Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

Re: Elitist Users Reporting New Users

Apr 22, 2013

@ DVM-501, lauranichole25, BRIT-KO, Lil_The_Pill

People choose to overlook what they want to overlook and such Is the case here, its not about anyone persons character but their actions on the forums.  In the first thread the member wanted to report harassment on Home, to which the self admitted Conrad_Max responded just one word

Reported.

That was It!! Nothing more, Nothing less.  After other members of the community pointed out his lack of sensitivity to this persons issues, he went back and edited his post NOT ONCE but several times AGAIN something he admitted himself.

Now it may be "our duty to report offenders" BUT its also our duty to welcome new users and not have them feel like we are just a bunch of bullies on the forums.  It was never about the person getting in trouble, its about people pouncing on new members that may not know the rules and reporting them without giving them a glimpse of a fighting chance to correct their behavior, and for what? 

WELCOMING should always be the first thing to do, followed by some sound advise.  You don't REPORT, GIVE ADVISE, THEN WELCOME because at that point the impression we would leave will be very discouraging to members who come to seek help on the forums.  Some of my fellow forum members put it best:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

The user could have simply been asked to remove the offending names. The user did not need to be told they were reported even if the report inappropriate content link were hit.

Moderation would have simply came to remove the offending names had the user not removed them.

ALEXELWAY wrote:

I always try to let users of forums I use often know if they are violating the ToS in a polite manner as I would hate to lose a new forum member who may be a great person and just didn't read all of the ToS (I've done it before in the past due to not reading all of them on different forums).

Message 41 of 54 (542 Views)
VP of Gaming
28376 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

... Conrad_Max responded just one word

Reported.

That was It!!

Actually, you're wrong. I had a whole post about why it's not a good idea to blacklist people and instructions on how to report those who are being bad.

I did remove the word "Reported" to calm everyone down, but that proved to be unsuccessful.

Elitist Users Reporting New Users - ( ‎2013-04-21 09:18 PM )

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 42 of 54 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 22, 2013

johngie wrote:
Haha this is from Home, that's why I recognize NO ONE AT ALL.

Anyways, the way I look at it is that every user is a threat to my Fender Bender title, and inevitable dominance of this forum. So I report everyone. Especially the newbies. Gotta smother em while they're still in the crib, ya know?

It's a jungle our there baby. Survival of the fittest.

Yeah, keep them at Cannon Fodder, right?Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

Moble

Message 43 of 54 (151 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3752 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

... Conrad_Max responded just one word

Reported.

That was It!!

Actually, you're wrong. I had a whole post about why it's not a good idea to blacklist people and instructions on how to report those who are being bad.

I did remove the word "Reported" to calm everyone down, but that proved to be unsuccessful.

Elitist Users Reporting New Users - ( ‎2013-04-21 09:18 PM )

Stop playing the victim here, the only victim was the poor soul looking for help and instead getting reported and again its not about getting in trouble either.  Its about showing someone some kindness in their time of need.  Thats all!  All to often I have seen you on the forums scolding others for teasing new comers only to find you doing the same but WORSE.  It wouldnt surprise me one bit if they never came back for help (I know I wouldnt). 

You can make it about you but it isnt, had this been someone else I would be saying the exact same thing to them as I am telling you.  I genuinely felt bad for this person, Seriously.  Now its time to move on and lets learn from this to be nice to others and offer a helping hand in their time of need.

Message 44 of 54 (142 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

REPORTED. Every single one of you! Smiley Wink

Message 45 of 54 (139 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Apr 22, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

johngie wrote:

Anyways, the way I look at it is that every user is a threat to my Fender Bender title, and inevitable dominance of this forum. So I report everyone. Especially the newbies. Gotta smother em while they're still in the crib, ya know?

Moble

Comic Sans FTW! Sarcasm font is catching on! 

Message 46 of 54 (138 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 22, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

johngie wrote:

Moble

Comic Sans FTW! Sarcasm font is catching on! 

I have noticed it helps to clear up when you are kidding.  Text is hard to read sarcasm through, unless you know the person who is writing it.

johngie knows exactly what I am talking about.Smiley LOL

Yet further proof, sensible people can work things out as well.  I can see the direction of this Thread went awry.  I am sure at the end of the day most people Will sort out their issues.Smiley Wink

Lets all get along in the Community Forums.  It makes it more enjoyable.Smiley Happy

Not to say we cannot have fun as well.Smiley LOL

Moble

Message 47 of 54 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Apr 22, 2013

TSUNADE1224 wrote:

@ DVM-501, lauranichole25, BRIT-KO, Lil_The_Pill

People choose to overlook what they want to overlook and such Is the case here, its not about anyone persons character but their actions on the forums.  In the first thread the member wanted to report harassment on Home, to which the self admitted Conrad_Max responded just one word

Reported.

That was It!! Nothing more, Nothing less.  After other members of the community pointed out his lack of sensitivity to this persons issues, he went back and edited his post NOT ONCE but several times AGAIN something he admitted himself.

Now it may be "our duty to report offenders" BUT its also our duty to welcome new users and not have them feel like we are just a bunch of bullies on the forums.  It was never about the person getting in trouble, its about people pouncing on new members that may not know the rules and reporting them without giving them a glimpse of a fighting chance to correct their behavior, and for what? 

WELCOMING should always be the first thing to do, followed by some sound advise.  You don't REPORT, GIVE ADVISE, THEN WELCOME because at that point the impression we would leave will be very discouraging to members who come to seek help on the forums.  Some of my fellow forum members put it best:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

The user could have simply been asked to remove the offending names. The user did not need to be told they were reported even if the report inappropriate content link were hit.

Moderation would have simply came to remove the offending names had the user not removed them.

ALEXELWAY wrote:

I always try to let users of forums I use often know if they are violating the ToS in a polite manner as I would hate to lose a new forum member who may be a great person and just didn't read all of the ToS (I've done it before in the past due to not reading all of them on different forums).

This is not really something that I wanted to get involved with, as it's basically blacklisting itself. This is why I chose to discuss the topic of reporting posts in general, and only made one statement addressing this issue in my previous post:

Now, I do disagree with the approach of making a public post that the post has been reported. It seems a bit too showy to me. A post containing offending content should be reported to the Mods, then simply left at that. Let the Mods handle everything else.

The majority of this thread is nothing more than an attack on Conrad. I don't care if I agree or disagree with Conrad's methods, to publicly attack and gang up on him for his post is seriously wrong, and also completely contrary to what everyone in this thread is saying. People want Conrad to be nicer, more welcoming, help guide the user rather then shut him down. But then this thread turns around and does the exact opposite to Conrad.

Now, don't get me wrong, at no point am I defending or condoning his actions. But I most certainly don't condone an attack on him for those actions either.

Message 48 of 54 (111 Views)
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Apr 22, 2013

topic moved from the Home forum btw, since no mod mentioned it.

Message 49 of 54 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Apr 22, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

topic moved from the Home forum btw, since no mod mentioned it.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Elitist-Users-Reporting-New-Users/m-p/4...

It's really easy to miss since it's a small post, sandwiched between a couple of larger posts.

Message 50 of 54 (106 Views)
0 Likes