Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Re: Gaming Stores. Your First?

Jul 1, 2013

To play:  7-Elevens used to have nooks in them with the lates (Asteroids, Space Invaders, etc...) games in them. I used to pedal my Schwinn load up on sugar and play!

To buy: Toys R Us.  I goy all of my Commodore 64 games there.  They had all of the games insides glass cases; if you saw a game you like you pulled a **bleep** off the front of the case. No **bleep** meant game was sold out.  YOu took it to register and paid,  After you paid they stamped the **bleep**.  THEN you waked to another counter handed the **bleep** and they handed the game. A lot of steps but boy it was fun then.

Message 21 of 24 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Jul 1, 2013

oGIMPo wrote:

To play:  7-Elevens used to have nooks in them with the lates (Asteroids, Space Invaders, etc...) games in them. I used to pedal my Schwinn load up on sugar and play!

To buy: Toys R Us.  I goy all of my Commodore 64 games there.  They had all of the games insides glass cases; if you saw a game you like you pulled a **bleep** off the front of the case. No **bleep** meant game was sold out.  YOu took it to register and paid,  After you paid they stamped the **bleep**.  THEN you waked to another counter handed the **bleep** and they handed the game. A lot of steps but boy it was fun then.

the bleep wasnt an inappropriate word.  Someone should get a dictionary.  It was a piece of paper stating the name of the game and price

Message 22 of 24 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Jul 1, 2013

TheLaughingSwine wrote:

dc4daniel wrote:

I was going to say KB Toys, but I don't know if that counts lol.  In 1999 I first went to Funcoland.  I guess thats the first real gaming store I've went to.  Its now a Gamestop at that same location Smiley Sad

I did some reading and it turns out gamestop bought out FuncolandSmiley Indifferent ...i use to spend time there testing out games before i bought them and talking with other games...o well...

I'd say KB toys counts, I remember seeing their game setup in a mall a few times, they were an expensive toy store so I guess I can see why they're not really around; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KB_Toys

My first game store was TG&Y en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TG&Y -though it wasn't really a gaming store I would go there thinking how asweome it was that they had an Atari set up & not having to pay to play, with the control layout quite similar to arcade style.

Message 23 of 24 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Last Guardian
9144 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I do remember my first time at a video game aisle. I was picking a game for my birthday present and I decided to go with Crash Bandicoot 2. A wise choice it was. There you have it, not a very exciting story. 

Buying online is cheaper and more convenient for me. GameStop should buurn for all I care. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 24 of 24 (36 Views)
0 Likes