Highlighted
Apr 25 2013
By: GrayGargoyle Last Guardian 11752 posts

Do third-parties stand a chance on Nintendo platforms?

2 replies 49 views Edited Apr 25, 2013

As of late especially, I've been thinking about the Nintendo 3DS. Owning the handheld for more than a year now, in all that time not once have I purchased a game from a third-party, which is a little surprising. Not until now has that changed, as the other day I decided to finally pony up the dough for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. But looking over the course of the months ahead, what else is there to buy on the 3DS other than Nintendo games? Out of all the games I wish to own for the device, not one third-party game comes to mind.

Then again, there hasn't really been much of a strong push for third-party content on the 3DS since its launch. Aside from last year's Resident Evil: Revelations or even Theatrhythm itself, has there been many standout third-party titles hitting the 3DS? Besides everything from Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, it's hard to pinpoint games on the 3DS that aren't bathed in Nintendo font.

There was of course the updated port for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and then there's the newest Castlevania out there, but mostly Nintendo games are what come to mind when thinking about Nintendo platforms. This has been going on for generations, although it can be said there's also been strong cases where third-parties have made it in Nintendo areas. When thinking about the original Contra, when Chrono Trigger or Mortal Kombat come to mind, or how Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was a big deal on the Nintendo 64, we know Nintendo's not always the only one hogging up space. With Wii U sales having been sluggish and an abundance of Nintendo properties on the way to its handheld, it's hard to look past all the Marios and Links as of late to find out what else might help sustain Nintendo's livelihood.

Message 1 of 3 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
562 posts

Re: Do third-parties stand a chance on Nintendo platforms?

Apr 25, 2013
3DS is getting Monster Hunter 4, now that is the reason why it's keep going
Message 2 of 3 (47 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10149 posts

Re: Do third-parties stand a chance on Nintendo platforms?

Apr 25, 2013
I think they may have some good 3rd party titles, What about Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (I am still hoping they release that for console, I mean they are making all the other ones for PS3. (IN HD collections)) The only game I buy for the 3DS was the Rune Factory games and a Harvest Moon game. Other then that I havn`t bought any game for the 3DS. (All the rest I got from Nintendo`s Ambassador program, the program they made to make up for dropping the price by $100 within a month of it`s release.)

Nintendo does have some good 3rd party, but you may be right that they have many 1st party titles. Although I have to say I havn`t even used my 3DS in over a year, I much perfer sony, and console gaming.

Message 3 of 3 (46 Views)
0 Likes