Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Re: How do you feel about covert advertising?

Jan 23, 2014

far-zan wrote:

ossiecastro5 wrote:

It make the companies, in my opinion, appear desperate. If Micro$oft really needs to pay people just to say how good their console is, thanis it really good?

If people said this at their own will, without getting paid or contact with companies, than of course it's ok.

So every company that has a celebrity appear or endorse their product in a commercial is desperate? Microsoft has tons of money to spare and would like to promote their product I hardly see a problem with that. 

Also, as a note why do people write "Micro$oft" and not $ony. If you think that Sony cares more about the consumers and less about money than any other company than you're delusional. 

The difference between celebrity endorsements on television and these Youtuber endorsements is that we KNOW that the celebrities were paid. We see their endorsements during the commercial break. Youtubers are doing this without telling people it is paid advertising. If some awesome Youtuber tells my brother to go and buy a game, he will go and buy it because he trusts this person's review. In the same way, if a bunch of big Youtubers are giving out bought opinions without informing the viewers, the viewers are not actually following that person's real advice. They are, at best, following slightly biased advice.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 11 of 16 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9942 posts

Jan 23, 2014
Quite honestly I find it pathetic.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 12 of 16 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19205 posts

Jan 23, 2014

nasrulez wrote:

Yes.

Pathetic corporate propaganda. 

Message 13 of 16 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jan 23, 2014

nasrulez wrote:

But why? MCDONALDS regularly inserts their products into various forms of media, and the outcry IS typically non-existent. I think you all just get off on the DELICIOUS little controversies that arise from these shenanigans. 

Message 14 of 16 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9942 posts

Jan 23, 2014
The fact that they can't find one person who can vouch for Xbone without being paid is pathetic to me.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 15 of 16 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12491 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2014

I would love to see clear distinctions between advertisements and opinions on YouTube (and elsewhere) but I don’t expect to see this. I personally think that people should be paid for their honest evaluations. These are more valuable to me than those from some puppet (that's for sure).

How would you feel if a new game was given 9s and 10s across the board and you end up getting hyped and buy a mediocre game at $60 only to find out that the review was paid for?

I would kick myself and never trust video game reviews from that person/source ever again. At the very least I wouldn’t allow their opinions to have strong impacts on my decisions to purchase video games in the future. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

I use YouTube for entertainment, news, and information. I will either agree with what people have to say about products/services or disagree with them. I very rarely ever take someone’s word for something and I expect most video game reviews to be rife with opinions (ones that I might not necessarily agree with). I cannot think of a single person on YouTube who I idolize although there are a handful of people whose opinions on video games have been useful to me over the years. I like to hear about what people like and hate in video games. It doesn't matter to me what they score them.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 16 of 16 (76 Views)
0 Likes