Highlighted
Jun 24 2013
By: kratos_snake__ I Only Post Everything 802 posts

Hacked without giving Email and Password?!

9 replies 235 views Edited Jun 24, 2013
Ok, so the past few days I keep getting responses from people (some friends and others are people I have been in a party with) that say "they don't play on PC" as if I asked if they play games on PC. The thing is, I have not sent any message of that sort nor do I play PC myself. I am afraid that somehow, someone has hacked my account. I did add a random a few days ago that sent a FR out of the blue, but I always add people like that. I am truly confused. Help
Message 1 of 10 (235 Views)
Last Guardian
9074 posts

Re: Hacked without giving Email and Password?!

Jun 24, 2013
Do what I do to make sure you not being hacked..Make another account add the one to it your in question about and before you log on to that account go to the new one to see if anyone has logged on..This will give you the info you need..It works great..If you see that account has been logged on change the password right away..Hope this helpsl. I change my password alot and don't click on links on the forums for folks you don't know..etc...ok
Message 2 of 10 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
582 posts

Jun 24, 2013

I never add anyone to my friends list that I don't know.  And if their trying to get me to do things I don't need, I'll file a grief report.  Just sayin'. Smiley Wink

Bilsebob photo Fallout_zps06947524.jpg
Message 3 of 10 (201 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9844 posts

Jun 24, 2013
Well, no one can gain access to your account by being on your friends lists, no one can get into your account without knowing your info, I also have not heard of anyone truly hacking someones account, the posts that often appear over the forums are usually people who gave their info to someone, then they use they word hack. You said you did not give your info away to anyone, does anyone else have access to your PS3? Does anyone you know personally know your info?

Also, what you should do is check your sent messages first to see if any such message has been sent. (assuming the sent messages were not deleted, and if you know you sent messages without deleting, and they are all gone, then you know somethings up.) Other then that, you should send that person who sent you the message back and ask if you sent them a message about PC gaming.

Usually if someone does gain access to your account they would change all the info so you didn't have access to it.
Message 4 of 10 (174 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 25, 2013
Also, ensure that your password for your PSN account isn't the same password that you use on numerous other things. If someone were to somehow have gained access to a password you use as a result of some other account breach, they could just try using that password for your PSN login.

But as chaos indicated, generally when someone does gain access to your account, they quickly change your password and e-mail address so that you can't get back in.
Message 5 of 10 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jun 25, 2013

I recommend only having people you actually know on your friends list. Dont add random people out of the blue. 

Message 6 of 10 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

Jdurg wrote:
Also, ensure that your password for your PSN account isn't the same password that you use on numerous other things. If someone were to somehow have gained access to a password you use as a result of some other account breach, they could just try using that password for your PSN login.

But as chaos indicated, generally when someone does gain access to your account, they quickly change your password and e-mail address so that you can't get back in.

Unless you use the same screen name everywhere, this is impossible.(unless they key-logged you, which is really hard to do to someone on the PSN) Even then, they would just be stabbing in the dark at figuring out what services you use.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 7 of 10 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013
People like this have been stalking me for years on playstation home. You can usually tell when their activity spikes because the number of avatars standing around you movement/speechless and back soon if the space isn't crowded increases dramatically. Its never been a problem anywhere else because i dont talk to people when gaming online co-op. If you think someone is watching do what I do lie to all your friends, delete everyone, change your password, and take a break from whatever game you where playing when it started.

Edit: and never... EVER.. On anything online... Tell people your exact birthday, or the truth about things like your pets name, favorite food, if that is what you made your security question for your account. Because they are not hacking you they are just misleading and outsmarting you.
Message 8 of 10 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55032 posts

Jun 25, 2013

kratos_snake__ wrote:
Ok, so the past few days I keep getting responses from people (some friends and others are people I have been in a party with) that say "they don't play on PC" as if I asked if they play games on PC. The thing is, I have not sent any message of that sort nor do I play PC myself. I am afraid that somehow, someone has hacked my account. I did add a random a few days ago that sent a FR out of the blue, but I always add people like that. I am truly confused. Help

Sign in ASAP and change your password!  If someone has your password doing this will stop them.

Message 9 of 10 (95 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

Unless you use the same screen name everywhere, this is impossible.(unless they key-logged you, which is really hard to do to someone on the PSN) Even then, they would just be stabbing in the dark at figuring out what services you use.

It's not as far-fetched as you think.  MANY people out there tend to use the same password across multiple different systems.  It's just human nature as it's easier to remember one password than it is to remember multiple different ones.  With the PSN Login, you use your e-mail address to sign-in.  With the abundance of social media sites out there, the chances that someone reveals their e-mail address to someone who is looking to perform nefarious activities is much greater than zero.

Take this as an example:

User A has an e-mail address of JoeP@gmail.com.  He's on Facebook and Twitter and after a game of CoD he accepts a friend request from JerryQ.  They get talking and User A goes and connects to JerryQ via Facebook.  JerryQ now knows that User A's e-mail address is JoeP@gmail.com since User A allows his e-mail address to be seen by friends on Facebook.  so JerryQ is now in possession of half of the login requirements for the PSN.

User A still interacts with JerryQ on multiple other forums.  They discover that they are both members of a different videogame forum and start talking.  That other forum is not very good at security, however, and their site is hacked by a group that obtains the usernames and logins of the users there.  JerryQ has access to this information and sees that User A's password is revealed as a part of that group.  Wondering if the same password is used on the PSN, JerryQ attempts to login using User A's e-mail address and the same password that he was using for this other forum.  Success!  JerryQ now has access to User A's PSN account.

Even though it is not a good idea to do this, many people do use the same e-mail address and passwords for many of their account logins across the web.  In many cases, they are indeed doing just that and also wittingly/unwittingly disclosing this information on the web. 

The smart thing to do is to setup a free e-mail account for use on the PSN and using a password that you don't use any place else.  This way, if your other accounts are "comprimised", you won't need to worry about your PSN.

Message 10 of 10 (86 Views)