Dec 08 2012
By: ne1atall MVP Support 24785 posts

Forums need a filter

18 replies 159 views Edited Dec 8, 2012

Not a filter to help search. Apparently no one searches any more. They just post new threads. Unless they just want to necrobump. Okay I'm purposely digressing. Smiley Tongue No. We need a filter so people can't create the ten thousandth Minecraft, Cross Game Chat, Change Yor PSN ID, How do I make my PS3 play PS2 Games, Help........etc.... you get the idea.

Have you ever done a search here? It's predictive. So how hard would it be for them to make it that if so many key words of your title or post matched it  would automatically redirecet to an existing thread and prevent you from making a new one?

I'm not about abridging discussion but we all know there are things that have been covered ad infitum and still get brought up. Any thoughts or additions? I'm sure I left out some recurring themes. Like code begging. Capt. Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 19 (159 Views)
Shinra Executive
42126 posts

Re: Forums need a filter

Dec 8, 2012
Would be a nice feature but I'm wondering how they'd do it between the thread title and post. Maybe seeing certain combinations/orders of words? I mean, not everyone is clear/descriptive in their thread titles but what if it's pointing you to a post that's semi-off topic in another unrelated thread?

Message 2 of 19 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Dec 8, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

Not a filter to help search. Apparently no one searches any more. They just post new threads. Unless they just want to necrobump. Okay I'm purposely digressing. Smiley Tongue No. We need a filter so people can't create the ten thousandth Minecraft, Cross Game Chat, Change Yor PSN ID, How do I make my PS3 play PS2 Games, Help........etc.... you get the idea.

Have you ever done a search here? It's predictive. So how hard would it be for them to make it that if so many key words of your title or post matched it  would automatically redirecet to an existing thread and prevent you from making a new one?

I'm not about abridging discussion but we all know there are things that have been covered ad infitum and still get brought up. Any thoughts or additions? I'm sure I left out some recurring themes. Like code begging. Capt. Smiley Tongue

Searched Hockey, found the current one I was in.  Decided I wanted a twist on the topic, created a new one.  CHECK!

Searched PS Store.  Found about a hundred different people pissing about the same **bleep** thing. Smiley Very Happy

JK, I feel your pain ne1, I really do.  When you confront them about it, they just get belligerent.  Even though you are really trying to help.  I guess our sarcasm doesn't go over well with the "new" folks.  Oh well, they deserve to get crap, if they can't figure it out.  Look at me, I straightened out.  Yup, as straight as a curve Smiley LOL.

I am with you though.

Moble

Message 3 of 19 (153 Views)
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 8, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:
Would be a nice feature but I'm wondering how they'd do it between the thread title and post. Maybe seeing certain combinations/orders of words? I mean, not everyone is clear/descriptive in their thread titles but what if it's pointing you to a post that's semi-off topic in another unrelated thread?

Of course some would slip thru the filter and be allowed to be made but how may "MInecraft" or " Change Name" threads would be avoided? It would still cut clutter.

Message 4 of 19 (147 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 8, 2012

How many " New Store Sucks" or "Update Killed My PS3" threads would it cut down on?

Message 5 of 19 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42126 posts

Dec 8, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Of course some would slip thru the filter and be allowed to be made but how may "MInecraft" or " Change Name" threads would be avoided? It would still cut clutter.

I stick to certain parts of the forum so I don't see those kinds of threads thankfully Smiley Very Happy

If it's only presenting the option to look at an older/already made thread, I still expect people to 'avoid' the recommendation and to post their thread regardless.  People are just like that.

Message 6 of 19 (140 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Yeah, people want to start their own threads because it's easier to do than to search for something and see if their post matches someone elses. A filter would be a good idea in theory but people would overlook it. 

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 7 of 19 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

If there is a certain thread im looking for I dont use the forums search I found it actually easier to use google it finds threads for me pretty good.

Message 8 of 19 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 8, 2012

People like to be heard.  That's why there was several complaints about the new store.  Including myself, I'm guilty of it.   I realize, they don't give two bleep.  There is nothing we can do about it.  Fliters, would only tick people off. 

Message 9 of 19 (115 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

People like to be heard.  That's why there was several complaints about the new store.  Including myself, I'm guilty of it.   I realize, they don't give two bleep.  There is nothing we can do about it.  Fliters, would only tick people off. 

Seeing the same thing that has been covered over and over and over and over........Ticks people off too. Or am I alone? Doesn't it bother anyone else? How many different "I want Minecraft" or "I hate the Store" or etc... threads do we need? I understand people want to be heard. Having 1 thread with 1,000 different people posting in it would have a greater impact than 1000 threads with 1 person in it. The only impact multiple redundant threads make is clutter.

Message 10 of 19 (111 Views)
0 Likes