Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Re: Favorite Recipes

Nov 2, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

GreatnessRD wrote:

You soil the good name of General Tso by replacing the chicken with tofu?! Have you no shame?! Even General Tso shrimp is the fo' serious business, but tofu?! You killin' me smalls! You. Are. Killing. Me!

Baby steps, mate. He may see the light some day.

Bob, I was a meat eater for longer than you have been alive.  I made the choice to go meatless for a lot of reasons - none of which I think will change for the rest of the time I will be alive. Smiley Wink

Grindhead_Jim

Message 21 of 47 (122 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

GreatnessRD wrote:

You soil the good name of General Tso by replacing the chicken with tofu?! Have you no shame?! Even General Tso shrimp is the fo' serious business, but tofu?! You killin' me smalls! You. Are. Killing. Me!

Bob, I was a meat eater for longer than you have been alive.  I made the choice to go meatless for a lot of reasons - none of which I think will change for the rest of the time I will be alive. Smiley Wink

You have many more years to go back. You will take a bite of my Chinese Taco recipe and never go back (my billion-dollar chain idea) Smiley Tongue

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 22 of 47 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Nov 2, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

GreatnessRD wrote:

You have many more years to go back. You will take a bite of my Chinese Taco recipe and never go back (my billion-dollar chain idea) Smiley Tongue

Only if you make a vegetarian version. Smiley Happy

Grindhead_Jim

Message 23 of 47 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Nov 2, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

GreatnessRD wrote:

Only if you make a vegetarian version. Smiley Happy

Just to spite you, I will fry the tofu in beef oil.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 24 of 47 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4356 posts

Nov 2, 2013
I ate some homemade pumpkin pie last night. It was good.
Message 25 of 47 (101 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6228 posts

Re: Favorite Recipes and General Food Discussion

Nov 2, 2013

My Grandmother finally agreed to teach me how to make home made tamales and green chili with pork last year - it's back breaking work but tastes so much better then the restaurant variety.

These are just sample ingredients from the web, my Grandmother doesn't actually use precise ingredients, she's old school with her tin cup and pinches of this and that.

Christmastamales.JPG

Ingredients:

• 7lb pork roast, prefer boneless
  • 1/3 cup chili powder
  • 96 oz. chicken broth ******(You can use the broth from the pork roast)
  • 5 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. chicken base
  • 3 Tbsp. Garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. cinnamon ******(Yuck - don't add cinnamon)
  • 3/4 tsp. sugar ***** (No sugar you want spicy not sweet)
  • 8 Tbsp. flour
  • 3/4 cup cold water

Here is a video I found, because it would take too long to go into detail.

Green Chili or Chili Verde is also great on smothered breakfast burritos....

chili.jpg

Original recipe makes 6 servingsChange Servings
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

• 1 1/2 pounds cubed pork stew meat

• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green Chile peppers, drained

• 1/2 (3.5 ounce) can chopped jalapeno peppers

• 1/2 medium onion, chopped

• 5 tablespoons tomato sauce

• 3 1/2 cups water

• onion salt to taste

• garlic salt to taste

• salt and black pepper to taste

Check All Add to Shopping List

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in cubed pork, and cook until nicely browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, and allow to cool briefly.
  2. Sprinkle flour over pork. With a wooden spoon, stir pork to coat, scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen browned bits. Add chile peppers, jalapenos, and onions. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Season to taste with onion salt, garlic salt, and salt and pepper.
  3. Return skillet to medium heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover, and cook 10 minutes more.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 26 of 47 (99 Views)
MVP Support
14110 posts

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for sharing that really nice tomale recipe. Will have to give it a spin sometime.

I got one that I want to share with you guys tonight.

Will have to dig it up again though XD.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 27 of 47 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
719 posts

Nov 3, 2013

If only i was good at cooking.

Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 47 (89 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14110 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 3, 2013

Found the recipe -- thought I'd share it with you guys.

Chop Suey (my grandma's recipe)

Ingredients list

Beef and Pork

Chinese Vegetables
Bean Sprouts
Water Chestnuts
Celery

Onions

Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce

Water

Brown Sugar

Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil or Grapeseed Oil (the latter is really good, since it has a higher cooking point)

Slice beef and pork into chunks.
Add oil and brown -- then put 1 and a half tablespoons of brown sugar in, then carmelize it.

Take 2-3 cups of celery
1 and a half cups of onions

Add to meat and saute a bit and add enough water to cook until meat is done -- then add at end -- 1/2 before done (it takes around 30 mins., so add some around 15 mins.):

Chinese Vegetables
Bean Sprouts
Water Chestnuts
Add 1/2 a bottle to a whole bottle of Reduced sodium soy sauce.

Also, if anyone needs any help in regards to this, let me know. I got this recipe years ago and a friend of mine helped to clarify it, so if there's anything you guys don't understand... I'll do my best to straighten it out.

With this recipe it's a trial and error thing. It takes practice to get it to turn out well. But it's worth it.

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 29 of 47 (83 Views)
Wastelander
684 posts

Nov 3, 2013

Box9Missingo wrote:

Found the recipe -- thought I'd share it with you guys.

Chop Suey (my grandma's recipe)

Ingredients list

Olive Oil

Box9 I would never use Olive oil in any Asian cuisine whether it be Chinese, Indian or Japanese.... not just because of it's slightly lower smoking point, but because it's prominent flavour doesn't lend itself well to the ingredients associated with this type of cuisine. You're better off using an oil with a more neutral flavour.   Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 47 (71 Views)
0 Likes