Jan 23 2014
By: abhijtv Sackboy 379 posts

How do Youtube personalities earn a living?

7 replies 169 views Edited Jan 23, 2014

How do these youtubers earn a living? Is it just through ads or do they supplement it with things like merchandize on their websites and such? Or do they also need a day job or can you live comfortably with what you can make on youtube? Are there figures or statistics to show how much an channel with certain followers can earn a month? And I noticed some of these youtubers have backing from certain companies in the background. How do these arrangements come to being and work and how do these companies monetize and profit out of the channels because I don't see a lot of revenue streams when I see these videos. I kinda feel bad I use adblock on some of my favorite channels. Am I denying them some revenue in using adblock? So many questions!!! Smiley Surprised

Nevertheless I am glad nowadays it is easier to make a living doing things you love using these platforms and I hope such opportunities get plentiful as time goes on.

Message 1 of 8 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Re: How do Youtube personalities earn a living?

Jan 23, 2014

abhijtv wrote:

How do these youtubers earn a living? Is it just through ads or do they supplement it with things like merchandize on their websites and such? Or do they also need a day job or can you live comfortably with what you can make on youtube? Are there figures or statistics to show how much an channel with certain followers can earn a month? And I noticed some of these youtubers have backing from certain companies in the background. How do these arrangements come to being and work and how do these companies monetize and profit out of the channels because I don't see a lot of revenue streams when I see these videos. I kinda feel bad I use adblock on some of my favorite channels. Am I denying them some revenue in using adblock? So many questions!!! Smiley Surprised

Nevertheless I am glad nowadays it is easier to make a living doing things you love using these platforms and I hope such opportunities get plentiful as time goes on.

YouTube channels that are successful gain a percentage of advertising revenue from YouTube/Google, but that is anything but consistent.  Many have gone the route of podcasters, and gone with direct advertisment sponsors (promotional consideration).  many also do the merchandise thing, as you asked.  

If you are using AdBlock, you are definitely depriving some income to many YouTube channels.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 2 of 8 (165 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

abhijtv wrote:

YouTube channels that are successful gain a percentage of advertising revenue from YouTube/Google, but that is anything but consistent.  Many have gone the route of podcasters, and gone with direct advertisment sponsors (promotional consideration).  many also do the merchandise thing, as you asked.  

If you are using AdBlock, you are definitely depriving some income to many YouTube channels.

So, is it hard to make a living on Youtube? It looks actually interesting. But with the copyright problems on Youutbe, it isn't that good.

Message 3 of 8 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 23, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

abhijtv wrote:

So, is it hard to make a living on Youtube?

YES.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 4 of 8 (137 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Jan 23, 2014
I am pretty sure those people have jobs but can make a decent amount of money on youtube depending on many people watch their videos and subscribe if they are a Youtube partner.
Message 5 of 8 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Jan 23, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

abhijtv wrote:

So, is it hard to make a living on Youtube? It looks actually interesting. But with the copyright problems on Youutbe, it isn't that good.

Yes, I must agree with the copyright thing. It is extremely easy for companies to abuse the copyright claims system of Youtube and shutdown those voices that disagree with them or put them in bad light. A glaring example of this is the "Gary's Day One Incident incident" on youtube where a reviewer gave it an appalling review as it is indeed one lousy game. And the company claimed infringement and stuff leading to that video being taken down and loss of revenue for the reviewer. Worse still the CEO of said company specifically gave access to a review code to do his review and also specifically told on the forums that gamers can make videos on youtube of their game and even monetize it. Further, other less popular videos weren't attacked. And more recently a favorite youtube game critic, AngryJoe, has had a swarm of claims, about 64-66 claims that is taking a lot of his time to work out and in the meantime he lost revenue from all the disputed videos.

The scary thing is if these guys get 3 DMCA notices, their channel is gone for good. Right now there is no clear solution to reinstate a channel that is taken down. If it is down that is the end of their livelihood and perhaps career. What is so bad about this is that Youtube doesn't even wait till the courts decide if those DMCA notices are legit or frivolous, meaning even if all three of them are frivolous and uncalled for you can still be royally screwed. It is thanks to the backing that these guys have that they even have the chance to appeal these. Smaller players are basically out of luck and must defend themselves all by themselves.

The Youtube copyright claims is woefully broken and should be fixed, however it still looks like a promising platform with its flaws.

Message 6 of 8 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Demonhunter84 wrote:
I am pretty sure those people have jobs but can make a decent amount of money on youtube depending on many people watch their videos and subscribe if they are a Youtube partner.

Many video producers quit their jobs and live exclusively off of their ad revenue and sponsorships, such as Boogie 2988, ReviewTechUSA, PewdiePie, BlackNerdComedy, & TotalBiscuit.

Many others moonlight, as you have postulated.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 7 of 8 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2971 posts

Jan 23, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Demonhunter84 wrote:

Many video producers quit their jobs and live exclusively off of their ad revenue and sponsorships, such as Boogie 2988, ReviewTechUSA, PewdiePie, BlackNerdComedy, & TotalBiscuit.

Many others moonlight, as you have postulated.

Love them two channels, great guys. 

photo Steak_zps70cec71c.jpg
Message 8 of 8 (102 Views)
0 Likes