Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Re: HOCKEY GENERAL

Dec 13, 2012

A lot seem to be mad at Jeremy Jacobs, his fault. He has all the money and won't shear it.

Message 51 of 832 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Dec 13, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

A lot seem to be mad at Jeremy Jacobs, his fault. He has all the money and won't shear it.

That is because Jacobs is the Ralph Wilson of the NHL.

Did you know; the two families that owned the Bruins and Blackhawks, respectively, were in a competition for years.  They were competing on the Revenue Returns.  Neither ownership really cared if they won or not, they only cared if their franchise made more money than than the other.

Blackhawks ownership even went so far as to pull the NFL trick.  If the games did not sell out, they would not be aired on the TV.  Ownership figured if there were seats available, then people should come to the arena to watch.  

With the way TV deals are now, more money, that would not happen in these times.  It is sad to see, revenues rule all.  Don't get me wrong, I understand it is a business; with owners and employees.  The problem is, the amount of money each side is laying claim to, all while alienating and gouging the fans.

When it is all said and done, guarantee, whether there is a shortened or cancelled season, when tickets go back on sale, there will be an increase.

In the end, the Fans lose.  We always do.

Moble

Message 52 of 832 (269 Views)
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Living in Detroit, I've been to dozens of Red Wings games over the years but I'm not particularly a hockey fan, I just like the atmosphere of Joe Louis Arena. It's MUCH better than going to a Pistons game or a Lions game but nowhere near as good as a Tiger game at Comerica  Smiley Wink

Message 53 of 832 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

These stupid hockey people.   I don't think they really care.  GET IT DONE!  Who cares where you meet.  Meet at Disney World, for all I care.  GOSH. 

Message 54 of 832 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Dec 13, 2012

DetroitTigersFan wrote:

Living in Detroit, I've been to dozens of Red Wings games over the years but I'm not particularly a hockey fan, I just like the atmosphere of Joe Louis Arena. It's MUCH better than going to a Pistons game or a Lions game but nowhere near as good as a Tiger game at Comerica  Smiley Wink

I am hearing that no one is even going to Pistons games anymore.

I have been to Tiger Stadium seven times, the Palace three times (for Pistons), Joe Louis Three times, the Silver Dome four times, and Comerica one time.

I would say Comerica is a shining example of how a team with an ancient stadium can replace nostalgia with better facilities and an all around quality stadium experience.

I especially liked that I could get a 24 Oz cup of beer at Comerica when I went.  Here in Boston you only get about an 8 Oz cup for $8.  It is ridiculous, and they only let you buy two at a time.  Even worse, the guy behind the counter is all of a sudden an expert in how much you've had to drink.  They actually cut people off.

Moving around has had its perks though.  I have got to see Hockey games in:  Joe Lousi Arena, The Aud (old arena in Buffalo), and in the Garden (new Garden in Boston, not old).

Moble

Message 55 of 832 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 13, 2012

HARDCORE PAWN   LOL  Do people really act like that in Detriot?  I know Detriot is tough city but come on LOL 

Message 56 of 832 (248 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Dec 13, 2012

Ah Tiger Stadium. As much as Comerica is a cool park to go to, I grew up with Tiger Stadium and I miss it. lol

Message 57 of 832 (247 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
960 posts

Dec 13, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

HARDCORE PAWN   LOL  Do people really act like that in Detriot?  I know Detriot is tough city but come on LOL 

What?

Message 58 of 832 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Dec 16, 2012

DetroitTigersFan wrote:

rramsdell wrote:

HARDCORE PAWN   LOL  Do people really act like that in Detroit?  I know Detroit is tough city but come on LOL 

What?

I think he is talking about the show Darren MacCarty was on.  I have never seen it, but I hear he looks like crap, and acts a little wirer.

I was always amazed at the enormity of Tiger Stadium.  There was a flag pole in Center Filed, but it didn't matter because Center was 440 to the wall.

It is funny though, because anytime I watch someone play The Rangers in Arlington, I see the Tiger Stadium influence in right field.

Tiger Stadium opened the same day as Fenway park, but could seat up to 23,000 people.  Enormous for its time.

One of the things I always wondered about and \never got an answer for though, is the paper lanterns hanging in the Grand Stand Rafters.  They were like Chinese paper lanterns, and for the life of me, I could never figure out their significance.  Any ideas?

Moble

Message 59 of 832 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 16, 2012

The lockout is going to court.  Like that's going to help it.  haha  Good luck with that.  Just write the season off already, most of us have. 

Message 60 of 832 (230 Views)
0 Likes