Treasure Hunter
7356 posts

Re: Help me out! Talk to me about Video Game Retailers!

May 1, 2013

Here are my opinions:

1. Digital Downloads Are the Future - If you have a fast Internet connection, you know why. I live 30+ miles from my nearest retailer and love being to download games from home; it saves a lot of gas money.

2. If You Decide to Buy Customers' Games, Don't Rip Them Off - I know GameStop has to make a profit, but they are notorious for ripping people off. Try to offer better deals than GameStop when buying games.

3. Offer Great Deals - As a newfound PC gamer, I often find great deals on video games. For instance, I bought Bioshock 1 and 2, in a bundle, for 90% off. If your store were to offer promotions like that, you would become a hit. The trick is managing it so you make a profit Smiley Wink

4. Game Stations - This is a very innovative idea: essentially, you have stations in your store where a customer can play the latest Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, etc. games and hang out with other gamers. My friend Rsteele on these forums owns a business like that, so you should talk to him about it.

5. Hire Knowledgeable and Unbiased Employees - Although GameStop hires knowledgeable employees (most of the time), they tend to be biased and shove their opinions down your throat. For instance, if go into a GameStop and buy a PS3 game, you risk facing some Xbox fanboy who will tell you why the 360 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. People don't like that.

6. Offer Chocolate Milk - Chocolate Milk-ism is a serious issue. Many people are addicted to chocolate milk, and they need their fix. Please offer fresh chocolate milk--by the jug--for me chocolate milk addicts Smiley Tongue

PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 11 of 14 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55490 posts

May 1, 2013

Kidd_E-V wrote:

I am a student who is currently taking a class on Business Management. I was recently assigned a project in which an early component is to gather data from consumers that would be useful in starting a business and selling a product. 

Loving the PlayStation brand since I was a wee lad, I decided to turn to you, the community, to understand what you like, dislike, and want to see as future developments in video game retailers (specifically brick-and-mortar stores). I am not sure what responses to expect if I even get any, but I'm hoping for at least 50. 

If you guys are interested, I'd just like to know quickly what you like or dislikes about companies that sell video games, and what you would like to see from them in the future.

I like Brick and Mortar for pre-orders as I can get it release day without having to wait for shipping.

I dislike the low trade in but high re-sell prices they give for games, I find I get a better value selling my older games on Amazon.com and buying used games that way as well. 

I have a BBA and had some projects just like this which I had to do.  If you need something more specific or someone to bounce something off of let me know, if I don't respond here PM me. 

Message 12 of 14 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

[ Edited ]
May 1, 2013

Yes, we could all use fresh milk =) Thanks Plymco. What I could use is a board where I would be sure to get more responses. I didn't know if this topic would have been applicable in PS General though.

EDIT: Sorry if I offended anyone with my snappy comment yesterday.

Freeflow-style player. Rapid adjustment to all situations.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 14 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
70 posts

May 1, 2013
People... please don't abandon me yet.
Freeflow-style player. Rapid adjustment to all situations.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 14 (39 Views)
0 Likes