Nov 22 2013
By: xymox333 Lombax Warrior 240 posts

Gamers don't even respect spin-offs.

[ Edited ]
13 replies 162 views Edited Nov 22, 2013

I might have some people say I am just copying some of My other topics, but I'm gonna say this anyway. Alot of times I say Spin-offs do next to nothing for most handheld consoles, And that Handhelds are better off with main-entry game titles. Recent conversations on this forum (and many others) are just driving home a single point.

Not many people care about spin-offs, most player's ignore them when they are talking about there favorite game franchises, when you see "Top 100 game list" and "Best games of this generation" list. You rarely see spin-offs mentioned in those list and unfortunately spin-offs are often associated with handheld consoles.

When people talk about Uncharted they metion the first 3 and the up coming Uncharted 4, but somehow Uncharted Golden abyss slips everyone's mind. Killzone another great Sony franchise, Most people act like sony has only made four. They ignore the other two on Psp and Ps vita.

The reason most devs don't put any effort into spin-offs is because most gamers don't care about them, they have a mind set that if it's not a main-entry title it is not important, but if that Handheld console spin-off turns out to be better then the Main-enrty home console version.

Home console players will demand the game be ported. But God forbid a portable console get a main-enrty tiltle (people were angry when mario kart 7 was announced as a 3ds exsclusive) and instead they end up with a spin-off (home console players still want a main-enrty pokemon game).

I have played some really good spin-offs that deserved alot more praise then what the media gave them. I just wanna know why most people act like they don't exist.

This is my opinion and you don't have to agree, but I want your thoughts.

Message 1 of 14 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6929 posts

Re: gamers don't even respect spin-offs.

Nov 22, 2013

The unfortunate thing about spin-offs is most of them end up being mediocre or they're not good as the original which is why you'd often see people complaining.

Message 2 of 14 (157 Views)
Wastelander
734 posts

Nov 22, 2013
Spin offs are crap usually or madr by a different company
Message 3 of 14 (153 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28986 posts

Nov 22, 2013

The best spin off was The Jeffersons.

Message 4 of 14 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Re: Gamers don't even respect spin-offs.

Nov 22, 2013
Uncharted: Golden Abyss was better than Uncharted 3. Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 14 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

Nov 22, 2013

I wouldn't say that gamers don't respect spin-offs in games. They definitely acknowledge their existence. As I remember it, Uncharted: Golden Abyss was highlighted as the game-to-get by many who were buying their Vita on the day of its release. However, reception of the game seemed to turn out less than stellar in the end, at least for some. For spin-offs, it all depends on the game in question. Many times a spin-off just might see a different developer attempt to follow in the footsteps as the series' originator. In this sense, while some good may come out of it you're asking someone else to extrapolate an existing formula into new reaches. Doing things their own way while abiding by the laws of that universe is kind of like replacing a more respected artist's work with one that hasn't proved themselves to match the same level of proficiency.

Though, not all video game spin-offs has developers trying to imitate one another. Just look at Super Mario Kart. It's the game that pretty much invented (or at least brought to the spotlight) the kart-racing genre. Perfecting it, this game has since seen many sequels, but the original is the one I think blasted every other offering the franchise has thrown our way. Dr. Mario, another Mario spin-off, is a Tetris clone. Still, the game manages to apply its own unique twist on the rules and comes away shining brightly.

Message 6 of 14 (119 Views)
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Nov 24, 2013
I think it's because people expect a game or movie or whatever to match the quality of the game, show, movie it is based around, when it doesn't it usually disappoints many. I don't mind spin-offs though, as long as they're done good.
Message 7 of 14 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Nov 24, 2013
Best spin-off game ever?

I believe that this one might even be in a top 100 list. Could be wrong though.

Luigi's Mansion
Message 8 of 14 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Nov 24, 2013
Oh, not to mention one of the greatest games of all time.

Portal.
Message 9 of 14 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Nov 24, 2013
The Ratchet and Clank spin-offs were good Smiley Happy
Also TLDR sorry.
Message 10 of 14 (79 Views)
0 Likes