Do you mean 
Jan 13 2013
By: myalana Ghost of Sparta 7477 posts

He, she and plural pronouns

[ Edited ]
8 replies 241 views Edited Jan 13, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

xMINDBlIlURx, xMindBendinglyx:

Though you have to remember, one official has to look and reply to all the support threads. Joystick, so I put myself in their shoes.

Would you want to answer the same 10 threads on one issue over and over?

I'm sure he or she hates having to sort through which threads are more needed for a reply, then which ones aren't.

:^/ You know, I've been seeing this increasingly among the younger generation, so it's time to straighten things out a bit. In the English language, the masculine pronoun is inclusive of the feminine. So, when one doesn't know which sex an individual is, one uses the masculine pronoun. instead of "he or she," the term "he" is correct. This is also how the term "mankind" refers to the entire human race, and not just the male sex, for example. Also, one does not use the plural to refer to a single individual. So, it should be "his shoes," instead of "their shoes." (Joystick's and who else's?) :^/ This is nothing personal, dude. I've seen this in most threads, and mentioning it had to start somewhere, because the alternative was to let it go uncorrected anywhere, which would be a disservice to the young folks. They need the good example, instead of the ...other kind.

Nothing personal, but I thought such conventions had loosened a bit so I checked on it. The following is from: http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/he-or-she-versus-they
‘He or she’ versus ‘they’

It’s often important to use language which implicitly or explicitly includes both men and women, making no distinction between the genders. This can be tricky when it comes to pronouns. In English, a person's gender is explicit in the third person singular pronouns (i.e., he, she, his, hers, etc.). There are no personal pronouns that can refer to someone (as opposed to something) without identifying whether that person is male or female. So, what should you do in sentences such as these?

If your child is thinking about a gap year, ? can get good advice from this website.
A researcher has to be completely objective in ? findings.

In the past, people tended to use the pronouns he, his, him, or himself in situations like this:

If your child is thinking about a gap year, he can get good advice from this website.
A researcher has to be completely objective in his findings.

Today, this approach is seen as outdated and sexist. There are other options which allow you to arrive at a ‘gender-neutral’ solution, as follows:
  •  You can use the wording ‘he or she’, ‘his or her’, etc.:
If your child is thinking about a gap year, he or she can get good advice from this website.
A researcher has to be completely objective in his or her findings.

This can work well, as long as you don’t have to keep repeating ‘he or she’, ‘his or her’, etc. throughout a piece of writing.

• You can make the relevant noun plural, rewording the sentence as necessary:
If your children are thinking about a gap year, they can get good advice from this website.
Researchers have to be completely objective in their findings.

This approach can be a good solution, but it won’t always be possible.

• You can use the plural pronouns ‘they’, ‘them’, ‘their’ etc., despite the fact that, technically, they are referring back to a singular noun:
If your child is thinking about a gap year, they can get good advice from this website.
A researcher has to be completely objective in their findings.

Some people object to the use of plural pronouns in this type of situation on the grounds that it’s ungrammatical. In fact, the use of plural pronouns to refer back to a singular subject isn’t new: it represents a revival of a practice dating from the 16th century. It’s increasingly common in current English and is now widely accepted both in speech and in writing.

Edit: Updated subject title to reflect discussion

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (241 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2733 posts

Re: He, she and plural pronouns

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

xMINDBlIlURx, xMindBendinglyx:

Though you have to remember, one official has to look and reply to all the support threads. Joystick, so I put myself in their shoes.

Would you want to answer the same 10 threads on one issue over and over?

I'm sure he or she hates having to sort through which threads are more needed for a reply, then which ones aren't.

:^/ You know, I've been seeing this increasingly among the younger generation, so it's time to straighten things out a bit. In the English language, the masculine pronoun is inclusive of the feminine. So, when one doesn't know which sex an individual is, one uses the masculine pronoun. instead of "he or she," the term "he" is correct. This is also how the term "mankind" refers to the entire human race, and not just the male sex, for example. Also, one does not use the plural to refer to a single individual. So, it should be "his shoes," instead of "their shoes." (Joystick's and who else's?) :^/ This is nothing personal, dude. I've seen this in most threads, and mentioning it had to start somewhere, because the alternative was to let it go uncorrected anywhere, which would be a disservice to the young folks. They need the good example, instead of the ...other kind.

D-Nitrate D-Clared:

With that in mind, I could use a shot of Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, as watching Sony completely fowl up what once had tremendous potential, and perhaps still does thanks to the tireless efforts of some of the 3rd party developers... But with Sony still at the helm, this ship called Home I'm afraid is currently headed straight for the rocks.

:^p Dude, after wading through this thread, I could really use a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, on the rocks. Thanks.

Edit: Updated subject title to reflect discussion.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (259 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
2884 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Edit: Moved from 'PS Home'.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (213 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28968 posts

Jan 13, 2013

I think this post was moved incorrectly, either that or something else has gone awry when it was moved, for example the first post has a quote in it, well that's odd for a start huh!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (182 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7240 posts

Jan 13, 2013
Finally someone with SPaG.
energy
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
7477 posts

Jan 13, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I think this post was moved incorrectly, either that or something else has gone awry when it was moved, for example the first post has a quote in it, well that's odd for a start huh!

I thought so too, but then umm...I think I better just leave it alone. On the plus side, I guess I don't have to worry about being on-topic so much here, eh?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (169 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2733 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

:^/ Indeed, the thread was moved incorrectly. What is now the first post had been quoting what is now the second post, which is confusing.

As for the new topic, I disagree that using the plural to refer to the singular is acceptable now. In the sixteenth century, few people were literate. In the twentieth century, most people were literate. In the twenty-first century, fewer people are literate again.

As for there being a lack of singular pronouns, one can find one, if one tries.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (152 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7477 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 14, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

:^/ Indeed, the thread was moved incorrectly. What is now the first post had been quoting what is now the second post, which is confusing.

As for the new topic, I disagree that using the plural to refer to the singular is acceptable now. In the sixteenth century, few people were literate. In the twentieth century, most people were literate. In the twenty-first century, fewer people are literate again.

As for there being a lack of singular pronouns, one can find one, if one tries.

Perhaps one can find find one, but it appears as though they don't have to. I will have to agree to disagree with you sir and side with the folks from the Oxford English Dictionary website on this one.

Sometimes the "younger generation" can teach the older generation a thing or two. The conventions from days gone by don't always apply and are not necessarily written in stone. I fall rather in the middle at 34 yrs of age....I try to be flexible and not think that I always know best when it comes to such matters.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (132 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 14, 2013
I fully support the use of gender nonbinary pronouns and being up and up on persons prefered pronouns. To say that preferancing "he" does nothing, even subconsious effects on interactions, is absurd.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (114 Views)
0 Likes