Aug 19 2013
By: Jdurg I Only Post Everything 926 posts

Have you ever suffered a punctured artery?

9 replies 172 views Edited Aug 19, 2013

Just wondering if this has happened to anybody else?  I use an insulin pump, and about an hour ago I went to change the insertion site.  When I went to pull the existing part out, there was suddenly a huge stream of blood that started streaming out of the site with spurts that came out every time my heart beat.

I'm guessing that when I inserted the part last time, it punctured an artery in my gut and kept the blood from pouring out by remaining in there.  So when I pulled it out, the "plug" was removed and the blood came pouring.  I immediately went and pushed against the bleeding wound with the, now ruined, shirt I was wearing.  I then raced into my bathroom leaving a trail of blood drops in order to get some gauze to soak up the blood.  In total, I think I only lost about 2 cups of blood before the wound sealed shut.  But good god did it look like a horror show in here.  I should go and let the local police department use my house for forensic blood examination now.  Lol.

So aside form a huge mess I'm trying to clean up and a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt now soaked with blood (enough blood where I can wring it out if I want to), I'm still here.  Smiley Very Happy  I am feeling VERY light-headed and a bit funky because of this, but I don't think it's too bad.  I'll see how I feel in the morning and when I go to the gym tomorrow as I'm now certainly a little short on blood and hemoglobin right now.  Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 10 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Have you ever suffered a punctured artery?

Aug 19, 2013
That last emoticon wasn't intentional; Jdurg here just passed out on his keyboard.

But you should probably get that looked at ASAP. The last thing you want is to jostle your wound the wrong way while sleeping, and wake up dead.
Message 2 of 10 (156 Views)
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 19, 2013

johngie wrote:
That last emoticon wasn't intentional; Jdurg here just passed out on his keyboard.

But you should probably get that looked at ASAP. The last thing you want is to jostle your wound the wrong way while sleeping, and wake up dead.

If I were you I would listen to johngie. You don't what kind of damage has been done to the blood vessel so it's best to get it checked out right away. Better be safe than sorry.

Message 3 of 10 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2123 posts

Aug 19, 2013

I haven't, but I used to suffer from some pretty bad nosebleeds before I had my right nostril cauterised. I even missed a few days of school because of them.

I always panicked whilst my nose bled, because I feared that I would either pass out of run out of blood.

Message 4 of 10 (128 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Aug 19, 2013
Well, I'm still here and there is no massive bruising showing up, so it does mean that the vessel is no longer leaking blood. Still, I applied an old trick I learned and that's putting superglue on the wound to bind it together tightly. Have also gone and put gauze on top and some butterfly bandages to ensure it stays tight. Still, I put some pretty good pressure in and around the area and no further blood has seeped out.

When taking a look back at the amount of blood that came out, it's akin to what you give up when you donate blood. Hence the light-headedness, dizziness, and just "odd" feeling.

I just now wish that I had it videotaped as it was really freaky seeing blood shooting out like that. Heh. It almost doesn't seem like blood there's so much of it. Lol. Now I've just got that nasty blood smell, like a rusted nail, on my clothes and all over the bathroom.

I know that I'll DEFINITELY be eating a nice steak for lunch and dinner tomorrow. Got to get my iron back. Smiley Tongue
Message 5 of 10 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9166 posts

Aug 19, 2013
omg. Fainted
Message 6 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20302 posts

Aug 19, 2013
Nope! I'm pretty safe with my actions and tend not to hurt myself very often. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 10 (109 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Aug 19, 2013
Woke up today feeling a bit funky stll, but not bad at all. Taking a look at the volume lost, it ended up being only a little bit more than what i would have donted if I went to a blood drive and donated blood. So that explains the little bit of dizziness from it all.

Though this morning I did find a few more puddles that I had missed last night. Broke out the H2O2 and cleaned up as much as possible. Still need to do some spot cleaning on the clothes that were saturated, but all-in-all not too bad.

I still wish I had the event on videotape, and from now on I know that I will only change the insertion site when I'm in the bathroom and have a wad of toilet paper handy to soak up blood if it comes out. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 10 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3578 posts

Aug 19, 2013
Good to see you're fine.
Message 9 of 10 (81 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Aug 19, 2013
Heh. Me too! Smiley Tongue

The best way to describe the situation is to take a garden hose and turn it on. Then take a needle and poke a hole in it. That's pretty much what it was like. Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 10 (71 Views)
0 Likes