Nov 30 2005
By: JapS2438~ Fender Bender 3748 posts

Help on Science...

24 replies 1552 views Edited Nov 30, 2005
It is on Newton's second law of motion, so if anybody has perfected this section, thank you if you can help me with this.Smiley HappyIf there is any mistakes or incorrections, thank you if you can correct me. ANd for those that I ddin't answer, can you also help me with that? Thanks again.

1.Gravity is a (force,mass,distance). Answer:force

2.The friction involved in a wagon moving down a hill is (static,sliding,rolling) friction. Answer:Rolling

3.As the force acting on you increases, your acceleration
(increases,decreases,remains the same). Answer:Increases

4.The unit of force is the (meter,hertz,newton). Answer: Newton

5.If you go to the moon, your mass (increases,decreases,remains the same). Answer:Remains the same

6.As you glide across a frozen pond, (static,sliding,rolling) friction is acting on your skates. Answer: I didn't find out the answer.

7.If there is no change in force as you increase the mass a truck is carrying, its acceleration (increases,decreases,remains the same). Answer: I couldn't solve tihs one either.

8.An ant falling from the roof of a house lands unharmed because of (gravity, static friction, air resistance). Answer:Air resistance

Problems 9-12, if the following statements are true, write true. IF the statements are false, replace the term or phrase that is in CAPITALIZED words to make the sentence true.

9. If you go to the moon, your weight would STAY THE SAME. ANswer: False, not stay the same

10. Given the same force, a baseball will accelerate FASTER than a tennis ball. Answer: True?

11.The force always acting on everything on Earth is GRAVITY. Answer: Don't KNow.

12. ROLLING FRICTION keeps a wagon from rolling until it is pushed. Answer: Static friction?

13-15, solve the following problems in the spaces provided.

13. A force of 40 N is exerted on a 10-kg box. What is the box's acceleration? Answer: Acceleration=4N/kg

14.What unbalanced force is required to accelerate a 1,500 kg-race car at 3.0m/s^2? Answer: Force=4,500 N

15. If a student has a mass of 90 kg, what is the student's weight? Answer: Weight=882 N]

Thank you so much if you can take your time helping me. I aprreciate if you do and thanks again.Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3441 posts

Re: Help on Science...

Nov 30, 2005

JapS2438 wrote:

6.As you glide,across a frozen pond, (static,sliding,rolling) friction is acting on,your skates. Answer: I didn't find out the answer.
,Glide=Slide

7.If there is no change in force as you increase the,mass a truck is carrying, its acceleration (increases,decreases,remains,the same). Answer: I couldn't solve tihs one either.
,Decrease, if your mass increases while the pushing force remains the same your speed will decrease.

9. If you go to the moon, your weight would STAY THE SAME. ANswer: False, not stay the same

,False, it would decrease because of less gravity. Not stay the same is,right, just what I put it is a bit more accurate not sure what type of,answers your teacher takes.
10. Given the same force, a baseball will accelerate FASTER than a tennis ball. Answer: True?
,Hmmm no idea.

11.The force always acting on everything on Earth is GRAVITY. Answer: Don't KNow.
,True

12. ROLLING FRICTION keeps a wagon from rolling until it is pushed. Answer: Static friction?

,I'm not sure, but that sounds right.
,I don't know the forumulas so no way to double check.

Message 2 of 25 (1,552 Views)
Fender Bender
4354 posts

Nov 30, 2005
 6.As you glide across a frozen pond, (static,sliding,rolling) friction,is acting on your skates. Answer: kinetic (I assume sliding is what it is)

7.If there is no change in force as you increase the mass a truck is,carrying, its acceleration (increases,decreases,remains the same).,Answer: decreases
F= ma bigger m will be compensated with lowering a because f is constant

11.The force always acting on everything on Earth is GRAVITY. Answer: False there are other types of forces that act on various objects

Photobucket
Message 3 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Nov 30, 2005

Hawks58 wrote:

JapS2438 wrote:

6.As you glide across a frozen pond, (static,sliding,rolling) friction is acting on your skates. Answer: I didn't find out the answer.

Glide=Slide

7.If there is no change in force as you increase the mass a truck is carrying, its acceleration (increases,decreases,remains the same). Answer: I couldn't solve tihs one either.

Decrease, if your mass increases while the pushing force remains the same your speed will decrease.

False, it would decrease because of less gravity. Not stay the same is right, just what I put it is a bit more accurate not sure what type of answers your teacher takes.

Hmmm no idea.

True

I'm not sure, but that sounds right.

I don't know the forumulas so no way to double check.

So I got the others right? Thanks... Oh yeah on 13-15, here are the formulas: Acceleration=force divided by mass, weight=mass x acceleration due to gravity or 9.8 m/s^2.

Message 4 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3441 posts

Nov 30, 2005

Ruud_Van_Nistelrooy wrote:

11.The force always acting on everything on Earth is GRAVITY. Answer: False there are other types of forces that act on various objects

There are other forces, but gravity, always is acting on everything.
Message 5 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4354 posts

Nov 30, 2005

Hawks58 wrote:

the question seems to me is saying the only force that acts on objects on earth is gravity.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2019 posts

Nov 30, 2005
theres always powerful forces acting upon me....and usually come out in a loud noise of some sort

Hawks58 wrote:

the question seems to me is saying the only force that acts on objects on earth is gravity.

Message 7 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Nov 30, 2005

Hawks58 wrote:

I could repeat the question. The force always acing on everything on Eath is GRAVITY. tRUE? yes?

Message 8 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
733 posts

Nov 30, 2005
Alright, Number 6 is SLIDING, Number 7 is INCREASES, Number 10 is FALSE, Number 11 is TRUE, Number 12 is FALSE. That's the best I can do, hope it helps.
Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!
Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!

Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 9 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3748 posts

Nov 30, 2005

Mithmaur wrote:
Alright, Number 6 is SLIDING, Number 7 is INCREASES, Number 10 is FALSE, Number 11 is TRUE, Number 12 is FALSE. That's the best I can do, hope it helps.

YOu're right for number 6, but for 7 is increases? If you're pushing a truck but the mass of the truck is increasing, shouldn't the acceleration decrease since it gets heavier? number 10, that one I'm unsure, 11, yup got true, 12 is false? Is there a word that should replace ROLLING FRICTION? Well, at least you did your best, thanks though.Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 25 (1,552 Views)
0 Likes