Highlighted
Jun 30 2013
By: W1Z4RDRY I Only Post Everything 891 posts

Edward Snowden - Hero or Villain?

27 replies 144 views Edited Jun 30, 2013

I just finished watching his interview and several hours of news discussions from various news stations. I think he's a hero personally. It's a good thing he came out and revealed this program to the world. I'm not American but doesn't this take a pee all over your constitution? Sadly it doesn't seem like the program will stop and there's no choice but to accept it. My fear is that other countries will try to pull a stunt like this and it will become a common practise. The new standard.

There is 1 group that wants to attack America and we all know exactly what parameters they fall into. There is no need to track every citizen in order to find and monitor potential threats to America. The CIA-NSA should know what the profile is and monitor only those they suspect and have sufficient evidence on after getting a warrant. There needs to be a line drawn. There also needs to be counter-measures in place to ensure that America isn't monitoring outside countries without permission.

On the other side of things I'm also glad that this happened because now I feel vindicated for years of telling people that Big Brother exists and that the U.S spies on it's own citizens and foreign countries with no oversight, it is actually proven. So now all the non-believers who thought we were crazy can just soak it up and maybe open their minds a little to the rest of the CIA's activities from the past. How the CIA can still legally operate today is just beyond me but thats another story.

I enjoyed an interview with President Putin on Russia Today when asked about the NSA he replied it's nothing they didn't already know about.

So what do you think about Edward Snowden? Like I said I consider him a hero and many do while just as many call him a traitor. Infact most news agencies, the propagandist ones like MSNBC and Fox like to swap whistleblower out for traitor.

Microsoft is playing a large part in this program as Hotmail and Skype were mentioned and you can darn well bet that the mandatory Kinect on Xbox One is helping the NSA too.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 1 of 28 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: Edward Snowden - Hero or Villain?

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

He is worse than CFWJudge

PS. I didnt read any of this or do I intend to do so. I just love your HN avatar

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 28 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Jun 30, 2013
He agreed to do a job and keep it secret. Then he leaked it plus secret documents to a foreign journalist. Not good even if it sparked some public debate.

Message 3 of 28 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13132 posts

Jun 30, 2013
An article explaining who this guy is would be nice. Now I have to google.

inb4bing
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 4 of 28 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
86 posts

Jun 30, 2013

DELTA_TEAM_LEADR wrote:
He agreed to do a job and keep it secret. Then he leaked it plus secret documents to a foreign journalist. Not good even if it sparked some public debate.

The question is, what is more moral? 

Staying silent when someone is doing something arguably immoral because you agreed to a job, possibly before you realized the extent of what you are doing?

Or

Speaking out against something immoral, despite the fact that you will have to do so in a shady or possibly fradulent way?

If we just look at it from the perspective of "He agreed to keep a secret, ergo he did something immoral" Then by that logic, we can never question anyone in a position of authority which is an unscholarly way of thinking.

My name is Cain and I am now Unable.
Message 5 of 28 (112 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 30, 2013

DELTA_TEAM_LEADR wrote:

I disagree with that.

And its not about public debate.... any smart person, knows that the NSA has been doing this since the internet came into being.

This comes on the heels of the fact that we almost have ZERO privacy when online. 

Not to mention the NSA's new Utah facility that costs $2billion to build, and around to $200million/yr in operating costs.... all from tax-payer money. 

I'll be LMAO when that facility has a security breach, and not of the digital type.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 6 of 28 (108 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jun 30, 2013

So here's the thing PRISM is a bad program all around, that goes without being said. When the information was released he was absolutely a hero to many people. The issue comes when he travels to China or Russia with secret information and even possibly Venezuela (a very vocal anti-American country). So my conclusion is y es, he did right by informing the population of this information, however seeking refuge in the locations he chose to make him a questionable person.

Raptr Gamercard
Message 7 of 28 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I saw the words NSA

FiveFourteen
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 8 of 28 (100 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

Hmmm NSA videos? How about this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SegAoSpHJck

Raptr Gamercard
Message 9 of 28 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Shaggster0920 wrote:

Hmmm NSA videos? How about this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SegAoSpHJck

no

FiveFourteen
Message 10 of 28 (91 Views)
0 Likes