Uncharted Territory
2117 posts

Re: Gamespot's Wii Zelda Review

Nov 18, 2006

wrote:

ps-person wrote:

wrote:
Also wanted to say that I don't bash Zelda.

I simply speak the truth about it.

The truth is that Zelda's story has been rehashed multiple times now. Even the reviewer who once gave Ocarina of Time a perfect score says the game is rehashed and old.

It's also the truth that Zelda plays worse now than before. You still auto-target, but shaking the controller instead of mashing a button? No thanks.

It's also the truth that the game, save for a couple of instances of decent looking water, doesn't even look as good as FFX once did.

Zelda is the same old thing in a new package. But the sad thing is that the fanboys will eat it up.

It may be rehashed but everytime with a new concept and compelling story. Each game brings you deeper into the depths of Zelda You are just talking about the controls and graphics, the graphics quite frankly i couldn't care less for, but the controls are a learning curve. Take metroid prime hunters, those controls were probably a steep learning curve as any, however after playthign the game for a bit it became easier and more entertainig. I don't know if you are dissing auto target, but IMO in a 3rd person game it is almost required. 

Compelling story? Didn't you read what I said about Zelda. Furthermore, have you actually paid attention when playing Zelda? With the exception of Majora's Mask, it has been the same story retold in slightly different ways. Theres nothing compelling at all about hearing the same story again, told in a slightly different manner.

It isn't just the same plot with a new story on top of it, it literally is the same story with a few elements changed. Go play A Link to the Past, then Ocarina, then Wind Waker, and now Twighlight Princess and tell me, with a straight face, that the story is not only compelling, but DIFFERENT.

Auto-targetting is not needed at all. SOCOM, despite the fact that the series has gone down the crapper, is a perfect example of no need for auto-targetting.

And seriously, how much easier does Zelda need to be? Ocarina claimed 40 hours of gameplay, without side-quests. But who honestly wasn't able to walk through the game in 12 hours or less?

WHat learning curve are you talking about with Twightly Princess? The Wii-mote is being used in typical Wii-mote fashion. And that is replacing button presses with wrist movements. Instead of pressing A or B you shake the controller. That's not a learning curve. That's, quite frankly, stupid.

Zelda is no longer a good game. The last good Zelda game was Zelda: Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time took the SNES game, changed a few story elements, and made it 3D and lowered the difficulty. Majora's Mask was just silly. Wind Waker destroyed the graphics, took the same Zelda story that has been around since the first two games, changed a few elements, and re-released it. Twighlight Princess is the same thing.

Tell me, why would you want to play the same game you played 15 years ago on the SNES?

Same concept yes, but as I said different story, don't tell me I havn't played other Zelda games, I have and yes in everyone Zelda does get captured, but the lands are always different. The characters are different, the items are somewat te same but always tweaked abit. And yes a learning curve is when it takes time to learn somethign new, which I am sure you already know. I may take time to learn to jiggle the wii mote here instead of pushing a button here. example would be waving the controler sideways may replace putting away the shield. But being used to waiting a second and pusing the A button is what you have had to do in every previous game.  I guess that is a bad example, but there is a learning curve, I can't say much till I play the game though. THe part about walking through in 12 hours or less is somewat true, but I believe tp will actuall be atleast 50 seeign as how nintendo claimed 75 hours somewhere. The story in wind waker, had so many new elements. But I guess all I can say is that even the small fanboyism towards Zelda in me is dieing now. You are basically right the series is dieing, but still I will gladly buy phantom hourglass and tp.

Message Edited by ps-person on 11-17-2006 10:55 PM
Message 51 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1534 posts

Nov 18, 2006

wrote:

TheSepheroth wrote:
tell  me why do people buy madden or nba live every year

Because Madden receives more new updates every year than Zelda has since the jump from 2D to 3D?

Plus you get new rosters, new player/team standings, etc. Basically, not only do you get all around improvements (and more annually than Zelda has gotten in a decade), but the games are also FUN. Last time I had fun with Zelda? Link's Awakening.

And the incredibly ironic thing here is that most of these people who talk about how great Zelda is weren't even around to play the original games! Look at the sales of previous Zelda games.

Ocarina of Time sold more than the previous games did! A clear indication that it was the first for many so-called Zelda fans. Not only that, but Wind Waker only sold slightly more than Zelda 2, the game regarded as the worst in the series!

Zelda is only overhyped slightly more than Halo.

Message Edited by on 11-17-2006 10:51 PM

Ok the First zeldas were good and fun but the jump to 3d was a big Plus for the series Dont get me Wrong i love the snes Zelda but the jump to 3d allowed more in depth game play, so waht you save the queen everytime, Last time i checked U save the world in Final fantasy every time

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 52 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 18, 2006

ps-person wrote:

wrote:

ps-person wrote:

wrote:
Also wanted to say that I don't bash Zelda.

I simply speak the truth about it.

The truth is that Zelda's story has been rehashed multiple times now. Even the reviewer who once gave Ocarina of Time a perfect score says the game is rehashed and old.

It's also the truth that Zelda plays worse now than before. You still auto-target, but shaking the controller instead of mashing a button? No thanks.

It's also the truth that the game, save for a couple of instances of decent looking water, doesn't even look as good as FFX once did.

Zelda is the same old thing in a new package. But the sad thing is that the fanboys will eat it up.

It may be rehashed but everytime with a new concept and compelling story. Each game brings you deeper into the depths of Zelda You are just talking about the controls and graphics, the graphics quite frankly i couldn't care less for, but the controls are a learning curve. Take metroid prime hunters, those controls were probably a steep learning curve as any, however after playthign the game for a bit it became easier and more entertainig. I don't know if you are dissing auto target, but IMO in a 3rd person game it is almost required. 

Compelling story? Didn't you read what I said about Zelda. Furthermore, have you actually paid attention when playing Zelda? With the exception of Majora's Mask, it has been the same story retold in slightly different ways. Theres nothing compelling at all about hearing the same story again, told in a slightly different manner.

It isn't just the same plot with a new story on top of it, it literally is the same story with a few elements changed. Go play A Link to the Past, then Ocarina, then Wind Waker, and now Twighlight Princess and tell me, with a straight face, that the story is not only compelling, but DIFFERENT.

Auto-targetting is not needed at all. SOCOM, despite the fact that the series has gone down the crapper, is a perfect example of no need for auto-targetting.

And seriously, how much easier does Zelda need to be? Ocarina claimed 40 hours of gameplay, without side-quests. But who honestly wasn't able to walk through the game in 12 hours or less?

WHat learning curve are you talking about with Twightly Princess? The Wii-mote is being used in typical Wii-mote fashion. And that is replacing button presses with wrist movements. Instead of pressing A or B you shake the controller. That's not a learning curve. That's, quite frankly, stupid.

Zelda is no longer a good game. The last good Zelda game was Zelda: Link's Awakening. Ocarina of Time took the SNES game, changed a few story elements, and made it 3D and lowered the difficulty. Majora's Mask was just silly. Wind Waker destroyed the graphics, took the same Zelda story that has been around since the first two games, changed a few elements, and re-released it. Twighlight Princess is the same thing.

Tell me, why would you want to play the same game you played 15 years ago on the SNES?

Same concept yes, but as I said different story, don't tell me I havn't played other Zelda games, I have and yes in everyone Zelda does get captured, but the lands are always different. The characters are different, the items are somewat te same but always tweaked abit. And yes a learning curve is when it takes time to learn somethign new, which I am sure you already know. I may take time to learn to jiggle the wii mote here instead of pushing a button here. example would be waving the controler sideways may replace putting away the shield. But being used to waiting a second and pusing the A button is what you have had to do in every previous game.  I guess that is a bad example, but there is a learning curve, I can't say much till I play the game though. THe part about walking through in 12 hours or less is somewat true, but I believe tp will actuall be atleast 50 seeign as how nintendo claimed 75 hours somewhere. The story in wind waker, had so many new elements. But I guess all I can say is that even the small fanboyism towards Zelda is dieing now. You are basically right the series is dieing, but still I will gladly buy phantom hourglass and tp.

It's not a new story, it's the same story. It's not a new world, it's the same world with new elements.

As I said, same old crap in a new package. Everytime theres a new Zelda game, they go back to the last and pick out everything from it, update it, and release it as a new game. That is exactly what it is.

You completely missed my point on the issue of control and learning curve.

There is no learning curve with the Wii-mote. In every game so far it has been nothing more than replacing button presses with small movements. Want to make Link slash his sword? Don't press B anymore, you shake the controller. Want to make Mario jump? Don't press a button, shake the controller. Want to swing a tennis racket? Move your wrist instead of pressing the button. The whole concept is silly and stupid. I said it before and I'll say it again, Wii games will eventually require the "classic" controller to be played.

Nintendo always makes outlandish claims for their games. They are not to be believed or trusted when it comes to their estimate of how long it will take someone to complete a game. To get 100% in the game MIGHT take 75 hours.

But to see the actual end credits? I guarantee you an average person will be able to do it in less than 15 hours.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 53 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1534 posts

Nov 18, 2006
The Wiimote is a great idea expecially to TP, Sure Good graphics are cool but is that what makes a game fun, i would much rather have swinging motions then eye bulging

Message 54 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 18, 2006

TheSepheroth wrote:

wrote:

TheSepheroth wrote:
tell  me why do people buy madden or nba live every year

Because Madden receives more new updates every year than Zelda has since the jump from 2D to 3D?

Plus you get new rosters, new player/team standings, etc. Basically, not only do you get all around improvements (and more annually than Zelda has gotten in a decade), but the games are also FUN. Last time I had fun with Zelda? Link's Awakening.

And the incredibly ironic thing here is that most of these people who talk about how great Zelda is weren't even around to play the original games! Look at the sales of previous Zelda games.

Ocarina of Time sold more than the previous games did! A clear indication that it was the first for many so-called Zelda fans. Not only that, but Wind Waker only sold slightly more than Zelda 2, the game regarded as the worst in the series!

Zelda is only overhyped slightly more than Halo.

Message Edited by on 11-17-2006 10:51 PM

Ok the First zeldas were good and fun but the jump to 3d was a big Plus for the series Dont get me Wrong i love the snes Zelda but the jump to 3d allowed more in depth game play, so waht you save the queen everytime, Last time i checked U save the world in Final fantasy every time

There is a HUGE difference between Final Fantasy and Zelda. First of all, Zelda uses the same basic characters, same world, same plot, same story, same enemies, etc. every time. Go play A Link to the Past then play Ocarina and tell me it's not the same freakin story with some elements slightly changed.

Final Fantasy has the "save the world plot". But how similar are the storylines? CHaracters? How is the gameplay even the same anymore? Look how much FF has changed from FF9, X, X-2, and 12. The only things they have in common, really, would be the FF name and production values.

Message 55 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 18, 2006

TheSepheroth wrote:
The Wiimote is a great idea expecially to TP, Sure Good graphics are cool but is that what makes a game fun, i would much rather have swinging motions then eye bulging

Swinging motions? Have you read Wii user experiences? You don't have to swing the controller. Every single Wii game out there can be played by just moving your wrist or shaking the controller. You can sit down on your couch and just flick your wrist and you'll be playing the Wii tennis game exactly the same as if you were standing up swinging the controller.

Oh, and I forgot, how did the jump to 3D add depth to Zelda? It played exactly the same as the SNES game, just in 3D. Instead of using the grappling hook to hook on to a location on the floor or a wall, you hooked on to a spot on a ceiling.. You can't even jump on your own free will! You could do that in Link's Awakening!

Message 56 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4534 posts

Nov 18, 2006
Judging from the reviews of a lot of sites and magazines, I can safely say that Twilight Princess will be one of, if not the best game this year. I've been looking forward to it ever since it was announced, and I can't wait to play it.
OTR
Message 57 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 18, 2006

GamerGuy15 wrote:
Judging from the reviews of a lot of sites and magazines, I can safely say that Twilight Princess will be one of, if not the best game this year. I've been looking forward to it ever since it was announced, and I can't wait to play it.

Sorry, Final Fantasy XII already took game of the year

Bully occupies 2nd place.

Infact, theres a number of PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, and PC games that are better than Zelda.

Message 58 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1534 posts

Nov 18, 2006
Im pretty sure you have to play zelda to know if its best and as for F12 imo its pretty lame although i still like it compared to the others its lame

Message 59 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4534 posts

Nov 18, 2006

wrote:

GamerGuy15 wrote:

Sorry, Final Fantasy XII already took game of the year

Bully occupies 2nd place.

Infact, theres a number of PS2, Xbox, Xbox360, and PC games that are better than Zelda.

Forgot about FFXII, still need to go get that. Smiley Tongue

I still think its going to be a top candidate for Game of the Year. I don't see Bully being in second place at all, but that's my opinion. I think TP is going to "make a lot of noise" as NBA fans would say. Its a system seller that's for sure. Brilliant move on Nintendo's part to make it a launch title.

OTR
Message 60 of 82 (0 Views)
0 Likes