PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: GameStop a rip off?

Oct 20, 2012

bookepride wrote:

GameStop is - in a way - a rip off. Yeah, they do over charge on some items and give you a lot less money for trading in games and etc'.

I've only bought very little from my local GameStop, it was a new system (as a backup) and pre-ordered BF3 due to the Limited Edition which turned out not so Limited Edition in the long run I thought. I usually just go to Target and buy my games their if I do or WalMart. Target has a GREAT return policy. No questions asked, then again, I live in California. Maybe that's why...

Anywho, if anyone is selling games, I would just sell on Craigslist. You would get top dollar, and don't have to pay for fee's for Ebay/Paypal or get less for your game if you go into Gamestop. Then again, it depends how fast you want that money or your willing to wait a few days to a week to sell your game(s).

I get so annoyed how the employees at Gamestop want me to buy everything once I'm ready to make a purchase. smh...

Would you mind explaining this. AFAIK Target's return policy is the same everywhere, 90 days to get a refund on an unopened game.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 51 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
710 posts

Re: Gamestop a rip off?

Oct 20, 2012
I tried trading-in an unopened game the same day the game was released at EB Games/GameStop and was offered just under half price...
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 51 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
390 posts

Oct 20, 2012
Besides when they offer you way less than your game is worth no one is holding a gun to your head say no thanks and walk out. Try Craigslist.
Baptism's of Fire
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 51 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2358 posts

Oct 20, 2012

I only sell my games on Ebay (worldwide).  I only buy my games from Amazon and get the free shipping.  That's how I roll! :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 51 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 20, 2012
Now that there are other options available to trade in games (especially Best Buy), I believe GameStop has had even better deals for those that wish to trade in games.
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 51 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

Oct 22, 2012
I traded in BF3 LE about a month after release and got $30 back. I felt ripped off lol.
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 51 (87 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Oct 22, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

BIackRockSoul wrote:

L.O.L

I guess I am not alone after all and that picture describes every gamers rage when they trade in games.

Nope, you're not alone BlackRock, actually I hardly ever purchase anything from GS anyway, let alone exchange games there, I prefer Amazon for most of my new game purchases & their trade-in values are not bad either.

To be honest with you trading in games has always been a nightmare if you want to get any decent money back on a trade-in, it's something we all deal with, but yes, I do tink GS are some of the worst culprits for offering the lowest.

This is all the more reason I risk being left in the dust with most games.  I prefer to buy games that have been out for a while and do not set me back the $60 to begin with.

I just cannot afford to fork out that much cash anymore, and with limited playing time, it is hardly worth it.  By the time I finally get around to finishing a game, it is usually in the bargain bin anyway.  

As far as trade ins, I tend to buy only the games that I "think" I am going to want to hold on to.  

It is funny, how GS works though.  They will give you $10, and you can go back in a day later and find them selling it used for $35.  Of  course, this is the same with anything.  You trade in a car for $10K, and you will find it on the used car lot a week later for $13K, just because the dealer gave it a wax job.  It is the nature of the game.  A game not worth playing or perpetuating.

A funny story about a GS observation.  Shortly after Batman Arkham Asylum (BAA) went "Greatest Hits" (GH), I was in a game a GS and saw a "used copy" of BAA in a GH package priced at $24.99.  The GS I was in, did not have any unopened GH versions of the game, of course.  Retail it should have only cost $19.99, unopened, but here they were asking for $5.00 above the actual cost.  Since then, I have noticed GS has reduced prices on used games more than in the past.  If you have the membership, you get an even bigger discount.  They have changed their ways in some respects, but not enough for me to shop there anymore.

Although they don't give back a substantially larger sum than GS, I find the mom and pop game stores do provide a better return for trade ins.  I even have such a store around me that sells brand new, unopened PS3 games (new releases included) for $55.00.  I already save $5.00, and do not have to order anything online.  Shopping around will always be the best course of action.

K.B. Toys, Toys R Us, Children World, and a couple of other big chains used to exist, that would fleece parents on the price of toys. Eventually, all but Toys went under, because places like Walmart started to blow them out on pricing.  It is possible, after eating up all the Babbages, absorbing the EB Games, and other chains, GS has become to big for its own good.  With Amazon on the scene, now threatening even BB, I would say the curse of GS will soon end.  It is just best to avoid them, if you want.  Some people LOVE GS, and will stand by them to the end, as some posters may prove in this thread.  Just take it all with a grain of salt though :smileyvery-happy:.

Try selling your used games on an online auction site, you may get a better return.  You can also donate them, I am sure some kid who can't afford games would love to find a donated game in their presents this holiday season.  At least someone will get use of them, and instead of feeling cheated, you may feel comfort in helping those who have less than some of us.

Just my thoughts, take them or leave them.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 51 (83 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 23, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

BIackRockSoul wrote:

L.O.L

I guess I am not alone after all and that picture describes every gamers rage when they trade in games.

Nope, you're not alone BlackRock, actually I hardly ever purchase anything from GS anyway, let alone exchange games there, I prefer Amazon for most of my new game purchases & their trade-in values are not bad either.

To be honest with you trading in games has always been a nightmare if you want to get any decent money back on a trade-in, it's something we all deal with, but yes, I do tink GS are some of the worst culprits for offering the lowest.

This is all the more reason I risk being left in the dust with most games.  I prefer to buy games that have been out for a while and do not set me back the $60 to begin with.

I just cannot afford to fork out that much cash anymore, and with limited playing time, it is hardly worth it.  By the time I finally get around to finishing a game, it is usually in the bargain bin anyway.  

As far as trade ins, I tend to buy only the games that I "think" I am going to want to hold on to.  

It is funny, how GS works though.  They will give you $10, and you can go back in a day later and find them selling it used for $35.  Of  course, this is the same with anything.  You trade in a car for $10K, and you will find it on the used car lot a week later for $13K, just because the dealer gave it a wax job.  It is the nature of the game.  A game not worth playing or perpetuating.

A funny story about a GS observation.  Shortly after Batman Arkham Asylum (BAA) went "Greatest Hits" (GH), I was in a game a GS and saw a "used copy" of BAA in a GH package priced at $24.99.  The GS I was in, did not have any unopened GH versions of the game, of course.  Retail it should have only cost $19.99, unopened, but here they were asking for $5.00 above the actual cost.  Since then, I have noticed GS has reduced prices on used games more than in the past.  If you have the membership, you get an even bigger discount.  They have changed their ways in some respects, but not enough for me to shop there anymore.

Although they don't give back a substantially larger sum than GS, I find the mom and pop game stores do provide a better return for trade ins.  I even have such a store around me that sells brand new, unopened PS3 games (new releases included) for $55.00.  I already save $5.00, and do not have to order anything online.  Shopping around will always be the best course of action.

K.B. Toys, Toys R Us, Children World, and a couple of other big chains used to exist, that would fleece parents on the price of toys. Eventually, all but Toys went under, because places like Walmart started to blow them out on pricing.  It is possible, after eating up all the Babbages, absorbing the EB Games, and other chains, GS has become to big for its own good.  With Amazon on the scene, now threatening even BB, I would say the curse of GS will soon end.  It is just best to avoid them, if you want.  Some people LOVE GS, and will stand by them to the end, as some posters may prove in this thread.  Just take it all with a grain of salt though :smileyvery-happy:.

Try selling your used games on an online auction site, you may get a better return.  You can also donate them, I am sure some kid who can't afford games would love to find a donated game in their presents this holiday season.  At least someone will get use of them, and instead of feeling cheated, you may feel comfort in helping those who have less than some of us.

Just my thoughts, take them or leave them.

Moble

I'm pretty sure that all GH PS3 games have an MSRP of $29.99, of course prices may vary by retailer, but I don't think that GS was selling that Batman game above the MSRP, but at the same time it could very well be selling more than their competitors.

As a side note I heard recently that KB Toys went out of business because they got into financial trouble and was aquired by Bane Capital (Mitt Romney's company) and then had all their assests liquidated.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 51 (65 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Oct 23, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I'm pretty sure that all GH PS3 games have an MSRP of $29.99, of course prices may vary by retailer, but I don't think that GS was selling that Batman game above the MSRP, but at the same time it could very well be selling more than their competitors.

As a side note I heard recently that KB Toys went out of business because they got into financial trouble and was aquired by Bane Capital (Mitt Romney's company) and then had all their assests liquidated.

Yes.  Survival of the fittest.  Free Market and Capitalism, that's how it works.
Pardon my misrepresentation of the pricing.  I most certainly could have been wrong on the MSRP at the time I saw it at GS.  Still overpriced, in my opinion though.
People can continue to shop at GS if they want. It is up to the buyer to make informed decisions, as always.
Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 51 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
638 posts

Nov 16, 2012

anybody heard from the news that GameStop is closing 200 stores for next year.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/GameStop-Closing-200-Money-Losing-Stores-in-4041513...

Good news ? Bad news ? 

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 51 (39 Views)
0 Likes