Treasure Hunter
5702 posts

Re: Having Surgery....

Feb 18, 2014

I had open eye surgery for a deattached retina and I was awake for it! Talk about pain and then 4 months of even more pain and losing mad weight lol.. But I was drugged up big time for it though haha but it was painful for those 4-5 months..

photo f9ed0560-3816-41c2-9bbf-cb66d0260acb_zpsyrnrzise.jpg
Message 11 of 19 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 18, 2014

lII-Venom-lII wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy done (through both ends...)

I sort of count it as a surgery because of the endoscopy. But it was no big deal. Now, the medicine you have to drink leading up to a colonoscopy is the worst thing you will ever suffer through. You have this gallon of disgusting medicine that will make you gag numerous times. I probably vomited up half of the medicine. The point of it is to clean out your bowels. And that part was no big deal either. Just that drink...I can still taste it if I think about it too hard.

May I ask what it was for? I remembered when I had a really bad stomach ach to the point where I was thinking of going to the E.R. The pain lasted for several months and I had strong nausea. I was thinking I had cancer and I would die a legend. Pain started in the upper left side. The pain went to my back and my arm and lasted for about an hour till it went away. I had a bunch of studies and in one it said that I peed out blood. I was sure I had cancer and I would die a legend but legends never die. Finally got a upper G.I. and I had nothing. Then the pain slowly went away and I got some pills and stuff for a few months and more studies. 

I was having colon issues and they diagnosed me as lactose intolerant. Symptoms were gone for awhile and re-emerged. Went on for four years before they decided to do the colonoscopy/endoscopy. It turned out to be ulcerative colitis. Basically ulcers in my colon (think of a knife slashing the inner parts of your colon). 

It was pretty bad and I will be on very expensive medicine for 10-40 years depending on when/if it goes into remission.

I am not a medical doctor, so I cannot tell what you have. Mine was, in essence, a "butt problem"

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 12 of 19 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 18, 2014

Having Laser Eye Surgery gives you such a weird feeling when the laser cuts through the flap of your eye. It's not painful... but something similar? For those who've had it, you know what I'm talking about Smiley Tongue 

young beard signature
Message 13 of 19 (130 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6855 posts

Feb 18, 2014

I have had my wisdom teeth removed and my appendix.  For the wisdom teeth, I was awake and it was not so bad.  Recovery wasn't too bad either; I took pain killers for a few days and how I ate was affected.

For the appendicitis they knocked me out, and I had some kind of reaction to the anesthesia.  It caused me to twitch and cramp up.  But beyond that initial moment (and the pain that remained from the cramps) it was fine.  I woke up groggy and in a bit of pain.  Walking was really hard when I first tried, especially with the IV still in I asked for a little help, but I recovered quickly and was in and out within a day.  I took pain killers (vicodin) for about a week and I probably could have used it a little longer; it was just a little uncomfortable when I ran out though, so I didn't bother.

Message 14 of 19 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 18, 2014

Anesthesia sure is a strange thing Robot Happy

young beard signature
Message 15 of 19 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1650 posts

Feb 18, 2014

Depends on what your consider surgery. I've had my wisdom teeth pulled, which went well. Although I had to stop taking the vicadin becasue I kept throwing up the meals I ate, so I took tylanol, which I have a high pain tolerance so it was ok.

I've had three serious surgerys all around when I was 7. I had Perthes Disease in my hip, which made my one leg shorter than the other and caused me to limp. I had to have my tendon cut (1st surgery), a metal plate put in my hip (2nd surgery), and the metal plate taken out (3rd surgery). I used a walker, crutches, went to therapy, had to have my leg elevated while sleeping. It was a long experience and one of the reasons today why I don't like going to hospitals too much. Needless to say I'm A OK today and it is fixed, just hope I don't have to go get anymore surgeries for a long time...

Word of advice, if you have a high pain tolernace, and think you can get away with not taking pain meds, than go ahead. I know for me certain pain meds didn't work or made things worse, so sometimes I opt out of taking them and just deal with the pain. Better than constantly popping pills all the time imo. Like for when I had my hip surgery, I don't think I took many pain meds and was fine. Just depends on what kind and how much pain you can deal with mentally.

Message 16 of 19 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7112 posts

Feb 18, 2014

I had surgery last June to repair my torn ACL in my left knee. It was an interesting experience, for sure. Very much so worth it, though. Physical therapy was tough as hell at first too, but that gradually got easier when I started getting more strength in my leg.

Message 17 of 19 (102 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Feb 18, 2014

JERM7 wrote:

I have had my wisdom teeth removed and my appendix.  For the wisdom teeth, I was awake and it was not so bad.  Recovery wasn't too bad either; I took pain killers for a few days and how I ate was affected.

For the appendicitis they knocked me out, and I had some kind of reaction to the anesthesia.  It caused me to twitch and cramp up.  But beyond that initial moment (and the pain that remained from the cramps) it was fine.  I woke up groggy and in a bit of pain.  Walking was really hard when I first tried, especially with the IV still in I asked for a little help, but I recovered quickly and was in and out within a day.  I took pain killers (vicodin) for about a week and I probably could have used it a little longer; it was just a little uncomfortable when I ran out though, so I didn't bother.

Yeah, there are multiple stages to being anesthetized.  The second stage of anesthesia is when your brain is basically going into the "coma" mode, and it is during this time where muscles will cramp and twitch at times.  A good anesthesiologist will try and use a cocktail of medicaitons to shorten this stage of anesthesia as much as possible. 

I'm not really all too worried about the pain.  I have a good pain tolerance, as mentioned before.  I walked on a completely shattered foot for two weeks before being coerced into seeing a doctor.  I was able to sleep at night, so hence I never sought treatment.  I only go to a doctor if I am unable to sleep.  With this shoulder injury, I was able to sleep through it for a while as it started out more as discomfort than it did pain.  As time went on, however, the discomfort changed into a diffuse pain throughout the shoulder and it was keeping me from sleeping.  Going nearly a full year without really having a solid night of sleep was really starting to take its toll on me.  Hence why I am taking the pain medications now.  Having used them before I am quite comfortable in knowing when to take breaks from them so I can do things like poop and also not develop a strong tolerance.  I will say, however, that being able to fall asleep and stay asleep for a full night is such a treat.  You really don't know just how much benefit sleep does for you until you go an extended period of time without really getting any.

Message 18 of 19 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Alright.  Found out today I'll be having surgery on March 4th.  Glad to be getting this out of the way soon so that I can be fully recovered by the time summer hits.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 19 (66 Views)
0 Likes