Sep 22 2012
By: Angel_Of_Night1 Monster Hunter 39 posts

Game Tester?

3 replies 178 views Edited Sep 22, 2012

Hello, Im currently looking into getting a job as a game tester. Im 100% serious about this. Im not sure how or where to get hired as one, so im going to nedd some assisstance. Can someone please help me find out where or how i can get hired as a game test? Alsso I have bought a course online for game testing. I currently have two plastation 3's in my house. I know this isnt about having fun while playing the games i will have to test. I also know i have to be serious and find mistakes in the games, and how to correct them. Thank you for reading this i hope someone can help me have a wonderful day!

Message 1 of 4 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Re: Game Tester?

Sep 22, 2012

Good luck with that not much money there a lot of companies don't even hire outside testers anymore they just run Alpha and Beta test and they can get millions of testers for free. If you do land a job as one don't ever think you are going to make a good living at it. Have you looked at going to school for game design why test someone else's product when you can make your own. Some of the biggest games out now were made by guys at home.

Message 2 of 4 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2699 posts

Sep 23, 2012

Move to San Diego, CA.  If you're not here already lol.  I've had friends here who worked for Sony.  One modeled stuff for Playstation Home crap and certain PSN titles.  Another one had a position to test Sly Cooper last year.  Both of them were laid off btw.  Sony had that big lay-off recently.

I think this city is the best place to get your feet wet in the industry.  I'm not really in to it because I feel that the money is not really worth it to me.  That's just me though lol.

There were tons of studios here too.  989 back in the day.  Friends in high school had internships there.  Known one dude who worked at Rockstar Games.  I think he worked on RDR.  Had friends who worked for Midway, when it was around.  They tested Mortal Kombat, the sub-zero one I think.  Back in the PS2 days.

My long time friend who did testing on Sly Cooper actually quitted his job to persue gaming as a career.  He quitted a $14/hour job to work for Sony and make only $9/hr.  I was like "**bleep** your crazy lol".  He attends "Coleman University" here in San Diego for programming.  He even got into E3 this year lol.

But yea, that's the only advice I have. Move here, there's plenty of resources here in the gaming industry.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 3 of 4 (155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Sep 24, 2012

The online courses I have seen are scam and how do you give a course on testing, that being said you do know you can make about the same money working at a fast food joint as a tester does. Im not sure about everywhere put I can tell you there is a lot of developers in Texas but if I were you I would move my sights higher. Go into development if you really want to work on games, even if you are not good at programming there is sound design, marketing, writing etc etc. The only way you would want to take a job as a tester is if its to get your foot in the door. Go to school and learn programming or marketing or some type of management then try to work with a developer. Also keep in mind a lot of the guys making these games never went to school they were self taught and worked there way up the hard way. Now there is a lot of great schools offering programs and that is who are getting the jobs now the more schooling you have the better chance you have at doing something great. Don't cut yourself short by trying to become a tester a lot of those guys are out of work. There are still testers being hired but a lot of those guys take the job because they are going to school for game design and take the jobs as away to get their foot in the door. Also a lot of those jobs are filled by people who have friends who work there already, the first thing I would ask someone who wanted to be a tester is why, if they tell me its because they like to play games Im going to tell them to go home and play one. If they tell me they are going to school for game design and are trying to get a job in the field while they go to school that's the guy IM hiring.

Message 4 of 4 (139 Views)