Uncharted Territory
1761 posts

Re: Do you think Microsoft will come out with a handheld?

Jan 9, 2013

I remember the japanese back when Resident Evil 2 I think it is come out. They made videos of going through it with tofu and only a knife with no saves. I do not think it is to complicated. I just do not think it has what they want. Sony needs to listen and do instead of listen and  ignore.

Message 11 of 17 (92 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jan 9, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

MS has unlimited money. That is the only reason they bothered with the 360 as the first Xbox was a total loss. Any other company would have closed it's doors on consoles and gave up.

I don't want to sound like a fanatic but Nintendo rules the handheld market and have since 1989 or 90, whenever the Game Boy came out. Handheld gaming is massive in Japan so Japanese developers will always support Nintendo's latest because it never fails.

Sure wish some more of that love would head over to the Vita though Smiley Wink

Is the Vita too complicated for Japan's taste?

I don't think it's too complicated but there are several factors that could possibly contribute. The major thing is the economy. Everyone is trying to cut costs and achieve maximum profits which is normal in any situation but more important when the economy is weak. Japan got hit with that tsunami in early 2011 which caused work stoppages across the country, I know several game companies had to delay projects and so forth. That was 2 years ago so maybe it's not a major factor.

Japan's games industry just isn't what it used to be. A lot of big name publishers are outsourcing their franchises because it's cheaper than paying their main team(s) to make games. SquareEnix has gone into publishing and mobile games. Final Fantasy 14 almost destroyed the company. No one wants to take big risks anymore and will only follow the path where chance of profit is the most realistic. In this case it's the 3DS right now.

For the 25th anniversary of Megaman Capcom decided to have a programmer from Malaysia create an 8-bit Megaman x Street Fighter game for the PC of all effing platforms and free to boot!

The industry is changing in a big way and Japan doesn't know how to deal with it......yet. That's just my feelings based on the news articles I read and stuff.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 12 of 17 (91 Views)
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Sorry I forgot to add that another issue could be that the Vita is more expensive to develop for which is also a factor in the economic scheme of things. Tech + manpower + dev time.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 13 of 17 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1761 posts

Jan 9, 2013

I agree JuanMdP money is the rulling factor in almost all things now. People come second. Sometimes it is a shame.

Message 14 of 17 (88 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12886 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Someone interviewed Microsoft a while back, when the Vita was announced, and Microsoft made it quite clear that they weren't interested in the handheld gaming market. If I remember correctly they said something about Sony and Nintendo already having a firm spot in that market
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 15 of 17 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jan 9, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:
Someone interviewed Microsoft a while back, when the Vita was announced, and Microsoft made it quite clear that they weren't interested in the handheld gaming market. If I remember correctly they said something about Sony and Nintendo already having a firm spot in that market

The interviewer was IGN I think

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 16 of 17 (66 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
4145 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Moved from the PS Vita section. Man Wink

space_cape!!

Message 17 of 17 (61 Views)
0 Likes