May 02 2007
By: skiproofpoof Fender Bender 3045 posts

Digg explanation

4 replies 1 views Edited May 2, 2007
mods please dont delete, people want to know what happened, and i wont post the number

digg deleted stories containing a number used to crack hd-dvds. People were pissed they were deleting the whole story instead of just censoring the article. When it was found out that HD-dvd was paying digg, digg users revolted and covered the page with madeup articles containing the number. Other users then started digging any article with this number causing a mini rebellion on  their site. Later, kevin rose posted on his blog

"Today was an insane day. And as the founder of Digg, I just wanted to post my thoughts…

In building and shaping the site I’ve always tried to stay as hands on as possible. We’ve always given site moderation (digging/burying) power to the community. Occasionally we step in to remove stories that violate our terms of use (eg. linking to **bleep**ography, illegal downloads, racial hate sites, etc.). So today was a difficult day for us. We had to decide whether to remove stories containing a single code based on a cease and desist declaration. We had to make a call, and in our desire to avoid a scenario where Digg would be interrupted or shut down, we decided to comply and remove the stories with the code.

But now, after seeing hundreds of stories and reading thousands of comments, you’ve made it clear. You’d rather see Digg go down fighting than bow down to a bigger company. We hear you, and effective immediately we won’t delete stories or comments containing the code and will deal with whatever the consequences might be.

If we lose, then what the hell, at least we died trying.

Digg on,

Kevin"

http://diggtheblog.com/

as of for my personal opinion, i think this is awsome and a great example of the people against drm. IF I WANT MY RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE ON CD'S ILL GET MY RAGE ON MY CD'S!!!!!

Message Edited by skiproofpoof on 05-01-2007 11:20 PM

Message Edited by skiproofpoof on 05-01-2007 11:30 PM
Message 4 of 5 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
554 posts

Re: Digg explanation

May 2, 2007
Thanks for explanation. I was seeing all of these digg threads and didn't know what was goin on. That's funny.
PSN ID: M_Soulja/TheDude_

Message 1 of 5 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5928 posts

May 2, 2007
I have no remorse for the site being down, they were given the cease and desist, they defied it. 
Message 2 of 5 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15052 posts

May 2, 2007

501st_Legion wrote:
I have no remorse for the site being down, they were given the cease and desist, they defied it. 

It's not down right now. Anyway all they need to do is put somewhere on the site that says "We are not responsible or endorse the articles posted on this website" then they can't be held responsible.
Tired of run of the mill Sega Forums? Join Sonic Blast with lots of discussion about Sega and Video Games.(Click the pics)

Message 3 of 5 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12488 posts

May 2, 2007
What is so important about this site anyway? Sounds too confusing to me.
Watch out! House is about ready to hit you with his cane...
Message 5 of 5 (1 View)
0 Likes