Fender Bender
3891 posts

Re: Help choosing a laptop.

Nov 16, 2006
the laptop is good
it has a "brightblah" screen too. aka reflection proof.
and im pretty sure that has "quickplay"
Message 21 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 16, 2006
welp. i lost my debit card so it looks like ima have to wait till my money transfers to a seperate account to buy it
Message 22 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16834 posts

Nov 16, 2006

jman1288 wrote:
welp. i lost my debit card so it looks like ima have to wait till my money transfers to a seperate account to buy it

you better call the bank rite away and tell em to suspend the debit card's use, or someone will find it and use it

Message 23 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 16, 2006
i did that. i'm more concerened about my money bein on hold for about 5 days while it transfers to my paypal account tho.

Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 03:31 PM
Message 24 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
24213 posts

Nov 16, 2006
Get this one: LONKITY
Photobucket
Message 25 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 16, 2006

jman1288 wrote:
ok here's the problem. i'm looking at the hp pavillion dv6000 series. it comes in two models. one is amd based and the other is intel based. if i get the amd which has a Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3500+ (1.80GHz/512KB) processor, i'll be able to get an 80 gb harddrive, a better monitor, and windows media center edition. if i get the one with the Intel(R) Core(TM) Solo processor T1350 (1.86 GHz) i'll be getting windows xp home edition, a 60 gb harddrive, and a mediocre screen. am i better off with the slower processor with better features?

Well, your first problem is looking at an HP and not a Dell. Dells have twice the features and cost around a third less. Your second problem is not buying online. (The only place to get a new Dell). Below are two sites which round up great tech deals, most of them on laptops. The sites also feature a Dell section and if you're still set on an HP, they list deals on a few of those as well. The sites:

www.edealinfo.com

www.deals2buy.com

Message Edited by RedForeman on 11-16-2006 01:49 PM
Message 26 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 16, 2006
Original Poster:

You should consider the Windows discs. Even if you have discs lying around, you'll NEED the disc that the serial number is for that comes with the computer.

Also, just go with the system you've picked out yourself at HP.com

The other systems people have linked to just aren't as good. They're either not as powerful (like the system posted at the top of the 3rd page), or they have the AWFUL ATI Xpress chipset (like the Acer at newegg a few posts below the other).

Just go with what you're getting. But be SURE to pick Windows XP Media Center so you can get the upgrade to Vista Home PREMIUM.

And keep in mind that for $795 (before shipping and taxes, and after $50 mail in rebate), you can build a system at HP with a Turion64 X2, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, a 256MB GeForce Go 7200, and a DVD burner. That is without the recovery DVDs. If you plan to use Quickplay, I HIGHLY recommend the HP Remote for $15. That system right there will honestly be the best deal on a Windows laptop that you can find. You can even take off $80 and go with the fastest Sempron they offer, and it will still be a blazingly fast system for just over $700 and better than anyother deal you'll find anywhere else. And it'll be MUCH better than any Dell you can find.

If you're going to be using it at college in classes, my personal recommendation would be to go with the fastest Sempron, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, 256MB GeForce Go 7200 (the 1GB of RAM and this GeForce will run Windows Vista MUCH better than the other available configurations), the DVD burner.... and get the 12 Cell battery. The 12 Cell battery will bump your battery life up to almost 5 hours. SO get that. With those specs and the 12 cell battery, you're looking at just over $750 before taxes and shipping and after rebate.

RedForeman wrote:

jman1288 wrote:
ok here's the problem. i'm looking at the hp pavillion dv6000 series. it comes in two models. one is amd based and the other is intel based. if i get the amd which has a Mobile AMD Sempron(TM) 3500+ (1.80GHz/512KB) processor, i'll be able to get an 80 gb harddrive, a better monitor, and windows media center edition. if i get the one with the Intel(R) Core(TM) Solo processor T1350 (1.86 GHz) i'll be getting windows xp home edition, a 60 gb harddrive, and a mediocre screen. am i better off with the slower processor with better features?

Well, your first problem is looking at an HP and not a Dell. Dells have twice the features and cost around a third less. Your second problem is not buying online. (The only place to get a new Dell). Below are two sites which round up great tech deals, most of them on laptops. The sites also feature a Dell section and if you're still set on an HP, they list deals on a few of those as well. The sites:

www.edealinfo.com

www.deals2buy.com

Message Edited by RedForeman on 11-16-2006 01:49 PM

What are you talking about? HP offers more for the money than Dell. Dell's are also loaded with all kinds of bloatware, adware, and in some cases, even spyware.

HP offers a CLEAN Windows disc if you pay the extra $20. So you don't have to deal with ANY of the junk that Dell gives you.

There aren't ANY Dells on the Dell site right now that offer equal power to what I just built for such a low price.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 27 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 16, 2006

wrote:
Original Poster:

And keep in mind that for $795 (before shipping and taxes, and after $50 mail in rebate), you can build a system at HP with a Turion64 X2, 1GB of RAM, 80GB HDD, a 256MB GeForce Go 7200, and a DVD burner. That is without the recovery DVDs. If you plan to use Quickplay, I HIGHLY recommend the HP Remote for $15. That system right there will honestly be the best deal on a Windows laptop that you can find. You can even take off $80 and go with the fastest Sempron they offer, and it will still be a blazingly fast system for just over $700 and better than anyother deal you'll find anywhere else. And it'll be MUCH better than any Dell you can find.

What are you talking about? HP offers more for the money than Dell. Dell's are also loaded with all kinds of bloatware, adware, and in some cases, even spyware.

HP offers a CLEAN Windows disc if you pay the extra $20. So you don't have to deal with ANY of the junk that Dell gives you.

There aren't ANY Dells on the Dell site right now that offer equal power to what I just built for such a low price.

HP does not offer more for the money than Dell.

Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50, 15.4" WXGA, 1GB RAM, 80GB, 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability, 802.11b/g, 1yr Warranty, ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ » for $649  at Dell.com

^^ And that is shipped.

As for Dells coming pre-loaded with annoying crap, yeah I agree. Furthermore, before ratchet jawing about my not knowing what I am talking about, you should check the links I provided. That is what they are there for and learn how to use the Dell website. Roughly a 150 dollar savings by the time you factor in shipping on that HP.

Message Edited by RedForeman on 11-16-2006 02:40 PM
Message 28 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Nov 16, 2006
well i checked the dell website and the hp laptop definantly has better features. and yo. i'm thinkin bout downgrading the screensize for a better processor. here's what i got now.
hp dv2000z
– FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!! – AMD Turion(TM) 64 Mobile MK-36 (2.0 GHz/512KB) – FREE Upgrade to 14.1" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!! – NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 6150 – HP Imprint Finish + Microphone – 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) – FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM – FREE Upgrade: 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support – 802.11b/g WLAN – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery – HP Mobile Remote Control

all for about 780 bucks

Message Edited by jman1288 on 11-16-2006 04:49 PM
Message 29 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Nov 16, 2006
I don't understand you guys' logic, its clear that Dell offers the same features at a lower price OR more features for the same price IF you use the links I gave you to get the best value from the Dell website. I will not continue in this thread because I don't care what you buy, but I had to point this out because it seems to be going right over you guys' heads.
Message 30 of 44 (0 Views)
0 Likes