Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Last Guardian
10856 posts

Re: Greatest NFL Quarterback's Ever

Aug 27, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Ridiculous. Not one person mentioned drew brees. Drew brees in the BEST IN THE WORLD!

Drew Brees is good but Manning, Brady and Rodgers are better QBs.

BLAH. Do I have to pull up his 2011-2012 numbers. That season alone put him #1

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 21 of 42 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Aug 27, 2013

I know that he hasnt wont a super bowl but i say Jim Kelly's resilience should put him somewhere

KZMProductionsGT
Message 22 of 42 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32941 posts

Aug 27, 2013

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Joe Montana -Not especially gifted physically, but calm cool and collected and very smart.

Troy Aikmen - The last of the great cowboys.

John Elway - Gifted and has won many games practically on his own.

Eli Manning - The only person who could put a cold shiver in the blood of any Pats fan

Tom Brady - A mixture of Joe Montana and John Elway - has not won a superbowl since his team was caught in spygate

I like football, what can I say :smileyhappy:

I agree with this list far more.  Dan Marino never won a superbowl.  There's no way he could be #1.  I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but after 40-odd superbowls, there have been around 20 different winning quarterbacks.  So the best Marino could possibly rank is #21.  And this doesn't even count all the years people played football before there was a Superbowl.  For their day, there had to be some amazing champion QB's back in the 20's and 30's.  I'd put them ahead of Marino as well.

I'd probably put Terry Bradshaw in the #2 spot.  He was the first QB to ever win 4 Superbowls.  The Steelers were so dominant in the Bradshaw years, that they had to continually modify the rules just to give other non-Steeler teams an outside chance of winning.  That's rather legendary.  The reign of the Steelers in the 70's marks the dividing line between Olden Days football and modern football.  Bradshaw did a lot to advance the game.

I'll stick with Montana in the #1 spot though.  He was freakishly good.  There's no denying that.  His measure of control was leaps and bounds ahead of Bradshaw's.  If he was throwing 50 yards to Jerry Rice, you could practically bank on a TD.  There may never be another Joe Montana.  Not even his daughter Hannah can throw like that.

Message 23 of 42 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6126 posts

Aug 27, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Joe Montana -Not especially gifted physically, but calm cool and collected and very smart.

Troy Aikmen - The last of the great cowboys.

John Elway - Gifted and has won many games practically on his own.

Eli Manning - The only person who could put a cold shiver in the blood of any Pats fan

Tom Brady - A mixture of Joe Montana and John Elway - has not won a superbowl since his team was caught in spygate

I like football, what can I say :smileyhappy:

I agree with this list far more.  Dan Marino never won a superbowl.  There's no way he could be #1.  I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but after 40-odd superbowls, there have been around 20 different winning quarterbacks.  So the best Marino could possibly rank is #21.  And this doesn't even count all the years people played football before there was a Superbowl.  For their day, there had to be some amazing champion QB's back in the 20's and 30's.  I'd put them ahead of Marino as well.

I'd probably put Terry Bradshaw in the #2 spot.  He was the first QB to ever win 4 Superbowls.  The Steelers were so dominant in the Bradshaw years, that they had to continually modify the rules just to give other non-Steeler teams an outside chance of winning.  That's rather legendary.  The reign of the Steelers in the 70's marks the dividing line between Olden Days football and modern football.  Bradshaw did a lot to advance the game.

I'll stick with Montana in the #1 spot though.  He was freakishly good.  There's no denying that.  His measure of control was leaps and bounds ahead of Bradshaw's.  If he was throwing 50 yards to Jerry Rice, you could practically bank on a TD.  There may never be another Joe Montana.  Not even his daughter Hannah can throw like that.

Terry Bradshaw was way before my time, but you are right about that, I would actually put him at number #1

I had to watch a few youtube videos to see him play,,, All that came to mind when I watched him was his drive and determination.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 24 of 42 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2397 posts

Aug 27, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Ridiculous. Not one person mentioned drew brees. Drew brees in the BEST IN THE WORLD!

I would have Drew Brees in the top 5 "TODAY".  I've watched him since he was drafted by the Chargers.  I like him way more than Marino that's for sure lol.  Bree's already surpassed Marino's most passing yards in a season.  Brady surpassed Marino's TD passes in a season in 2007.  Marino's records are being passed up every year.  Brees will be up there by the time he's done.

I still would have Brady over Manning any day.  Manning is today's Marino.  Great regular season QB, but chokes it up when it really counts.

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 25 of 42 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Bacterin wrote:
I put Peyton Manning ahead of Tom Brady because skill wise he is better. He runs the offense while on the field, Tom Brady runs the coach's offense.

Also two of Tom Brady's Super Bowl rings were won by Field Goals at the end. When Joe Montana won his four Super Bowl's they were blowouts. You could tell who the best was at that time.

I can respect that logic although Peyton's horrible playoff record should be enough to drop him right out of the top five. In my opinion, a QB who can't win when it really counts can't be considered great, no matter how skilled. That goes for Marino too. He was an extraodinary QB in the regular season and crappy in the playoffs. I think someone who is being considered for the Greatest QB Ever should be the complete package.

I'd agree that Peyton and Marino are very high on the list of the Best Regular Season QB Ever but, unlike guys like Montana and Brady who are/were consistently excellent in both the regular and post seasons, they aren't the complete package.

Message 26 of 42 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2397 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Dan Marino would be a great Fantasy Football quarterback in his time :smileyvery-happy:

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 27 of 42 (111 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Superbowl XXi. 22 completions out of  25 attempts, and one was intentional grounding. That record still stands to this day. I saw every snap of that 1986-87 season, and he put the team in a position to win in quite a few of those games in the last two minutes. He also played with primarily a RUSHING offense, in a stadium with terrible wind.

I don't have to think about the Marino era, I was there. Dan Marino, great quarterback, Hall of Famer, however you can not discount what Phil Simms accomplished with that Giants team. With Jeff Hostetler and Scott Brunner at quarterback those teams were a pale comparison. Marino also couldn't get it done in a big spot. And  Phil Simms does have two rings to show for it, even though he was injured during the 1990-91 Super Bowl run, he was a key part of that team. And obviously they COULD stop Dan Marino, otherwise he would have gotten back to a Super Bowl.

I think the problem is that you're penalizing a quarterback for being a great team. Any quarterback needs the pieces around him, otherwise all those years the Buccaneers were terrible, Doug Williams would have been the greatest quarterback who ever lived. Williams did eventually win a Super Bowl with the Redskins, and was named MVP, in a 42-10 DRUBBING of the Denver Broncos, led by John Elway. There are QB's that make a team great, and they elevate a team to being champions. Archie Manning was a great quarterback, but played on lousy teams. Hank Stram said of Archie he was the best quarterback who he ever coached. The Saints were terrible, to the point the fans actually wore bags over their heads.

And you had a HUGE oversight; Johnny Unitas.

Great point Cap. I would like to add since I too was watching Marino do his thing. That was a WEAK arse **bleep** division for many years. Too freaking easy! No rings, #1. You crazy! The Niners showed exactly what happens when you meet a well rounded team. Those Niner defenses were awesome and get very little credit. NO, I'm not a Niners fan. Actually I hate the Niners. I'm a Cowboys' fan. "The Catch" = nightmares. 

photo Narcissus1_zps170f3e51.jpg
Message 28 of 42 (94 Views)
Survivor
1831 posts

Aug 27, 2013

What? No Brett Farve?

Career Pass Completions           6,300

Career Passing Yards              71,838

Career Passing TDs                     508

Career Interceptions Thrown      336 (oops:smileysurprised:)

Career Times Sacked                  525 (oops again:smileywink:)

I guess records are not good:smileytongue:

Message 29 of 42 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Aug 27, 2013
I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't think a player should be thought lower of because of how trash his team was.

John Elway went to 3 Super Bowl's during the 80's and lost all of them. But in during the Late 90's, as soon as he got a good team to back him up, he finally won Super Bowls. But if he didn't, would we think lower of him? Yes.

John Elway didn't win those Super Bowl's, Terrell Davis did. But just because he was along for the ride, he is great now just because he has rings. Like I said, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have rings, but I can't say with a straight face that they are better than Marino.

Great Teams = Championships

Barry Sanders, Dan Marino etc. Badass Players but had no supporting casts.

Put Dan Marino on the 80's 49ers squad, and he would have 8 rings.
Message 30 of 42 (69 Views)
0 Likes