PlayStation MVP
2272 posts

Re: Edward Snowden - Hero or Villain?

Jun 30, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

TheJLC wrote:
Personally I don't see him as neither as all he did was leak secret information that everyone already knew. It was widely known that the NSA spies on everyone as that's their main job since its creation. Spying, tracking foreign and domestic information is pretty much the description of the agency.

The problem here is that he leaked information that he wasn't supposed to. He didn't blow any whistles as everyone including most foreign governments know that the NSA has been spying and attacking their computers and communication devices. The only thing they lacked is proof, which isn't going to change anything.

It's like me breaking into the FBI HQ and stealing all their sealed documents to tell the world that the FBI investigates crimes potentially committed by US citizens. Am I being a hero? Nope.

The only thing he really did was wake up the people who have ignored the title of that agency and realize that everything they do on the internet and on the phone is not private, which has been true for years.

When it comes to the constitutionality of it, it really depends on how they do it and what is the purpose. As far as everyone knows, everything the NSA is doing is completely legal. National security as shown previously, limits many of the constitutional rights we have and the NSA has been protected for decades via legislation.

So, if anything he should do the time for the crime which he committed. He didn't whistleblow on anything that wasn't already public information. He just leaked the name of the program, the nations targeted, and who is cooperating with the government which only makes the job of the agency harder, but not illegal. Now, is he a villain, no. He's just someone who broke the law.

Spying on foreign intelligence agencies is normal but to spy on your own citizens reminds me of East Germany. It's unnecesary. What the NSA is doing is recording, storing, filtering and creating portfolios on every U.S national on American soil for future use should the need arise. For example, if you happen to be targeted and put on a list for whatever reason, they can simply pull up your file and attack anything you said.

He did break the law but I feel it was in the public's best interest to at least know what is going on.

The CIA spies on foreign intelligence agencies as the spy agency they are, while the NSA spies on everyone as the information intelligence agency they are. They are resposible for intelligence on foreign and domestic threats. The CIA has been the cloak and dagger of the US, while the NSA has been the eyes and ears for the US for years now.

Although it does seem like east germany, this agency did the same thing during the cold war on US and foreign citizens with the ECHELON program. 

mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 28 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Not to mention the work that Sam Fisher does for the NSA. He stabs Mercs like they were french fries and he doesn't call the press to brag about his job.

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 28 (87 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Jun 30, 2013
I think hes neither hes done a fgood thing bit hes being a coward and running from the result.
.................!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 28 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2532 posts

Jun 30, 2013
#TeamEdward
Photobucket

Monthly Subscription for Online Multiplayer is an Xbox Policy

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 28 (66 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Jun 30, 2013
I know u mean Snowden but i gotta say #TeamcarthatalmostranoverBella.
.................!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 28 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
666 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

I agree with what he did.

I'm not one of those "America is evil conspiracy theorists" but I am also not one of those "Murica is the greatest country in the world" types either. I just call it like I see it. Our government was wrong in this instance and I think its garbage he is being labeled as stuff like a traitor and all of that when he didnt sell the info to other countries he just made it public to everyone. All he did was give our government a dose of its own medicine in retrospect

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 28 (44 Views)
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:

I agree with what he did.

I'm not one of those "America is evil conspiracy theorists" but I am also not one of those "Murica is the greatest country in the world" types either. I just call it like I see it. Our government was wrong in this instance and I think its garbage he is being labeled as stuff like a traitor and all of that when he didnt sell the info to other countries he just made it public to everyone. All he did was give our government a dose of its own medicine in retrospect

The other thing is that if he's telling the truth about what kind of access he had while working there, he could have easily leaked anything from nuclear missile locations and launch codes to info on the early warning anti missile systems, the real Middle East agenda which if you ask me, after they are finished with Syria, Lebanon will be next, and countless other extremely sensitive subjects.

I think this whole situation could have been much worse if Edward Snowden wanted it to be.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 28 (36 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Which brings me to my view on whistleblowers and Wikileaks. I don't feel that they are out to attack and cause damage to whomever they release files on. They also don't advertise or compensate anyone who sends them classified information. This is all done by the will of the person who leaks. There is the risk they could be jailed for life or even made to disappear.

If you look at the Iraq/Afgan war files released you'll see that the military was lying about how things were really going over there and the abuses of civilians, and prisoners. There are rules even in war and they need to be upheld and maintained at all times. Those videos released were sickening and shameful. I remember being really mad the first time I watched them. I had a serious hate on for the military.

What I'm trying to say is that the government, big corporations, military, religous figures, etc need to follow the rules just like everyone else and should be exposed and punished when they aren't. Especially with the government, there needs to be transparency and trust with the people. Sometimes I think they forget that we greatly outnumber them lol. :smileyhappy:

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 28 (34 Views)
0 Likes