Dec 23 2010
By: DVM-501 Treasure Hunter 7871 posts
Accepted Solution

Filtered Words?

21 replies 36 views Edited Dec 23, 2010

So i   failed today, like a stupid idiot i light my garbage on fire and when i   turned my back the baby got into it and was all a flame. Luckily I   caught it quickly and put him out. But it really sucked... Never again.

I hope this doesn't get locked for being of little discussion value.

The following is what I wrote above, just not censored by the forums:

So i f.ailed today, like a s.tupid  i.diot i light my g.arbage on fire and when i turned my back the baby  got into it and was all a f.lame. Luckily I caught it quickly and put  him out. But it really s.ucked... Never again.

I hope this doesn't get l.ocked for being of little discussion value.

So   my question is, why are these words censored? These words are plain,   ordinary English. Things said every day, and can easily be used with no   negative connotations as displayed by my little made up story above. I   fully understand the need for a word filter, and support one. But do  we  realy need the words cencored?

Message 1 of 22 (36 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Re: Filtered Words?

Dec 23, 2010

Oops, I'd edit my post to fix the one word that I forgot to bypass, but I can't edit.

The word I forgot is supposed to be b.aby.

Also, what's with the large spaces between some of the words? That's not how I wrote it.

Message 2 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9933 posts

Dec 23, 2010

I can somewhat understand for some of the words. Some of them are used in reference to what people post on forums. l.ocked as "in before", s.tupid and g.arbage to describe someone, an opinion, or a video game. F.lame is like l.ocked.

I think it's to prevent people from s.pamming f.laming and to keep people from pointing out the s.pam and f.lames. Still, it does seem a bit much.

"Memories are forgotten, but never lost."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 3 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Dec 23, 2010

WaveK89 wrote:

I can somewhat understand for some of the words. Some of them are used in reference to what people post on forums. l.ocked as "in before", s.tupid and g.arbage to describe someone, an opinion, or a video game. F.lame is like l.ocked.

I think it's to prevent people from s.pamming f.laming and to keep people from pointing out the s.pam and f.lames. Still, it does seem a bit much.

"Memories are forgotten, but never lost."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Either that or they really screwed up the censoring.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 4 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Oh, it'll make it real fun for the Mods when people report posts with something like "f.laming" as the description. The Mods will get a report with a bunch of asterisks looking like the member was cussing at them when they were reporting a thread. Same kind of thing for if a member asks for a thread to be l.ocked, it'll look like their cussing at the Mods.

I should also add that there are some actual words that should be filtered that aren't, though I refuse to actually post them. The censored list is simply backwards.

Message 5 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Dec 23, 2010

I'm sorry, I had to do it.

Message 6 of 22 (36 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Dec 23, 2010

When you go to edit a post that contains a filtered word that you typed, the original text is shown (unlike how it was directly replaced by the text

**bleep**

before), so I hope that the moderators can see the original text, without stars. That, however, still will not prevent other community members from thinking that others are swearing at them and becoming upset.

Also, unlike before, the filtered text is not displayed until the post is made, whichis certainly going to cause additional confusions.

--

I neither work nor speak for SCEA;
the views expressed in this message are solely my own.
Message 7 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Dec 23, 2010

True, and that's one of the concerns. According to the new MVP criteria I'm supposed to be an individual who helps the community, never causing any kind of conflict. But if I say something that's perfectly innocent, forgetting about the filters, it could be taken very much in the wrong context and could cause a lot of problems on the forums, for me, the other members, and the Mods.

Message 8 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2166 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Seems to me that this forums just has more problems than anything else. There are no benefits to speak of. Give me the over bearing mods and poor(old) system back. I don't want this.

-----------------------------------

Message 9 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Dec 23, 2010

Guys, use a Cyrillic/Russian keyboard for vowels (not a "physical" keyboard, but a layout input) to work around useless censоrship. (P.S. the word "censоrship" itself is censоred, but I used a Russian vowel instead )

Don't know about Windows, but for Mac users:

1. Go to "System Preferences."
  2. Choose "Language & Text" (first row).
  3. Then choose "Input Source" tab in the top.
  4. Check "Russian - Phonetic."

You can then alternate between "keyboards." All vowels are the (same except for "u" which is "у" and and "i" which is "и").  Also, some consonants too.  Clicking on "S" will yield "С" ("c" has the sound of "s" in Russian) and R yields "p/P" (The "r" sound is represented by "P" in Russian).  <- again, this is for the PHONETIC keyboard, not the actual Russian keyboard layout (which is different)

P.S. there are of course other letters that look "English" but even the small form looks capital, i.e. Russian "T/t" = Т/т" XD

Hopefully this will help until they implement a PROPER censorship <-- see? C-e-n-s-o-r-s-h-i-p.  And yeah, do not use it for offensive words.  Only use it when necessary!

(Yes, I do have that many trophies and yes, I am *that* fabulous.)
Message 10 of 22 (36 Views)
0 Likes