VP of Gaming
31185 posts

Re: Futurama Final Episode...

Sep 5, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
The whole final episode is set up so that it loops indefinitely, meaning that the time freezing will keep happening and Fry and Leela will be able to grow old together with everyone frozen for all eternity.

There's a misconception as to what point in time the Professor's modded Time Button brings them to, but it's been confirmed by Matt Groening that the button takes them back to the point where the Professor creates the button, NOT back to the pilot episode, which was heavily hinted at by Comedy Central when they aired the pilot right after the final episode aired.

I personally loved the episode and am happy that this was the series finale. Made me really sad and happy at the same time. Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

I believe the Professor said that himself after he fixed it. I thought it was great episode but I'm sad that it's all over. I wonder what they'll do now....

Message 11 of 23 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20485 posts

Sep 5, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
The whole final episode is set up so that it loops indefinitely, meaning that the time freezing will keep happening and Fry and Leela will be able to grow old together with everyone frozen for all eternity.

There's a misconception as to what point in time the Professor's modded Time Button brings them to, but it's been confirmed by Matt Groening that the button takes them back to the point where the Professor creates the button, NOT back to the pilot episode, which was heavily hinted at by Comedy Central when they aired the pilot right after the final episode aired.

I personally loved the episode and am happy that this was the series finale. Made me really sad and happy at the same time. Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

I believe the Professor said that himself after he fixed it. I thought it was great episode but I'm sad that it's all over. I wonder what they'll do now....

He said that the new button will take them back to before he got the idea of the button. If you only think of this one episode, you can tell that he means the beginning of this episode so that the final episode is basically an infinite loop. However, since the pilot aired right after the final episode, people have speculated that the Professor could have thought of the button right around the time Fry came to the year 3000, meaning that the whole series is just one big loop.

There are a lot of thoughts and a lot of counter-arguments to these things (such as the episode The Late Phillip J. Fry and how the forward time machine breaks the looping of the final episode), but I personally think that it's made to have the final episode loop forever so that Fry and Leela can live their best moments together for all eternity.

Message 12 of 23 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

eagles1990 wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

He said that the new button will take them back to before he got the idea of the button. If you only think of this one episode, you can tell that he means the beginning of this episode so that the final episode is basically an infinite loop. However, since the pilot aired right after the final episode, people have speculated that the Professor could have thought of the button right around the time Fry came to the year 3000, meaning that the whole series is just one big loop.

There are a lot of thoughts and a lot of counter-arguments to these things (such as the episode The Late Phillip J. Fry and how the forward time machine breaks the looping of the final episode), but I personally think that it's made to have the final episode loop forever so that Fry and Leela can live their best moments together for all eternity.

That pretty much what I tought. It was obivous that when he said that it would send them back to before he created it, it would send them back to the beginning of the episode. But my question would be, would he notice the loop like he did when Fry kept on pressing it to save himself? And in its way, it's like Inception. Think about it: Dominick Cobb and Mal lived in a world where nobody told them what to do, they made the rules, they shaped it in the form that they wanted it to be and it was their world where they could love each other forever. In Futurama, they were stuck in a Frozen Space-Time Continumm. They decided to travel the world, they did what they wanted to do and lived their lives together forever. It was a world that was solely based around them. The only diference was that in Inception it was a dream realm that they could come out of and in Futurama, it was a Frozen Universe.

photo 8404_8a96_zps4b0191c3.gif

Message 13 of 23 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1475 posts

Sep 6, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Dude, I was sad and happy as well...I was sad that this was the last episode since I am now getting into the show, but happy because I can wait for the entire series to go on sell, buy it, and watch the whole series beginning to end.

photo 8404_8a96_zps4b0191c3.gif

Message 14 of 23 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5017 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2013
Spoiler

nasrulez wrote:
It's possible, unless Professor still retains his memory. Then he could stop Fry from stealing the Time Button.

But if they are in an infinite loop, I'm totally fine with it. It's an infinite loop of happiness.

The Professor says they will not remember any of it tho. 

Edit: I am happy that Fry finally got his wish of being with Leela

Message 15 of 23 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9963 posts

Sep 6, 2013
^ I know. At first I thought maybe the Professor would remember. But after a second viewing it's clear it will be an eternal loop.

And about the theory of looping back to the pilot, I think that would've been cool too. But impossible since some episodes would contradict that. (But some of the continuity was retconned anyway so does it really matter?)
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 16 of 23 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20485 posts

Sep 6, 2013

nasrulez wrote:
^ I know. At first I thought maybe the Professor would remember. But after a second viewing it's clear it will be an eternal loop.

And about the theory of looping back to the pilot, I think that would've been cool too. But impossible since some episodes would contradict that. (But some of the continuity was retconned anyway so does it really matter?)

There's a few continuity issues with the looping in general, especially with the forwards time machine in The Late Phillip J. Fry, but if you look at the final episode on its own, you'll see that it'll loop over and over again with no continuity issues.

And as to the idea that the Professor will still have the button/will remember the button, he states that nobody will remember anything about the button and he'll go back to the point before he ever thought of it. Whether or not this means the button still exists or not, I don't know, but he'll keep making it and the episode will keep looping. If you think about it, if the button remains, there will be tons of reset buttons that take them back to before the Professor thought of the button.

It's a little complicated when typing it out, but it does make sense if you look at this episode on its own and don't count any possible issues from other past episodes.

Message 17 of 23 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7144 posts

Sep 6, 2013
I saw it yesterday and I loved it. What a fantastic way to end the series. Heck, if anything it at least left the door open for episodes in the future IF it is renewed by someone else.
Message 18 of 23 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Sep 7, 2013
Need to watch the entire series. I like Futurama but haven't seen the new episodes. Just need Netflix to put them and watch the movies as well.
Message 19 of 23 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5706 posts

Sep 7, 2013

give it time they will make another movie

images.jpg

Message 20 of 23 (54 Views)
0 Likes