Reply
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

PYAWAKITT wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

PYAWAKITT wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

What if we wre trying to prevent the flu by getting a flu shot but the flu shot actually gives us the flu when we thought the flu shot was gonna prevent us from getting the flu but we got the flu from the flu shot?

 

 

IM NOT GETTING A FLU SHOT.


Because that basically never happens... 

 

People that get the flu anyway, likely got the strain that wasn't covered by the shot that researchers had predicted would be the dominant virus that year.

 

Correlation doesnt always equal causation... it's staggering how many people don't realize that.


I totally disagree with this statement.

I was witness to a woman that had not been sick in over 20 years and never ever got the flu. She got talked into getting a flu shot by her Doctor and ended up with such a severe flu she had to be hospitalized and missed over 2 weeks of work. She swears she will never ever get another flu shot again.

And NO I do not believe she had the "virus" before she got the shot, her medical history of her body being able to fight the flu virus and thereby never getting the flu before the point of getting the flu shot, overrides it.


1st, I said correlation doesn't always equal causation.

 

2nd, New mutated strains happen every year, the fact that they fought off other strains or avoided it doesn't mean a whole lot. Stranger things have happened. Without hard proof, you can't rule out coincidence.


Hmmm, since the flu virus so easily mutates, and "new mutated strains happen every year", I would say her medical history of being able to fight off each new strain every year, pretty much is hard proof and not coincidence. 


Yes, it would be, if there werent many strains at the same time. She simply got one that couldn't be fended off, or that she didn't fend off.

 

The flu shot is formulated to fight the most common one that season, the one that is poised to wreak the most havoc. She simply got one that wasn't covered by the shot, and that she couldn't fight off.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 21 of 136 (126 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 06/21/2013
Online
8146 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013
Because Texas is connected to Mexico, duh
Hey That Chris signature
Message 22 of 136 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/21/2012
Offline
1473 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

PYAWAKITT wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

PYAWAKITT wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

King_xO-AsSaSSin wrote:

What if we wre trying to prevent the flu by getting a flu shot but the flu shot actually gives us the flu when we thought the flu shot was gonna prevent us from getting the flu but we got the flu from the flu shot?

 

 

IM NOT GETTING A FLU SHOT.


Because that basically never happens... 

 

People that get the flu anyway, likely got the strain that wasn't covered by the shot that researchers had predicted would be the dominant virus that year.

 

Correlation doesnt always equal causation... it's staggering how many people don't realize that.


I totally disagree with this statement.

I was witness to a woman that had not been sick in over 20 years and never ever got the flu. She got talked into getting a flu shot by her Doctor and ended up with such a severe flu she had to be hospitalized and missed over 2 weeks of work. She swears she will never ever get another flu shot again.

And NO I do not believe she had the "virus" before she got the shot, her medical history of her body being able to fight the flu virus and thereby never getting the flu before the point of getting the flu shot, overrides it.


1st, I said correlation doesn't always equal causation.

 

2nd, New mutated strains happen every year, the fact that they fought off other strains or avoided it doesn't mean a whole lot. Stranger things have happened. Without hard proof, you can't rule out coincidence.


Hmmm, since the flu virus so easily mutates, and "new mutated strains happen every year", I would say her medical history of being able to fight off each new strain every year, pretty much is hard proof and not coincidence. 


Yes, it would be, if there werent many strains at the same time. She simply got one that couldn't be fended off, or that she didn't fend off.

 

The flu shot is formulated to fight the most common one that season, the one that is poised to wreak the most havoc. She simply got one that wasn't covered by the shot, and that she couldn't fight off.


No I disagree. Had she picked up the virus that way we all do, her body would have been able to fight it off as it had always done.

The difference was, she was administered the virus through a shot and that made all the difference to her body. 

That is of course is my opinion and hers.

We could argue this to the point of infinity, but I don't have that much time, so you have your opinion and I have mine, based on real events.

 



If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 23 of 136 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/28/2013
Offline
1359 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

userusb wrote:

Un0-0n3unique wrote:

617px-H1N1_Canada_Map_by_confirmed_cases.svg.png

You forgot Canada because Canada is the part of north America maybe America hate Canada Smiley Indifferent

 


That continent is Asia, not North America....

 

And I don't think the US hates Canada or else me, johngie, and all other Canadian users would have been kicked out of here. Smiley Tongue



I know the bottom is Asia but I don't want to say it Smiley LOL

addtext_com_MTEwMTQzMTk0MzI5.jpg

Message 24 of 136 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/27/2010
Online
13132 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013
No userusb they do hate us. The winit wednesday thing excludes canadians.
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 25 of 136 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2699 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013

Un0-0n3unique wrote:

617px-H1N1_Canada_Map_by_confirmed_cases.svg.png

You forgot Canada because Canada is the part of north America maybe America hate Canada Smiley Indifferent

 

 


How can those northern islands be so red when barely anyone lives there?

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 26 of 136 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

Un0-0n3unique wrote:

617px-H1N1_Canada_Map_by_confirmed_cases.svg.png

You forgot Canada because Canada is the part of north America maybe America hate Canada Smiley Indifferent

 

 


How can those northern islands be so red when barely anyone lives there?


Thats actually how they are so red probably... if 6 people out of 20 get it, thats a pretty high %

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 27 of 136 (77 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/08/2013
Offline
3578 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

dc4daniel wrote:

Un0-0n3unique wrote:

 

You forgot Canada because Canada is the part of north America maybe America hate Canada Smiley Indifferent

 

 


How can those northern islands be so red when barely anyone lives there?



Flu is more common in Canada.

http://o.canada.com/health/how-bad-is-the-flu-in-canada-this-year/

 

When you look at the graph keep in mind Canada has a population of roughly 35 million people.

Colder climates suit it more as well I think.

Message 28 of 136 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
2699 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013

Well, at least you guys get "free" healthcare lol.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 29 of 136 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/15/2013
Offline
1655 posts
 

Re: Get your flu shot

Oct 20, 2013

I don't think I've gotten a flue shot my whole 23 yrs, or atleast since maybe early grade school? Then again, I eat alot of vegetables and such, wash my hands regualrly, and stay away from sick people, I even work at a grocery store (which is prob the biggest area to pick up sicknessess). Hopefully the trend continues for me *knock on wood*. I tend to not worry about it, if you worry about every sickness and disease, then what fun would life be? Heck, if we worried about every little calorie, what we eat, what we breathe in, then it def wouldn't be fun. We didn't worry about any of this when we were young kids.

Message 30 of 136 (68 Views)
0 Likes