my wii friend code: ADD ME! 5992 2332 9248 8590
Then shoot me a PM so I can add You..Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12385 posts

Re: Hero, Anti-Hero or Villain?

Nov 17, 2006
"anti-hero has widely come to mean a fictional character who has some characteristics that are antithetical to those of the traditional hero. An anti-hero in today's books and films will perform acts generally deemed "heroic," but will do so with methods, manners, or intentions that may not be heroic. The actual use of the word, however, is fairly recent, and its primary meaning has somewhat changed. As recently as 1940, the 600,000-word Merriam-Webster New International Dictionary, Second Edition, listed it but without a definition. By 1992 the American Heritage Dictionary of the American Language defined an anti-hero only as "a main character in a dramatic or narrative work who is characterized by a lack of traditional heroic qualities, such as idealism or courage," not as a person who nevertheless performs heroic acts. Even the more recent Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition, of 2004, says: "(1714): a protagonist or notable figure who is conspicuously lacking in heroic qualities." The original meaning, therefore, is that of a protagonist who is ineffectual and hapless, rather than resolute and determined, whether his motives are good or bad. In some instances, anti-hero has come to refer to a protagonist of a work whose actions and motives are villainous or questionable.

Thus, anti-heroes can be awkward, antisocial, alienated, cruel, obnoxious, passive, pitiful, obtuse, or just ordinary. When the anti-hero is a central character in a work of fiction the work will frequently deal with the effect their flawed character has on them and those they meet along the narrative. In other words, an anti-hero is a protagonist that lives by the guidance of their own moral compass, striving to define and construe their own values as opposed to those recognized by the society in which they live. Additionally, the work may depict how their character alters over time, either leading to punishment, un-heroic success, or redemption."

Wikipedia

Slapshot55 wrote:
wait... What?! whats the difference between an anti-hero and a villian?

Message 12 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1140 posts

Nov 17, 2006

T-sion wrote:
anti-hero,looks mean,but serious like a hero

same here
Photobucket
Message 13 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15009 posts

Nov 17, 2006
He looks like a cold calculating villain. Like a psychic type.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 14 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3663 posts

Nov 17, 2006
"wait... What?! whats the difference between an anti-hero and a villian?"

To answer your question and anti-hero is a good guy without being good.  The Punisher,Batman, and Travis Bickle (Robert De niro) from the Taxi are good examples of  anti-heroes.  Anti-Heroes are the good guys by default as there are no real heroes around (lesser of two evils).  A common thing you see with anti-heroes is that they are always angry or have a score to settle (revenge). 

Personally the 3d image looks like a villain to me

Message Edited by satanic-bleue on 11-16-2006 06:27 PM

nexgenwars.com
Message 15 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12385 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Yeah it does. I know in Anime they say that villains have pointy chis, small pupils, strong facial features, etc... The hero usually has rounded chin, some facial features, near large or medium pupils, etc... Anti hero, usually in between.

satanic-bleue wrote:

To answer your question and anti-hero is a good guy without being good.  The Punisher and Travis Bickle (Robert De niro) from the Taxi are good examples of  anti-heroes.

Message 16 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12385 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Also Ichigo from BLEACH.

satanic-bleue wrote:

To answer your question and anti-hero is a good guy without being good.  The Punisher,Batman, and Travis Bickle (Robert De niro) from the Taxi are good examples of  anti-heroes.  Anti-Heroes are the good guys by default as there are no real heroes around (lesser of two evils).  A common thing you see with anti-heroes is that they are always angry or have a score to settle (revenge). 

Message Edited by satanic-bleue on 11-16-2006 06:27 PM

Message 17 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5565 posts

Nov 17, 2006
the pic on the very right makes him look like a villain, but the others make him look like a hero i guess.
Message 18 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
608 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Looks like he could be a hero, but at the same time be a villain.

Message 19 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12385 posts

Nov 17, 2006
I agree, but funny thing is is that he is just looking down direction wise, but eyes looking up. I guess this is just a "villainy" look.

Geostigma wrote:
the pic on the very right makes him look like a villain, but the others make him look like a hero i guess.

Message 20 of 66 (1 View)
0 Likes