Fender Bender
3059 posts

Re: Help choosing a laptop.

Nov 17, 2006

RedForeman wrote:

wrote:
Original Poster:

And keep in mind that for $795 (before shipping and taxes, and after $50 mail in rebate), you can build a system at HP with a Turion64 X2, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, a 256MB GeForce Go 7200, and a DVD burner. That is without the recovery DVDs. If you plan to use Quickplay, I HIGHLY recommend the HP Remote for $15. That system right there will honestly be the best deal on a Windows laptop that you can find. You can even take off $80 and go with the fastest Sempron they offer, and it will still be a blazingly fast system for just over $700 and better than anyother deal you'll find anywhere else. And it'll be MUCH better than any Dell you can find.

What are you talking about? HP offers more for the money than Dell. Dell's are also loaded with all kinds of bloatware, adware, and in some cases, even spyware.

HP offers a CLEAN Windows disc if you pay the extra $20. So you don't have to deal with ANY of the junk that Dell gives you.

There aren't ANY Dells on the Dell site right now that offer equal power to what I just built for such a low price.

HP does not offer more for the money than Dell.

Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 80GB, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability, 802.11b/g, 1yr Warranty, ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ » for $649  at Dell.com

^^ And that is shipped.

As for Dells coming pre-loaded with annoying crap, yeah I agree. Furthermore, before ratchet jawing about my not knowing what I am talking about, you should check the links I provided. That is what they are there for and learn how to use the Dell website. Roughly a 150 dollar savings by the time you factor in shipping on that HP.

Message Edited by RedForeman on 11-16-2006 02:40 PM

The Radeon Xpress 1150? NO THANK YOU.

The Radeon Xpress 1150 is a slightly upgraded version of the Xpress 200M. It's slightly faster and it supposedly fixes the issues the Xpress 200 had (like horrid USB 2.0 support). But seeing as how this is ATI and they have as many issues as Windows, I wouldn't trust their word as far as I could throw them. Not to mention ATI's drivers are still absolute ****. I know this from experience with BOTH of my systems that have ATI cards in them.

Not only that, but of all the people I know with Dells, they all have major problems that have gone unresolved by Dell. You should even check Digg.com to see what kind of language Dell will use when talking to their customers about the crapware Dell ships on their systems.

Dell's screens don't seem to be as high quality as HP screens either. Well, the laptop screens. Dell's standalone monitors are only slightly worse than Apples (purchased from the same manufacturer).

Dells also don't come with any kind of neat "Quickplay" features either.

You get what you pay for. The system I built for just under $800 is significantly better than the Dells in that it comes with a DEDICATED nVidia card and a CLEAN Windows installation.

Even the system I priced for $750 with the 12 cell battery is better than Dell. Much longer battery life, a dedicated NVIDIA card, and again, the possibility of a CLEAN Windows installation.

You know, theres a number of reasons HP overtook Dell the last quarter as the number 1 PC manufacturer Mostly because Dell makes low quality products and has even worse customer support than HP.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 31 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 17, 2006

jman1288 wrote:
well i checked the dell website and the hp laptop definantly has better features. and yo. i'm thinkin bout downgrading the screensize for a better processor. here's what i got now.
hp dv2000z
– FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!! – AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB) – FREE Upgrade to 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!! – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 – HP Imprint Finish + Microphone – 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) – FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM – FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support – 802.11b/g WLAN – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery – HP Mobile Remote Control

all for about 780 bucks

Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 04:49 PM

Go there, click customize,

Pick XP Media Center, Sempron at 1.8GHz,  256MB GeForce Go 7200, (forget the HP finish), 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, and the 12 cell battery. After rebate, but before shipping and taxes, thats just a little over $750. The processor is only marginally slower than the Turion64 MK36, though it should still be a 64-bit processor anyway. All of the new Semprons are 64-bit. But you're going to want to use Vista 32-bit anyway until drivers for ALL of your devices are available for Vista 64-bit (and that could be some time off). The Sempron, in a real world situation, shouldn't even be 10% slower than that Turion. And they're still both VERY fast processors. Better than the Intel Core Solo/Centrino, but not better than the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo.

And you said you're at college, right? If you're going to be using the system in classes throughout the day, battery life is a more important factor than anything else. The 12 cell battery will get you up to 5 hours of battery life.

You can get the DV2000z (the other system you are looking at) with a 12 cell battery for just over $800. However, you can get the DV6000z with the BIGGER screen, the Turion64, the GeForce Go 7200, 12 cell battery, DVD burner, 1GB of RAM, all that good stuff for just under $800 after rebate. Honestly, the dv6000z is the way to go.

Message 32 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 17, 2006

RedForeman wrote:
I don't understand you guys' logic, its clear that Dell offers the same features at a lower price OR more features for the same price IF you use the links I gave you to get the best value from the Dell website. I will not continue in this thread because I don't care what you buy, but I had to point this out because it seems to be going right over you guys' heads.

Theres no reason to buy Dell. They give you too much crapware, their customer support is even worse than HPs, and their consumer products actually feel like they're cheaply built. They feel more like toys than computers. HP computers feel and are built solid.

Message 33 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 17, 2006

wrote:

jman1288 wrote:
well i checked the dell website and the hp laptop definantly has better features. and yo. i'm thinkin bout downgrading the screensize for a better processor. here's what i got now.
hp dv2000z
– FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!! – AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB) – FREE Upgrade to 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!! – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 – HP Imprint Finish + Microphone – 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) – FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM – FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support – 802.11b/g WLAN – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery – HP Mobile Remote Control

all for about 780 bucks

Pick XP Media Center, Sempron at 1.8GHz,  256MB GeForce Go 7200, (forget the HP finish), 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, and the 12 cell battery. After rebate, but before shipping and taxes, thats just a little over $750. The processor is only marginally slower than the Turion64 MK36, though it should still be a 64-bit processor anyway. All of the new Semprons are 64-bit. But you're going to want to use Vista 32-bit anyway until drivers for ALL of your devices are available for Vista 64-bit (and that could be some time off). The Sempron, in a real world situation, shouldn't even be 10% slower than that Turion. And they're still both VERY fast processors. Better than the Intel Core Solo/Centrino, but not better than the Core Duo or Core 2 Duo.

And you said you're at college, right? If you're going to be using the system in classes throughout the day, battery life is a more important factor than anything else. The 12 cell battery will get you up to 5 hours of battery life.

You can get the DV2000z (the other system you are looking at) with a 12 cell battery for just over $800. However, you can get the DV6000z with the BIGGER screen, the Turion64, the GeForce Go 7200, 12 cell battery, DVD burner, 1GB of RAM, all that good stuff for just under $800 after rebate. Honestly, the dv6000z is the way to go.

thanks bro. that really helped. i didn't kno the sempron was that fast so i woulda been wasting money on the other processor. and i'll take ur advice on the battery. but won't the big bulky 12 cell battery make the laptop less compact?
Message 34 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 17, 2006

jman1288 wrote:

wrote:

jman1288 wrote:
hp dv2000z

all for about 780 bucks

thanks bro. that really helped. i didn't kno the sempron was that fast so i woulda been wasting money on the other processor. and i'll take ur advice on the battery. but won't the big bulky 12 cell battery make the laptop less compact?

hey would i be fine with the GeForce Go 6150 w/Productivity Ports rather than the GeForce Go 7200. i'm saving like 50 dollars this way.
Message 35 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 17, 2006

jman1288 wrote:

jman1288 wrote:

wrote:

jman1288 wrote:
hp dv2000z

all for about 780 bucks

hey would i be fine with the GeForce Go 6150 w/Productivity Ports rather than the GeForce Go 7200. i'm saving like 50 dollars this way.

Will you be doing any gaming at all? If you are, then the 7200 will make a world of difference. The 6150 will still be able to play games, but that 7200 will definitely give you more than a $50 performance boost.

Think about things this way.. if you're going to be doing any kind of gaming, the Turion + 7200 cost maybe a combined total of $100? You'll definitely get more than $100 worth of performance out of it, espicially in 2-3 years. But if you're just going to be listening to music, watching DVDs, using Windows in general... then you're not going to notice an ounce of difference between the Turion + 7200 or the Sempron + 6150. The Sempron + 7200 is a pretty good combination too. Not high end by any means (of course, $800 laptop isn't going to be high end at all). But just think about that. The Sempron + 7200 or the Turion + 7200 will be a little more future proof and might get you that extra year or so use out of it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this earlier.. that Turion *might* offer better power management features than the Sempron.

And to answer your other question, the 12 cell battery will add a little bit of bulk to the overall system. Not too much. But it will. The system will still fit in most cases without a problem. And you can always take the battery out and drop it in the case next to the system. But if you're going to be taking your computer to classes without any plugs, the 2-2.5 hours of life the 6 cell will get you is just not worth it. If you have 3 classes in one day you'll be done half way through that second class, if not sooner. But the 12 cell, with the screen set to the lowest brightness, Windows set to "max battery", and your GPU set to whatever it's max power management features are, you should easily be able to last for a full day of classes.

Message 36 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 17, 2006

wrote:

jman1288 wrote:

jman1288 wrote:

wrote:

jman1288 wrote: well i checked the dell website and the hp laptop definantly has better features. and yo. i'm thinkin bout downgrading the screensize for a better processor. here's what i got now. hp dv2000z – FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!! – AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB) – FREE Upgrade to 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!! – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 – HP Imprint Finish + Microphone – 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) – FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM – FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support – 802.11b/g WLAN – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery – HP Mobile Remote Control all for about 780 bucks Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 04:49 PM

Will you be doing any gaming at all? If you are, then the 7200 will make a world of difference. The 6150 will still be able to play games, but that 7200 will definitely give you more than a $50 performance boost.

Think about things this way.. if you're going to be doing any kind of gaming, the Turion + 7200 cost maybe a combined total of $100? You'll definitely get more than $100 worth of performance out of it, espicially in 2-3 years. But if you're just going to be listening to music, watching DVDs, using Windows in general... then you're not going to notice an ounce of difference between the Turion + 7200 or the Sempron + 6150. The Sempron + 7200 is a pretty good combination too. Not high end by any means (of course, $800 laptop isn't going to be high end at all). But just think about that. The Sempron + 7200 or the Turion + 7200 will be a little more future proof and might get you that extra year or so use out of it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this earlier.. that Turion *might* offer better power management features than the Sempron.

And to answer your other question, the 12 cell battery will add a little bit of bulk to the overall system. Not too much. But it will. The system will still fit in most cases without a problem. And you can always take the battery out and drop it in the case next to the system. But if you're going to be taking your computer to classes without any plugs, the 2-2.5 hours of life the 6 cell will get you is just not worth it. If you have 3 classes in one day you'll be done half way through that second class, if not sooner. But the 12 cell, with the screen set to the lowest brightness, Windows set to "max battery", and your GPU set to whatever it's max power management features are, you should easily be able to last for a full day of classes.

ok. here's the deal. i only transfered a certain amount of money to my paypal account and time restraints won't allow me to wait for more to transfer. so i have to chose between the 12 cell battery or the 7200. i'm not that big of a pc gamer but i know i'm upgrading to windows vista home premium when it comes out. so should i be fine with the 6150 w/ports and a 12 cell battery?

Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 11:20 PM
Message 37 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 17, 2006

jman1288 wrote:

wrote:

jman1288 wrote:

jman1288 wrote:

wrote:

jman1288 wrote: well i checked the dell website and the hp laptop definantly has better features. and yo. i'm thinkin bout downgrading the screensize for a better processor. here's what i got now. hp dv2000z – FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!! – AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB) – FREE Upgrade to 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!! – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 – HP Imprint Finish + Microphone – 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) – FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM – FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support – 802.11b/g WLAN – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery – HP Mobile Remote Control all for about 780 bucks Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 04:49 PM

ok. here's the deal. i only transfered a certain amount of money to my paypal account and time restraints won't allow me to wait for more to transfer. so i have to chose between the 12 cell battery or the 7200. i'm not that big of a pc gamer but i know i'm upgrading to windows vista home premium when it comes out. so should i be fine with the 6150 w/ports and a 12 cell battery?

Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 11:20 PM

I suppose thats up to you. What will you be doing more and what is more important? Gaming or using it in class? The 6150 is alright, but it is lowend. It will play games like Half-Life 2 and UT2k4 pretty good. But you'll definitely have to lower the settings on newer games. And, you know, the 12 cell battery will definitely get you the battery life you need to last all day. The 6150 will run everything you through at it, just be realistic with your expectations (no FEAR at 1280x800 max settings) and it'll do fine.

Message 38 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3540 posts

Nov 17, 2006
macbook pro... period!

Message 39 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7280 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Just get a desktop they are better, if you are to college, nevermind
Signature removed by Admin due to advertising of a commercial nature.
Message 40 of 44 (1 View)
0 Likes