Nov 24 2013
By: younginflavor18 MVP Support 14371 posts

Does using a walkthorugh help you in some sort of way, or are you more of a playthrough person?

14 replies 133 views Edited Nov 24, 2013

Ever since video games has changed in the gaming community, we have game walkthrough websites, physical and digital game guides, and YouTube videos by other gamers covering 100 percent of a game they're playing to unlock every secret that is available.

Does it help you in any sort of way such as watching a video gaining tips on how to beat a boss easily by watching the player in video on how they do it? Does it help you in finding collectibles that you may have missed if you have played a single-player campaign when you started a new game for the first time? Does it help you in unlocking hidden and harder Trophy and Achievements in certain games?

For the people who don't bother with using walkthroughs, are you simply interested in playing a video game for the pure enjoyment and not bothered with walkthroughs? Do you simply move on to another game, or go back and play the last one on a higher difficulty setting for a greater challenge that offers you more unlockables when completing them?

I believe using video game walkthroughs can be beneficial to me because I see myself as completionist and want unlock everything by meeting every criteria to reach 100% in order to learn about the games' easter eggs and secrets.

Does it help you in any sort of way from your own view?

forumsignature1.png
Playstation Telephone Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm PST (Closed on Saturdays & Sundays)
Customer Service - 1-800-345-7669
Account and Billing Support - 1-877-971-7669
Sony Rewards - 1-888-715-7669
Message 1 of 15 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
5454 posts

Re: Does using a walkthorugh help you in some sort of way, or are you more of a playthrough person?

Nov 24, 2013

I never buy walkthroughs or anything like that, I like to play through the game on my own. I will however look online for some help if I truly am really stuck at a certain part of a game that I'm enjoying.

There's nothing worse than getting really into a game then getting stuck at a bit you just can't figure out or get past on your own. Smiley Sad

x__Vee__x's Streambadge

Message 2 of 15 (125 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6980 posts

Re: Does using a walkthorugh help you in some sort of way, or are you more of a playthrough person?

Nov 24, 2013

I only watch walkthroughs for games I don't own/plan on owning, I may watch a video that gives hints or strategies to get pass something difficult though I'm kind of arrogant and like to figure out myself.

Only games I replay are games where you can have different experiences like rpgs like Deus Ex: HR, Mass Effect, Kingdoms of Amalur or open world games like GTA V or Just Cause 2. Games I'll play that aren't like the games I mentioned have to be games with nostalgia in them.

JayJay 2515 signature

2 time Face of The WWE Champion
Message 3 of 15 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Nov 24, 2013

For trophy hunting yes. If game devs insist on putting pointless "go find "X" amount of "Y" types of trophies, i'm not going to spend hours hunting for small objects stuck in off the wall places. ( looking at you assassin's creed) Some of them even acknowledge this by naming the trophy for obtaining all the items something like: "Got walkthrough?" 

Other than that, games just aren't hard these days and are pretty easily beaten without outside help.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 4 of 15 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5616 posts

Nov 24, 2013
I usually play the game thru and if im totally stuck on something for say countless hours, then id try and look it up.
Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Lesuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

Loved by few, Hated by many, Respected by All!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Message 5 of 15 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6935 posts

Nov 24, 2013

I use walkthroughs to get trophies since it would be almost impossible for me to achieve 100% without any help. There are moments where I'm stuck in an area in which I can't get past by so there are times when I have to search for videos.

Message 6 of 15 (87 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
31185 posts

Nov 24, 2013
I do for trophy hunting, especially if the game has collectibles or missable trophies tied to specific chapters/parts. I always look for the walkthrough first but if there isn't one, I just jump into the game head on. I recently platinumed Ratchet and Clank: Into The Nexus without a walkthrough and got about halfway through Knack without one.
Message 7 of 15 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6935 posts

Nov 24, 2013

I'll admit though there was one game where I saw a playthough for 3 hours before I played. That game was Heavy Rain uploaded by darksydephil. I couldn't stop watching because he was hilarious and not only that, he convinced me to go buy the game.

Message 8 of 15 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4576 posts

Nov 24, 2013

Yes. Escpislly for collectibles.

powerpyx FTW! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 15 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
778 posts

Nov 24, 2013

Only for trophies.

Follow me!
Twitter Twitch
Message 10 of 15 (50 Views)
0 Likes