Highlighted
Jan 10 2013
By: samuraix98 Lombax Warrior 195 posts

Django Review - Typical Wonderful Tarantino

[ Edited ]
7 replies 448 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

*spoiler* Possibly but covering my bearings - 

It seems Tarantino has been up to his usual trickery. Truly I didn't take Django nor do I take his movies as seriously as they where once taken like, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs were definitely his two best in my opinion. Both serious, gritty, naughty noir style flicks. Then the fame hit after Pulp Fiction, which I do enjoy, just doesn't hit all my buttons like Reservoir Dogs did.

Hence I also expected nothing less from far fetched after Kill Bill, he's been doing his "western" thing. Seems to work for him. You've got a samurai western, then a car chasing movie in the open plains, sort of western, then a Nazi western and now a western oozing with slavery. This is definitely a great movie, fun to watch and hilarious too boot. After finally seeing it I began to make many connections to Inglorious **bleep** right from the get go. Besides staring the always magnificent Christopher Waltz the two films have the same edge. A guy trying to get by/or doing his job (Django the slave/Brad Pitt the Nazi killer.) Both groups of people are out after the main bad guy for some reason or another, here being that the main bad being a slaver whose taken Djangos lovely wife and Inglorious **bleep** being that well the main bad guy tried to obliterate a whole race of people, Hitler. In the end both parties triumph yet not with out some or most of the parties dieing. All in all both great plots and wonderfully directed. Just began to see far too many connections from his previous film. 

I did have some discrepancies mid film to which I was awed about yet not that amazed. The random rap/hip hop music intervened. Truly I would have been more than happy with the original score to flow unanimously through the entire film instead of the wacky rap but it also didn't surprise me either, Tarantino gets goofy and that sure did it for him. I will say that he's got a great team of cinematographers and editors cause his sometimes choppy stories and plot lines get dulled when you get to see the fluid scenery and well done cuts he makes through out his movies. 

All in all Great Movie.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 1 of 8 (448 Views)
Last Guardian
8969 posts

Re: Django Review - Typical Wonderful Tarantino

Jan 10, 2013

Spoilers? *Puts fingers in my ears* Lalalalala! 

The movie will be in theaters 18th day this month here. Smiley Mad 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 2 of 8 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13545 posts

Jan 10, 2013

I've heard good things about the movie. We may try to see it this weekend. Tarantino is one of my favorite directors. Inglorious Basterds is a great movie so I'm expecting nothing less from Django Unchained.

Message 3 of 8 (437 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Jan 10, 2013
Django might be my favorite Tarantino movie now. It's tied with Pulp Fiction. The tiebreaker might be a slave shooting racists and slave owners. How can I not love that?
Message 4 of 8 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
8969 posts

Jan 16, 2013

Finally saw it. It was quite entertaining but *SPOILER! don't read if you haven't seen the movie*

Spoiler
not sure if the last act was necessary where it escalates Tarantino style and our hero Siegfried becomes a ruthless mass murderer and saves his princess. The movie took an unexpected turn when Christoph Waltz shoots Leonardo Dicaprio. I feel thats the point where everything goes wrong, but maybe that's just me. I was almost expecting Waltz to pick a wanted poster of Dicaprio in his pocket and walk away. Smiley LOL All in all Django Unchained is an entertaining movie with good humor and shouldn't be taken too seriously. 4/5

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 5 of 8 (402 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4920 posts

Jan 16, 2013

ID-69 wrote:

Finally saw it. It was quite entertaining but *SPOILER! don't read if you haven't seen the movie*

Spoiler
not sure if the last act was necessary where it escalates Tarantino style and our hero Siegfried becomes a ruthless mass murderer and saves his princess. The movie took an unexpected turn when Christoph Waltz shoots Leonardo Dicaprio. I feel thats the point where everything goes wrong, but maybe that's just me. I was almost expecting Waltz to pick a wanted poster of Dicaprio in his pocket and walk away. Smiley LOL All in all Django Unchained is an entertaining movie with good humor and shouldn't be taken too seriously. 4/5

It's a tarantino movie. It has to go out with a bang!

Message 6 of 8 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 16, 2013

Tarentino began to lose me with Pulp Fiction (PF).  I think the movie could have done without the Uma Therman and especially the John Travolta Solo scenes.

I know, I know, those are some (still faithful) Tarentino Fans' favorite parts of PF.  Still, the acting got WAY too cheesy in those parts.  As well, I really could have done without Willis' annoying girlfriend.  She ranked up there with Rosy Perez on the annoying voice scale.

Still, I did enjoy Jackie Brown, From Dusk Till Dawn (Selma Hiak - OUCHSmiley Wink), and even loved Death Proof.  

It just seems Tarentino gets caught up in the dialogs too much sometimes.  Never watched Kill Bill 1 or 2.  I do not enjoy, nor do I think it is any good, Uma Therman's acting.  She is the pitts.  Also, I was never a David Carradine fan.  I have not had the opportunity to see Inglorious, although I would watch it.

I will probably not see Django Unchained.  In my opinion, Tarentino was better when he was Indie.  Reservoir Dogs will always remain one of my favorite films.

There is a difference between being hip, and trying too hard to remain hip.  

On a more positive note; I have always, whether I liked the movie or not, enjoyed Tarentino's music selection.  I believe this is an area where he always excels.  He has the knack for finding the obscure and forgotten sounds that bring his scenes to life.  Stuck in the Middle With You, always gets cranked on whatever I am listening too, to this day.

Like I said, these are my opinions only.  I don't doubt that Django is a good movie, just not one that I would see on purpose.

Guy Richie is another Tarentino esque director/writer who I can take or leave, depending on the plot.  I think Sherlock Holmes is saving his but right now.  Although, I do enjoy his dialogue interchanges much more than Tarentino's.

Search Desert Eagle Vs.. Replica On You Tube.  I cannot post it here, it has graphic language, but it is one of the best scenes in a movie do date.

Moble

Message 7 of 8 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Feb 22, 2013
Guy Richie is a wonderful director and writer. I'd easily agree that if we're picking indie directors head to head I'd pick Richie over Tarentino just for his richness of characters and way of intermingling everyones different stories in to one welcoming flick. Yes Richie like all directors do other movies Sherlock Holmes and even that the first one he was able to spin it his way. The second I'd say got away from him but hey they need money and the make movies like that on top of always having to be able to better themselves against their previous indie films. Snatch is and will be one of my favorite movies. Like Jackie Brown its a cult flick and doesn't do more than its needed because of its reach in audience.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Message 8 of 8 (376 Views)