Highlighted
Nov 30 2006
By: OprahDust~ Gaming Beast 2382 posts

How To Fight Back At Those Spam Bulletins & Comments On MySpace

9 replies 3 views Edited Nov 30, 2006

are you finding bulletins in your list that you didn't post? maybe comments sent to your friends that you didn't post?

you can stop this by changing your password! a spammer has access to your account. they're using it to market their junk to your friends via YOUR bulletins and YOUR comments. fight back by changing your password!!

now how did they get your password? it's called phishing. somewhere on myspace you clicked on a link, profile, page - something, and you saw the myspace login page. but wait - it wasn't really the myspace login page. it was a FAKE LOGIN PAGE.  that fake page was created by a spammer who is waiting for you to enter your email and password. once you've done that, he's stores your info. then he runs scripts to send bulletin spam and comment spam on myspace.

so don't fall for the trap - check the address bar at the top of the page and make sure you never login unless you're on "myspace.com". to be totally safe, type 'myspace.com' everytime you see the login page. if you type in myspace.com, you'll know you're on the right login page.

p.s. if you see a friend posting junk on their bulletins, send them a link to my blog so they know what's up !

look at these screen shots for examples. in these two cases, the spammer used a myspace profile (so the link still says myspace), but its not the login.myspace page - its a profile page with code in it made to look like a login page.

example 1
example 2
example 3  

you may be looking at these and thinking how can i ever tell the differnece btween the real login.myspace.com page and one of these fakes? its a subtle difference! answer: NEVER login on this page. if you are logged out of myspace, just type www.myspace.com yourself, and then you'll know the login page is real!!

In times of economic uncertainty, the world turns to Open Source

http://www.youtube.com/OprahDust
Message 1 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3560 posts

Re: How To Fight Back At Those Spam Bulletins & Comments On MySpace

Nov 30, 2006
NICE
Message 2 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
952 posts

Nov 30, 2006
haha
Message 3 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10140 posts

Nov 30, 2006
 I did that once, and downloaded spyware
Chuf it out.
Message 4 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Nov 30, 2006
I cannot believe how many people fall for these and not JUST on Myspace.  Gaia Online, Guild Wars...almost everywhere I go with a password people get scammed.....or 'hacked'.  It's simple.  Don't give it out.  MAYBE I'm just callous after seeing it so often and the same way I don't feel bad for the people who make an honest mistake.  It's convincing but.....it's also common sense.  I also see people TELLING you not to fall for it and what to watch for over and over.  I sometimes wish I was a jerk...or crooked.  Then I could scam people and laugh.  I don't and I have a conscious/aren't a jerk.  I don't see the point myself......and it angers me this is all kiddie league.  Professionals do this to average people and pull CREDIT CARD numbers and bank information.....and I find it all frustrating. 
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 5 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2382 posts

Dec 1, 2006

Vedel Minashigo wrote:
I cannot believe how many people fall for these and not JUST on Myspace.  Gaia Online, Guild Wars...almost everywhere I go with a password people get scammed.....or 'hacked'.  It's simple.  Don't give it out.  MAYBE I'm just callous after seeing it so often and the same way I don't feel bad for the people who make an honest mistake.  It's convincing but.....it's also common sense.  I also see people TELLING you not to fall for it and what to watch for over and over.  I sometimes wish I was a jerk...or crooked.  Then I could scam people and laugh.  I don't and I have a conscious/aren't a jerk.  I don't see the point myself......and it angers me this is all kiddie league.  Professionals do this to average people and pull CREDIT CARD numbers and bank information.....and I find it all frustrating. 

yeah, but this can actually fool n00bs easily

Message 6 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6938 posts

Dec 1, 2006
You copied Tom's exact words. lol
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2382 posts

Dec 1, 2006

az009 wrote:
You copied Tom's exact words. lol

never said i wrote it myself

Message 8 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
868 posts

Re: Re: How To Fight Back At Those Spam Bulletins & Comments On MySpace

Dec 1, 2006
._. I got this one weird message from my sister... maybe someone got her pass =o

I have an FFXII based forum, and it really need's members Smiley Happy Please visit Esper Valley if your a fan. I'll give you dolla if you check it out Smiley Very Happy
Message 9 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1291 posts

Dec 1, 2006
the truth about this is that Tom overlooked the fact that the people can't see the bulletins unless someone replies to them. in terms of the comments, i'm not sure, but people probably can't see them either unless someone tells them.

the lesson:

TELL YOUR FRIENDS. REPLY TO THE BULLETINS AND TELL THEM TO CHANGE THEIR PASSWORDS.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 10 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes