Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
4991 posts

Re: Global warming

Feb 5, 2007
The rate of CO2 increase in the atmosphere is now 200 times faster than at any time in the last 650,000 years and between 1750-2003 the level of CO2 increased from 280ppm to 375ppm and is forecasted to increase to 550ppm+.

You have to factor in also postive feedback loops which are difficult to predict like the release of huge amounts of methane from the sea floor which could lead to runaway global warming.
PSN: Gavi
Feel free to add me to your friends list.

Games Owned: Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Singstar, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, GTA IV, Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk, , Call of Duty 4, Folklore, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet &; Clank, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment.

PSN Games: Super Stardust HD, Pain, Wipeout HD, Flow, High Velocity Bowling, Calling All Cars, Lemmings, High Stakes Poker, Aquatopia, Lumines Supernova.
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9122 posts

Feb 5, 2007

sdobbs20 wrote:

Slapshot55 wrote:

so you're pretty much saying "forget about all the people who make our products in shanghair and beijing, forget all the people who live in india, forget about norway, forget about manhattan, forget about everybody...it's all about me, i'll live. but everyone else can die."....?

there's plenty of land above 22 feet above see leval.
and a few towns like new orliens and Vinice where doomed from day 1.

that's what you get for building on a sinking river Delta.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingWe Dig Giant Robots!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6819 posts

Feb 5, 2007
thankfully when it happens i will be dead and my kids will have to deal with it

Rome Anthem 158 = Freerider Heaven
In my time here, i have learnt that 80% of the stories that are posted on the forums have been reposted from Digg, Reddit, ect..
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2501 posts

Feb 5, 2007

Gavi wrote:
The rate of CO2 increase in the atmosphere is now 200 times faster than at any time in the last 650,000 years and between 1750-2003 the level of CO2 increased from 280ppm to 375ppm and is forecasted to increase to 550ppm+.

You have to factor in also postive feedback loops which are difficult to predict like the release of huge amounts of methane from the sea floor which could lead to runaway global warming.

....and how do we know these Co2 levels that are thousands of years old? The Atmosphere is not completely transparent and can be very localized therefore the areas above the poles (where most ice core samples are collected) are probably misleading as to ancient Co2 levels....this whole thing is about hype and money for the politicians and scientists.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6909 posts

Feb 5, 2007

Gavi wrote:

At 368 parts per million CO2 is a minor constituent of earth's atmosphere-- less than 4/100ths of 1% of all gases present. Compared to former geologic times, earth's current atmosphere is CO2- impoverished.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9122 posts

Feb 5, 2007

PALADIN262 wrote:

Gavi wrote:

InfurnoASH wrote:

Gavi wrote:
Global Warming won't just put an end to winter overnight. Winters will go on being cold for many years to come, but you should look at the overall picture and in particular at current trends not single events.

The facts speak louder than words in this case.

The earth is warmer than at any time in the past 1,000 years (Dow & Downing, p.35 'The Atlas of Climate Change' 2006).

1000 years? yah that's nothing compaired to the earths age. a couple billian or something. we are comeing out of an Iceage. technicly were are still in an ice age. "meaning 1 or both poles have Ice covering for the whole year. the earth has been much warmer befor. the dino's were awfully happy even without Ice Caps.

True, We are coming out of an ice age and we are in something of an interglacial age right now. Thus, natural factors would be pushing up the temperatures and the sea levels would be rising as the glaciers and ice caps melt.

However, due to man's involvement, we are speeding up the process and it's getting out of control.

Look at the predictions of CO2 in the atmosphere and the relationship between CO2 in the atmposphere and global temperatures. Basically when there is more CO2 in the atmosphere, the temperature increases because more heat from the sun is trapped inside. 

I hate this bull**bleep** logic....I saw a fat person eating junk food...therefore being fat makes people eat junk food? no junk food makes people fat. The two things are completely unrelated....we release just as much if not more particulate matter which cools the Earth. The co2 argument is null

examples? I know Smoke Dust is one. but what are the others.
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4991 posts

Feb 5, 2007

PALADIN262 wrote:

Gavi wrote:

InfurnoASH wrote:

Gavi wrote:
Global Warming won't just put an end to winter overnight. Winters will go on being cold for many years to come, but you should look at the overall picture and in particular at current trends not single events.

The earth is warmer than at any time in the past 1,000 years (Dow & Downing, p.35 'The Atlas of Climate Change' 2006).

1000 years? yah that's nothing compaired to the earths age. a couple billian or something. we are comeing out of an Iceage. technicly were are still in an ice age. "meaning 1 or both poles have Ice covering for the whole year. the earth has been much warmer befor. the dino's were awfully happy even without Ice Caps.

True, We are coming out of an ice age and we are in something of an interglacial age right now. Thus, natural factors would be pushing up the temperatures and the sea levels would be rising as the glaciers and ice caps melt.

However, due to man's involvement, we are speeding up the process and it's getting out of control.

Look at the predictions of CO2 in the atmosphere and the relationship between CO2 in the atmposphere and global temperatures. Basically when there is more CO2 in the atmosphere, the temperature increases because more heat from the sun is trapped inside. 

I hate this bull**bleep** logic....I saw a fat person eating junk food...therefore being fat makes people eat junk food? no junk food makes people fat. The two things are completely unrelated....we release just as much if not more particulate matter which cools the Earth. The co2 argument is null

Do you hate this logic because it leads to an inconvenient truth?

We are cleaning up our atmosphere and that could also lead to higher temperatures, so what would you rather have us to do, live under polluted skies that affect our health due to cure global warming. Particulate matter is a double edged sword in this case.
PSN: Gavi
Feel free to add me to your friends list.

Games Owned: Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Singstar, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds, GTA IV, Uncharted, Resistance, Warhawk, , Call of Duty 4, Folklore, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed, Ratchet &; Clank, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment.

PSN Games: Super Stardust HD, Pain, Wipeout HD, Flow, High Velocity Bowling, Calling All Cars, Lemmings, High Stakes Poker, Aquatopia, Lumines Supernova.
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1757 posts

Feb 5, 2007

InfurnoASH wrote:

Kalelx2x2 wrote:

PSP_FAN_4567 wrote:
I dont care about global warming when it happens I will be dead.

It happened yesterday, it's happening as I type, and unless there's some sort or miracle it will happen tomorrow and the next day and so on and so forth.

technically it's been happening ever since the Glacier Covering Northern Minnesota Started receding.

lol, I know :smileywink: I was just saying that it's *been* here and will continue to *be* here ...therefore it will *stay* here

Message Edited by Kalelx2x2 on 02-04-2007 11:10 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9122 posts

Feb 5, 2007

PALADIN262 wrote:

InfurnoASH wrote:

PALADIN262 wrote:
CO2 is not a pollutant and our current activities are not causing these "warming" trends (I use quotes cause the midwest is damn cold). For as much as we pollute and release Co2 into the atmosphere we release just as much particulate matter which actually cool the earth. This planet along with many others in our solar system has been warming for years. You cannot say that because it has grown warmer in the past century that this is a massive warming trend. The Earth is billions of years old, one hundred years is indicatave of absoultely nothing. What caused the end of they Ice Age? Not Co2 admissons, that for sure.....and BTW..lets not forget that some of the scientists who are now warning of global warming are the same that warned us of a global cooling that would cause an Ice Age in the late 70s. More Hype = more funding...its that simple...they are doing this for the $$$.     Yeah and Al Gore... how can you not believe the man that invented the internet and single handidly defeated Man-Bear-Pig. The man is a God among Mortals. J/K hes fulla **bleep**

Yes. exactly Co2 is a natural Gas. but our useing it is simply helping the natural prossesses. Volcanic activity. Forist Fires and so on also emit Co2. and we can't regulate when Killawaya's gonna blow.

I think the world just stabilized itself out. But Co2 had something to do with it. it is what keeps the earth warm without it we would be no better of then HOTH.

ha ha.

HEY!!! whats wrong with Hoth!?!? If global wariming lets us get some real life Wampas then by all means lets go out and do some polluting.

Nothing and thanks for making my day. but to get Earth like Hoth we have to eliminate Co2 and Methain Gas from our Atmoshpere. then any energy from the sun will be bounced away and the earth would be thrown into a deep freeze. and I would rather have earth more like Kassike so we can have wookiees
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2501 posts

Feb 5, 2007

Gavi wrote:

PALADIN262 wrote:

Gavi wrote:

InfurnoASH wrote:

Gavi wrote:

Do you hate this logic because it leads to an inconvenient truth?

We are cleaning up our atmosphere and that could also lead to higher temperatures, so what would you rather have us to do, live under polluted skies that affect our health due to cure global warming. Particulate matter is a double edged sword in this case.

I just hate faulty logic that can sometimes confuse a symptom for a cause....but as for the particulate matter I will agree with you...there really isnt anything to like about it as it makes everyone sick in some way. Hopefully we will move out of the Oil age not because of Global warming or a shortage but because it is obsolete. The stone Age didnt end because we ran outta stones..
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 104 (8 Views)
0 Likes