Platinum
56235 posts

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:
PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

DoubleO_seven wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

My Thoughts:

Who cares, really?  So what the dude is gay, doesn't change a darn thing about how he plays the game of basketball.

I get annoyed by the people who make a big deal over their sexual orientations be it same sex or opposite sex.

Yay your gay, now get over yourself and score some baskets!  :smileytongue:

Are teams ready:

Yes, why wouldn't they be?   I've heard a few tv personalities bring up "pro atheletes are homophobic" yet I haven't seen them back up that type of comment with a real world example, so yes I think teams will be fine. 

Free Agent:

Any smart recruiter for a team will not have his sexual orientation impact their decision, they will decide based on his skill on the court.. 

Plymco Plymco Man Sad

Maybe its bigger than the individual. Coming out as a active gay player in one of the 4 major sports . This is a defining moment in sports.  The Jackie Robinson of gay athletes. It encourages others, fosters an open, relaxed accepting atomosphere in the locker rooms. There is a long way to go until it is not a big deal. Until it doesn’t merit the cover of Sports Illustrated, until leagues don’t have to warn teams not to ask about the preferences of incoming rookie. In reply to your pro athletes are homophobic bit. I remember when former NBA superstar Tim Hardaway said "I hate gay people" "dont want them on my team or to be near them" before trying to backpeddal from the backlash.  Maybe athletes hold their tongue when it comes to things like this? If you need proof, you can find it on youtube.

This is not like Jackie Robinson in my opinion, you are comparing apples to oranges.  The struggles of an enslaved people from africa to get equality and freedom in this Nation were WAY WAY WAY bigger a deal than some dude who plays professional sports saying he is gay.   Being gay is accepted and cool today in our society, hence my lack of "WOW" factor with this decision.  It is also why I find the comparison to Mr Robinson and the Civil Rights struggles of the decendents of slaves to not be accurate, at all. 
I judge people based off the content of their character and not their sexual orientation, nationality, religion, ect ect.    This guy being gay changes nothing about his status as a pro athelete in my mind. 

The Jackie Robison of gay athletes. Dont make it more than it actually is. I know what the movement was about. Of course it wont have the same impact. and its just common sense to know that the Jackie situation was bigger.  All i ment in my statement was he  is the first to do it in sports. nothing more. Dont strain your brain . No need to explain what Jackie..and as hw says, "his kind" had to go through. Thank you for your insight.

Why are you qouting "his kind" as if I had made such a statement?  I don't like people putting words into my "mouth" I didn't say nor do I like quotes of me being hacked up when the parts being taken out are the context of my post!   

Just had to set the record straight that I didn't use the descriptor you imply I did.   EDIT: And I put the full context of our discussion back in there above.  

EDIT 2:  Notice I didn't re-counter argue you.  You have an opinion, which you hold based off of things I wish I was more aware of, and I respect that.  My opinion is different and I told you why I feel that way.  I'll move along now.

Message 41 of 114 (179 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1626 posts

Apr 30, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

EDIT 2:  Notice I didn't re-counter argue you.  You have an opinion, which you hold based off of things I wish I was more aware of, and I respect that.  My opinion is different and I told you why I feel that way.  I'll move along now.

Thanks Plym. I thought my post was obvious I was talking to both you and HW and quoted "his kind" to let know him know it was a poor choice of words imo.  You kudos it and i assumed people only kudos post when they agree with everything that person says.

www.soundcloud.com/jahge
Message 42 of 114 (152 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

The only thing that concerns me with the story, why NOW?  After the CELTICS,  won against the Knicks, the story finally breaks.  If they didn't win, the story doesn't break.  This is a distraction to the Cetlics, wheather they admit it or not.  They should've waited until the Playoffs were done.  Its not like they can easily forget the bombings of the marathon.  Now this comes.  This coming from a BOSTON sports fan, we don't need this.  Just let them play ball and that's it.  

.The Celtics don't need anymore drama.  And, for the rest of Boston sports, because we need to get back to winning again.  I don't care if the athlete is gay or not.  If they can do the job, sign the dude.  

Message 43 of 114 (139 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1626 posts

Apr 30, 2013

rramsdell wrote:

The only thing that concerns me with the story, why NOW?  After the CELTICS,  won against the Knicks, the story finally breaks.  If they didn't win, the story doesn't break.  This is a distraction to the Cetlics, wheather they admit it or not.  They should've waited until the Playoffs were done.  Its not like they can easily forget the bombings of the marathon.  Now this comes.  This coming from a BOSTON sports fan, we don't need this.  Just let them play ball and that's it.  

.The Celtics don't need anymore drama.  And, for the rest of Boston sports, because we need to get back to winning again.  I don't care if the athlete is gay or not.  If they can do the job, sign the dude.  

I agree. Atleast wait till the celtics are fully eliminated Man Wink

I think its great for sports, but as you say its bad timing to be a celtic then come out with this. Im sure next game, this will be all they will talk about

www.soundcloud.com/jahge
Message 44 of 114 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

Apr 30, 2013

people are so passionate about GAY

i saw that guy on the news saying he wanted to wait for someone else to come out

so that it would be less awkward for him i guess

Message 45 of 114 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Apr 30, 2013
Message 46 of 114 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Apr 30, 2013
Apart from Hitman's rampant homophobia, this has been an interesting and productive discussion. Keep it up.
Message 47 of 114 (118 Views)
MVP Support
16925 posts

Apr 30, 2013

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Normal is a man being with a woman

im sure there is math equations or something to prove this

Johngie, when I saw this I decided to stop replying.  I think it says it all.  

** Use a unique password for your PSN ID - one you don't use anywhere else **
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear ** ** two-step verification - use it **

”Signature-1.jpg”
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========

Message 48 of 114 (112 Views)
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Apr 30, 2013
im not impressed. alot of people sayin he's "brave" for coming out...really? its 2013. for some reason being gay (and for some reason being a nerd and being a hillbilly) are cool right now. i think he would have actually been brave to come out when he first went to college or first entered the .ba...effectively wagering his career on coming out...but he waits until he's about done playing therefore risking nothing...ya how brave.
Message 49 of 114 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Apr 30, 2013

This is big for the GBL community.

I was just discussing this with my brother last night.

I live in the SF bay area and It's no biggy. The majority accepts it here. But, there are of course other parts of the country who do not.

We both were talking about how we can't wait until this is no longer a "big dealin our society.

Or the day someone comes out and says "... I'm straight." Smiley Tongue

The point being, it shouldn't be a problem. Male, Female, Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Black, White, Brown -- whatever.

It shouldn't be an issue. We're all human. Play ball and accept each other as we are.

PeaceOut

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 50 of 114 (87 Views)
0 Likes