Keyblade Wielder
10134 posts

Re: Does a game need to have multiplayer...

Nov 27, 2012
I on the other hand like the chatter in multiplayer. I think those games are better when social. If you take that away, many of these multiplayer games die out right away because there is no active community.

While everybody wants cross game chat, they should really be careful what they wish for. I think it is the single worst part of Xbox Live other than the subscription fee. Unless you are playing with friends at that moment, everything is very silent. It's also frustrating trying to encourage teamwork when your team mates are all in their own party or talking to somebody in some other game. A game like MAG wouldn't even be possible if there was a cross game/party chat feature.

The last thing people need to realize is, if private chats did exist, most people you are currently friends with, you never would have met in the first place. I like PSN because it is a team based experience. Start giving people private chat options and it becomes a lame private social network and unless you are playing COD, the communities die rather fast because nobody gets a chance to meet anybody as either friends or good friendly competition.
Message 11 of 17 (94 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42141 posts

Nov 27, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

I just can't stand all the chatter when playing multiplayer. And everyone wants cross game chat? I can't stand to hear you in game. Why would I want to hear you when you're playing a different game?

This is something I don't understand myself.  When I'm playing the single player portion of a game, I like to be solely engulfed in that with no distractions.  If you're playing a different game entirely, why bother?  I can understand if you want to talk to a friend about your day and what not but I'd rather do that outside of gaming or during MP itself (over the in game chatter cause MP is filled with a bunch of clowns anyways but with mic mute, it kind of still puts the option at odds).

Meh, different mindsets.  Cross game chat has never been a big option for me.  I've been over to my cousin's place who has a 360 and just hearing all the chatter over party chat or whatever the hell it's called when he's just on the dashboard leaves me asking why people would want this Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 17 (91 Views)
Survivor
2374 posts

Nov 27, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

I just can't stand all the chatter when playing multiplayer. And everyone wants cross game chat? I can't stand to hear you in game. Why would I want to hear you when you're playing a different game?

This is something I don't understand myself.  When I'm playing the single player portion of a game, I like to be solely engulfed in that with no distractions.  If you're playing a different game entirely, why bother?  I can understand if you want to talk to a friend about your day and what not but I'd rather do that outside of gaming or during MP itself (over the in game chatter cause MP is filled with a bunch of clowns anyways but with mic mute, it kind of still puts the option at odds).

Meh, different mindsets.  Cross game chat has never been a big option for me.  I've been over to my cousin's place who has a 360 and just hearing all the chatter over party chat or whatever the hell it's called when he's just on the dashboard leaves me asking why people would want this Smiley Very Happy

Well, the idea is for your decide when to or not to accept chat requests. So, the option of being able to talk to your friend when you are bored, or for whatever reason, is what people are asking for. I don't think anyone is asking for the implementation of something forced where you have to chat with your friends across games.

So, some people like chatting with many people at once, while others would probably just use it to chat to a friend or two while doing something else, or maybe not use it at all.

Message 13 of 17 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42141 posts

Nov 27, 2012

TheJLC wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

Well, the idea is for your decide when to or not to accept chat requests. So, the option of being able to talk to your friend when you are bored, or for whatever reason, is what people are asking for. I don't think anyone is asking for the implementation of something forced where you have to chat with your friends across games.

So, some people like chatting with many people at once, while others would probably just use it to chat to a friend or two while doing something else, or maybe not use it at all.

I know it's an option/choice.  It just seems that every time my cousin signs on to Live, he's already in a chat/party or whatever and the voices come flooding in.  His settings most likely.

Also don't want to deal with the messages coming up asking for me to join them.  I had notifications turned off on my PS3 so I never knew when someone sent me a message either (or when someone signed on/off) cause I'd rather do without all the distractions in a game.  But yeah, I probably fall into the category of someone who wouldn't use it at all.

Message 14 of 17 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Nov 27, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

In order to have a place on these forums?

I don't think so, there's a place just for Heavy Rain here, right?

Message 15 of 17 (79 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12485 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

I wasn't arguing for mp but a section for hack-and-slash games like Dynasty Warriors.

A video game does not need to have a multiplayer component in order to have its own section here in the PlayStation Community Forums. There are some interesting examples floating around right now but I don't think very many new sections will be added at this point in time. With that being said, hack and slash video games can go into the Action/Adventure General section while fighting games can go into the Fighting General section.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 16 of 17 (78 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Nov 27, 2012

SweetPoison13 wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

I wasn't arguing for mp but a section for hack-and-slash games like Dynasty Warriors.

A video game does not need to have a multiplayer component in order to have its own section here in the PlayStation Community Forums. There are some interesting examples floating around right now but I don't think very many new sections will be added at this point in time. With that being said, hack and slash video games can go into the Action/Adventure General section while fighting games can go into the Fighting General section.

Well said

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 17 of 17 (59 Views)
0 Likes