister still live there and they pay $500-$650 a month to heat their houses.Up there its fuel oil.
Message 20 of 21 (0 Views)
0 Likes