Fender Bender
2698 posts

Re: Has your taste changed? Story of an awakened Gamer

Jan 19, 2013

As a kid, I played anything I could get my hands on.  (Sega Master System - SNES days) Plenty of side-scrollers and top-down shooters. Loved Mega Man X, Mario and Contra games.  In the arcades, I played a lot of top-down shooters like Raiden and any fighting game.

During the PS1 and N64 days, my taste in games expanded.  Gran Turismo was the first racer that I was addicted to.  Final Fantasy 7 was the very first RPG game I actually played and liked.  Resident Evil and Silent Hill were my first survival horror games.  MGS was my very first Metal Gear game.  I even had this game called MTV Music Generator.  It was just about making you own beats lol.

During the PS2 generation, I slowly drifted away from console gaming.  Finished high school, discovered alcohol, girls (lol), and party's and started working.  My PS2 was collecting dust, it was nothing more than a novelty item to me.  Never made the time to play MGS2 and 3. Barely got to play GT3 and 4.  Never touched Final Fantasy 11 and 12.  All I played was Counter-Strike 1.5 and 1.6 at this local lan center.  I was really into PC FPS games at this time.  Half-Life and F.E.A.R. were my favorite games.

Now this current generation.  I'm back to console gaming.  But my tastes in genres are even smaller now.  I don't see the point in spending a lot of money to build a gaming PC just to play Crisis lol.  I'm not a fan of console shooters either.  I find the "deathmatch" rules to be brainless.  No skill involved imo.  I pretty much drifted away from the shooting genre.  Action/adventure and RPG's, I don't play much of anymore.  Games this generation feel way too linear.  Not worth the $59.99 to me.

Fighting is probably the only genre I stick to now.  PSN and XBL is a big part of that.  Being able to play people from all over the country is great despite the lag.  I get so much satisfaction from beating another human player one on one w/o relying on teammates.  I still stick to certain franchises I grew up with.  Finished MGS4 and FF13.  Still playing GT5.  Resident Evil games went downhill imo since 5.  Its not even considered a survival horror, its a full blown action game imo.

I think pricing, dlc, and online passes is a big reason why I stay away from certain genres this generation.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 11 of 14 (62 Views)
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 19, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

In the arcades, I played a lot of top-down shooters like Raiden and any fighting game.

Oh man! I LOVE that game! Spent a lot of time on that one. I was 2nd top score at my arcade and could never beat this guy Bill who was in his 40's. He was just stupid good. His phone would ring and he'd play with one hand. I learned so much from him including taking out the first boss without moving lol. Strikers 1945 and Strikers 1945 Plus also took lot's of my money Smiley Happy

Raiden 3 is on PSN for $9.99 and sooo worth it!

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 12 of 14 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2698 posts

Jan 20, 2013

2nd place, nice.  I had a copy of Raiden 3 on PS2.  Could never get past the 3rd stage lol.  Raiden games are stupid hard lol.  Shoot em ups is the one genre I never got tired of.  I even had Raiden Trad on SNES.  It was a watered down version of the Arcade though.  R-Type games is my favorite too.  Played every generation of R-Type from arcade, sms, snes, ps1, to ps2.  Everyday Shooter was the first PSN I bought.  The PixelJunk shooters are cool too.  Geometry Wars on XBL made me so jealous of the xbox 360 lol.

Love how those games take so much skill and style to play.  The guys on youtube make it look so easy lol.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 13 of 14 (49 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 20, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

2nd place, nice.  I had a copy of Raiden 3 on PS2.  Could never get past the 3rd stage lol.  Raiden games are stupid hard lol.  Shoot em ups is the one genre I never got tired of.  I even had Raiden Trad on SNES.  It was a watered down version of the Arcade though.  R-Type games is my favorite too.  Played every generation of R-Type from arcade, sms, snes, ps1, to ps2.  Everyday Shooter was the first PSN I bought.  The PixelJunk shooters are cool too.  Geometry Wars on XBL made me so jealous of the xbox 360 lol.

Love how those games take so much skill and style to play.  The guys on youtube make it look so easy lol.

I got the chance to play both SNES and Genesis versions of Raiden Trad and I found the Genesis version to be the better one. It just felt better. The controls are a little tighter which makes a big difference. As for Raiden 3, it is really hard. I'm stuck at stage 5. I put it on very easy just to see the rest of the game to get an idea of what's ahead and it doesn't look like I'll ever finish the game on normal. I think there's 9 stages.

I'll check out those PSN shooters you mentioned.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 14 of 14 (44 Views)
0 Likes