Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Re: Forums need a filter

Dec 8, 2012
Some people just don't know any better. Maybe the forums need another change again. Some people like seeing their name in print. Sony, is the cause of this as well. They didn't need to fix or change the store. It wasn't broken. 1,000 threads on the same subject. That's Sony's fault. What were they thinking when it came to the new store. People do it as well, for their own entertainment value as well. Some could care less, if there was already a post about the subject. They will start another one.
Message 11 of 19 (110 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 8, 2012

rramsdell wrote:
Some people just don't know any better. Maybe the forums need another change again. Some people like seeing their name in print. Sony, is the cause of this as well. They didn't need to fix or change the store. It wasn't broken. 1,000 threads on the same subject. That's Sony's fault. What were they thinking when it came to the new store. People do it as well, for their own entertainment value as well. Some could care less, if there was already a post about the subject. They will start another one.

No that's the purpose of the filter. If there already is so many of that thread existing they would be unable to post a new one. They would be given a list of existing ones the can post in. Like an automatic search when you go to create a new thread. You put "Minecraft" in the title and a list of Minecraft threads comes up instead of you being anle to create a new one. I have no illusions of this actually happening. I was blowing off steam and making a Christmas wish. Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 19 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 8, 2012
Yeah....the forums need to change, no doubt. Ask a moderator why there is no fliter. Could be, they just want the forums to be active and show off their stats lol.
Message 13 of 19 (100 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39424 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

Not a filter to help search. Apparently no one searches any more. They just post new threads. Unless they just want to necrobump. Okay I'm purposely digressing. Smiley Tongue No. We need a filter so people can't create the ten thousandth Minecraft, Cross Game Chat, Change Yor PSN ID, How do I make my PS3 play PS2 Games, Help........etc.... you get the idea.

Have you ever done a search here? It's predictive. So how hard would it be for them to make it that if so many key words of your title or post matched it  would automatically redirecet to an existing thread and prevent you from making a new one?

I'm not about abridging discussion but we all know there are things that have been covered ad infitum and still get brought up. Any thoughts or additions? I'm sure I left out some recurring themes. Like code begging. Capt. Smiley Tongue

I'm pretty much with you on this ne1.

The posts, although a pain in the **bleep** do not rend to bother me or get under my skin as much as they perhaps do yourself & others, sometimes my reaction is the "facepalm or some other picture that says exactly how I feel,  sometimes I'll get a little more involved, a lot of the time I'll just ignore them, but yes, they are annoying.

The vast majority of people that come to these Forums come for 2 main reasons, firstly because they have a problem & need help solving it & secondly because they want to complain/troll, both will generally not use the search function because they either can't be bothered & just want to get their question out there or they do search & the search fails in some way by returning results that the person doesn't want.

There could be a Third, the third could be the person that only just got their PS3 & really are not aware that the PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, wonders why Minecraft isn't available, they made a mistake with their PSN ID & want to alter it but can't, some of them are genuine & the OP genuinely doesn't know.

The weekends on here still annoy me, I've reported 3, possibly 4 Threads already from the same PSN ID we've had here for a week or so now, you know the one, the one that advertises cheap Nike shoes or pocketbooks etc, why a PSN ID like that can't be banned I don't know!

I'm not sure a filter is going to work, or how it would be coded, certain words etc, just not sure, don't get me wrong ne1 t's not a bad idea, I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble, effort & of course the cost of introducing it, I'd much rather have more Moderators or other people avaialble, as was suggested by someone a few weeks back, but again that's cost too, & the Moderators in my opinion do a pretty good job considering, they can't be everyone after all.

I do not however think the Forums need to change, are they perhaps still "tweaking" things in the background?, my guess would be yes.

Just my Saturday's 2 pennies Smiley Wink.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 14 of 19 (92 Views)
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Thanks for chiming in Brit. You hit every nail squarely on the head. I reported every one of those threads you mentioned. The mods will probably be mad I spammed their inbox. Smiley Very Happy I know this will probably never happen just wishful thinking. I agree they could use more Mods and that they do a good job with what they have. Maybe they should give MVPs limited modding power to take up some slack.

Message 15 of 19 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

You know they will just change the forum agains.   I haven't reported any one from this board yet, but I can't stand people's comments sometimes.  For example:  When we were talking about football.  Some dude says, "Patriots are pretenders, not contenders."   Rather making a point, he's got to insult.  I'd rather have him make a legit point than with an insult.  Not sure, if I could've reported that, because it wasn't with the topic and uncalled for.   

I tried to give my two cents into it and most of his points were just insults.  He didn't even respond to my PM.  Very, very rare, I will report someone.

Fliters, won't help.  I hardly  use the search myself.  First time I used it, was about the new store.  I saw all the postings and started to laugh.  Great move on SONY'S end.   

Message 16 of 19 (81 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39424 posts

Dec 8, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

You know they will just change the forum agains.   I haven't reported any one from this board yet, but I can't stand people's comments sometimes.  For example:  When we were talking about football.  Some dude says, "Patriots are pretenders, not contenders."   Rather making a point, he's got to insult.  I'd rather have him make a legit point than with an insult.  Not sure, if I could've reported that, because it wasn't with the topic and uncalled for.   

I tried to give my two cents into it and most of his points were just insults.  He didn't even respond to my PM.  Very, very rare, I will report someone.

Fliters, won't help.  I hardly  use the search myself.  First time I used it, was about the new store.  I saw all the postings and started to laugh.  Great move on SONY'S end.   

I actually don't think they will rramsdell, at least not for some time, there's really nothing inherently wrong with these Forums that a bit of "tweaking" couldn't put right, remember these Forums, at least in the state they are now are still very new.

I've reported people before & I'll continue to do so if I think it warrants it, I think it is up to us as regular Forums users to report people if we think it's required, in fact the Moderators & DPM's have asked us to do just that, it helps them out & at the same time it gives us an opportunity to be involved in their running.

People like the ones with the comments like the one you mentioned are just out to "stir the pot", people, especially sports people are especially passionate about their teams & will defend them to the death, people will make comments to "push buttons". The comment wasn't worth reporting though, they have a right to their comment, however much you may disagree with it, sometimes it's best to walk away.

P.S.. I always respond to your PM'S Smiley Wink.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 17 of 19 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

True....he didn't even defend any of his teams and just insulted mine, for whatever reason.  He doesn't understand that I said to him, "I'm a football fan in general as well."  You're right for one, that he was just trying to, "push my buttons."  And, can't really make a legit point, without doing that.  Like I said before, he never responded to my PM and it there were no insults at all, just points.  He just wanted to be heard as well.  That's why I stopped the thread, rather to continue it and spam the board or get upset and ruin my fun.  

People will always abuse the forums, no matter where you go.    I've seen some pretty bad ones in the past. And,  I don't think fliters, would even work either.   I get annoyed when you do a search and other stuff comes up, and it wasn't even what you were looking for.  

True, they may not change it anytime soon.  But, the fliter issue would be a tough subject I think.   Wouldn't hurt to try it though.  And, run a test on it. 

Message 18 of 19 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
631 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Great suggestion but is not going to happen. Changing ID you seen this on Japan account. However, NA is going to happen. If I were you I won't be questioning anymore. What there doing are fine, they just doing every feature small you know step by step. You will even see the errors of your ps3 system if you put all in one place. What happens if these features goes bad I mean no offense Playstation developers. Probably the system needs more fix. But the features there cool however, not going to happen.

Message 19 of 19 (61 Views)
0 Likes