Last Guardian
13545 posts

Re: Game testing jobs

Mar 18, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

There was an article I read a long time ago about being a game tester. Basically it made the job seem very bad. Your job for the day might be something like play level 4 over and over again looking for bugs, glitches, anything that needs fixing or addressed. Long hours. It's not a 9-5 gig. You don't get to beat games. You'll have 1 game that you work on for a month or more. A lot of the time you will be playing terrible games unless you get on with a good studio.

This may not always be the case but that article, I believe it was on 1up, turned me off from the job.

This is what I was going to say. I read something in GameInformer or somewhere where a former game tester compared the job to being a slave. All day long doing the same actions or levels in a game, over and over and over. The guy was like a whistleblower. Sounded like a horrible job.

Message 31 of 32 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Game testing jobs

Mar 18, 2013

NekkedSnake wrote:
I hear being a game tester is one of the worst game industry jobs you can have.

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

There was an article I read a long time ago about being a game tester. Basically it made the job seem very bad. Your job for the day might be something like play level 4 over and over again looking for bugs, glitches, anything that needs fixing or addressed. Long hours. It's not a 9-5 gig. You don't get to beat games. You'll have 1 game that you work on for a month or more. A lot of the time you will be playing terrible games unless you get on with a good studio.

This may not always be the case but that article, I believe it was on 1up, turned me off from the job.

This is what I was going to say. I read something in GameInformer or somewhere where a former game tester compared the job to being a slave. All day long doing the same actions or levels in a game, over and over and over. The guy was like a whistleblower. Sounded like a horrible job.

It is one of the worst..... but its also called paying your dues.

Almost no one, ever, gets the dream job of creating characters, being an animator, concept artist, level designer etc etc without first getting the basics of such particular discipline FIRST.

When someone dreams of being a fighter pilot, you don't automatically go to school for it and start training.... no... you spend YEARS doing something else. Like actually GETTING an education pertaining to your job, before you are EVER trusted to do something like fly a $100million plane on your own. And even then, you have to go through the rigorous physical tests before you're ever even CLEARED to be fit to fly.

A dream job is just that... a dream. No one ever gets their dream job unless they're willing to commit to sifting through all of the crap and being crapped on throughout the process.

Even being in the military.... you know what you do when you finally get out of tech school and get to your first duty station? You're essentially the janitor and the errand boy for the first few years, or at least until you get deployed to see the REAL military.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 32 of 32 (50 Views)