Apr 30 2013
By: DoubleO_seven Uncharted Territory 1616 posts
Accepted Solution

First active gay athlete to come out.

113 replies 257 views Edited Apr 30, 2013

Goes by the name of Jason Collins. Plays center in the NBA and is the first athlete to come out in any of the 4 major sports. What are your thoughts on it?

Do you think pro teams are ready to have gay athletes in their locker room?  Also he is to become a free agent. Think it will hurt his chances of signing to a new team or will executives use it as a marketing opportunity?

Whats your take on all this?

Message 1 of 114 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Re: First active gay athlete to come out.

Apr 30, 2013
I think it's okay... as long as he is not girly. If slavery stopped then hate towards gay people should stop too.
Message 2 of 114 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

renatabls wrote:
I think it's okay... as long as he is not girly. If slavery stopped then hate towards gay people should stop too.

hmm as long as he is not girly its ok. this somewhat sounds hypocritical to say. So if he was girly about it, how would you feel? you wouldnt want him around you?

Do you really feel slavery and whats happening with gays compare?

Message 3 of 114 (246 Views)
MVP Support
40614 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I think this was a very brave thing for Jason Collins to do, by his own admission he has lived an awful lie for years, no one should have to do that, I give him huge kudos for this.

It goes without saying that in every sport & actually in every walk of life there are people who are gay, thankfully most people are now much more accepting of this, it's certanly never been something that has bothered me in the slightest, do I like to see annual  gay marches in San Francisco & other cities, no I do not, if your gay fine, but there's no need march about it anymore.

Back on topic, sorry, will the fact that Collins has 'come out' affect his chances of being chosen, I hope not, I'm also hoping it will influence more players in other sports to do the same, but it must be a very hard thing to do, to come out & admit you've been living a lie for many years, you risk so much.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 114 (241 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

Apr 30, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I think this was a very brave thing for Jason Collins to do, by his own admission he has lived an awful lie for years, no one should have to do that, I give him huge kudos for this.

It goes without saying that in every sport & actually in every walk of life there are people who are gay, thankfully most people are now much more accepting of this, it's certanly never been something that has bothered me in the slightest, do I like to see annual  gay marches in San Francisco & other cities, no I do not, if your gay fine, but there's no need march about it anymore.

Back on topic, sorry, will the fact that Collins has 'come out' affect his chances of being chosen, I hope not, I'm also hoping it will influence more players in other sports to do the same, but it must be a very hard thing to do, to come out & admit you've been living a lie for many years, you risk so much.

BRIT-KO

I was waiting for a reply from you Man Very Happy  Well said.

How do you think his teammates feel that they been sharing a locker room with him? Im sure they are happy for him to get that flat stone off his chest but you dont think they will feel violated at the same time?

Message 5 of 114 (237 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

Apr 30, 2013

Message 6 of 114 (236 Views)
MVP Support
40614 posts

Apr 30, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

BRIT-KO

I was waiting for a reply from you Man Very Happy  Well said.

How do you think his teammates feel that they been sharing a locker room with him? Im sure they are happy for him to get that flat stone off his chest but you dont think they will feel violated at the same time?

To be honest he's been using the locker-rooms for all this time with absolutely no issues at all so one could argue why should that change, personally I don't think it does, or it certainly shouldn't, we're not talking about kids in school or college where some bullying may happen, we're talking about grown up adult men here, surely they can behave in the way they are meant to?

BRIT-KO

Message 7 of 114 (231 Views)
MVP Support
40614 posts

Apr 30, 2013

DoubleO_seven wrote:

I'd like to add that Charles Barkley couldn't have said it better when he said 'I didn't care who he want to bed with the night before he came out & I could care less now too', perfect!

WELL SAID Mr BARKLEY.

BRIT-KO

Message 8 of 114 (226 Views)
Last Guardian
9496 posts

Apr 30, 2013

It's a shame something like this is a big deal in 2013. But this will most likely be handled in a positive light by the media and thus making the world more accepting. Media affects public opinions. 

I am afraid I don't follow basketball and can't speculate much how this will affect Collins' career, but hopefully it doesn't have a negative impact. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 9 of 114 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1616 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

Pretty much he is at the end of his career. A older player not getting much minutes or points. I feel he wanted to get it off his chest before he parts ways with the NBA soon and as Krit said, kudos to him. I just dont want to see a uproar of this on the news/blogs claiming this is the reason why he didnt sign/get accepted to a new team.

Message 10 of 114 (219 Views)
0 Likes