Reply
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/04/2003
Offline
7231 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

Personally I find it extremely tacky that the first thing people start talking about when things like this happen is how they want to keep their guns. Seriously? There are deceased children and devastated families whose lives will never be the same and the first thing you want to say is "don't take away my gun rights"?

 

This is another horrible tragedy and my heart is seriously broken for these families. I cannot imagine being the mom or dad getting that phone call from the police department.

 

But really people, show some respect for this situation and keep the gun talk where it belongs: on the NRA.org forums in private.

Message 31 of 154 (183 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/04/2003
Offline
7231 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

More cannon fodder for the anti-guns liberals. I would very much like to keep my firearms.


I was going to stay out of this topic b/c I knew there would be someone who'd instantly bypass all normal human sympathy for the horrible tragedy that occured and make it political. That someone is you.


Amen.

Message 32 of 154 (180 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/05/2010
Offline
13633 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

Personally I find it extremely tacky that the first thing people start talking about when things like this happen is how they want to keep their guns. Seriously? There are deceased children and devastated families whose lives will never be the same and the first thing you want to say is "don't take away my gun rights"?

 

This is another horrible tragedy and my heart is seriously broken for these families. I cannot imagine being the mom or dad getting that phone call from the police department.

 

But really people, show some respect for this situation and keep the gun talk where it belongs: on the NRA.org forums in private.


I can see why they do it; after all, many people will immediately call for gun bans after something like this (I have several on my FB that have...no mention of sorrow for the victims or families from at least one of them either, so don't go thinking its just one side) and ignore the fact that a gun ban does not keep people from being shot, and definitely does not stop tragedies like this from happening...just like making drugs illegal does not stop people from using them.

 

There are also many people that do not have much empathy, and, especially if this takes place far away from them, have a hard time relating to the incident. Others just have a hard time feeling for people they will never meet, and there are those who are thinking of what this means for themselves and their families. 

 

I feel for the people that are involved with this horror, and am glad no one I know is directly affected. But...I also do have to think what this can do to myself and my family and friends. I've already seen people falling back on the stupid "its all your fault video games!" argument, and, like I said, have seen too many people calling for gun bans. People do need to slow down and think, but there is also a time to actually discuss what can be done to prevent as much damage from the next attack (and yes, there will be more. Our society's "celebritization" of criminals is a huge problem, and causes other crazies to try to top the last psycho. This one will be no different)

 

 

I also hope I am reading you wrong; that you are not someone supporting overly-strick or an outright ban on guns. I hope that if it is true, you do know that instead of guns, it will be knives, homemade bombs or biological/chemical attacks that hit the next target...or illegal guns. Criminals do not care about the law; they will do anything they can to kill if they intend to. Forcing good people to have less-to-no protection is never a good thing...

One more thing: since gun ownership is protected under the second ammendment, and is a right that all of us can enjoy, it is not something that "belongs" just in private or on one forum; it is a public matter and if you do not wish to discuss it, you do not have to. 

Message 33 of 154 (168 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 02/03/2008
Offline
15342 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

More cannon fodder for the anti-guns liberals. I would very much like to keep my firearms.


I was going to stay out of this topic b/c I knew there would be someone who'd instantly bypass all normal human sympathy for the horrible tragedy that occured and make it political. That someone is you.


Amen.


Oh boy. I aploigize if my lack of an explicit declaration of sorrow offended you and I need to go beyond expressing my feelings tacitly, as everyone else has done. Yes, it's terrible that this happened but brooding over it on PSU won't make it better. I don't want to turn this into something out of nothing so I'll leave it at that.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum


Fabulous!
Message 34 of 154 (152 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/04/2003
Offline
7231 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

Personally I find it extremely tacky that the first thing people start talking about when things like this happen is how they want to keep their guns. Seriously? There are deceased children and devastated families whose lives will never be the same and the first thing you want to say is "don't take away my gun rights"?

 

This is another horrible tragedy and my heart is seriously broken for these families. I cannot imagine being the mom or dad getting that phone call from the police department.

 

But really people, show some respect for this situation and keep the gun talk where it belongs: on the NRA.org forums in private.


I can see why they do it; after all, many people will immediately call for gun bans after something like this (I have several on my FB that have...no mention of sorrow for the victims or families from at least one of them either, so don't go thinking its just one side) and ignore the fact that a gun ban does not keep people from being shot, and definitely does not stop tragedies like this from happening...just like making drugs illegal does not stop people from using them.

 

There are also many people that do not have much empathy, and, especially if this takes place far away from them, have a hard time relating to the incident. Others just have a hard time feeling for people they will never meet, and there are those who are thinking of what this means for themselves and their families. 

 

I feel for the people that are involved with this horror, and am glad no one I know is directly affected. But...I also do have to think what this can do to myself and my family and friends. I've already seen people falling back on the stupid "its all your fault video games!" argument, and, like I said, have seen too many people calling for gun bans. People do need to slow down and think, but there is also a time to actually discuss what can be done to prevent as much damage from the next attack (and yes, there will be more. Our society's "celebritization" of criminals is a huge problem, and causes other crazies to try to top the last psycho. This one will be no different)

 

 

I also hope I am reading you wrong; that you are not someone supporting overly-strick or an outright ban on guns. I hope that if it is true, you do know that instead of guns, it will be knives, homemade bombs or biological/chemical attacks that hit the next target...or illegal guns. Criminals do not care about the law; they will do anything they can to kill if they intend to. Forcing good people to have less-to-no protection is never a good thing...

One more thing: since gun ownership is protected under the second ammendment, and is a right that all of us can enjoy, it is not something that "belongs" just in private or on one forum; it is a public matter and if you do not wish to discuss it, you do not have to. 


I'm not calling for a ban of all guns, I'm saying that A) children should have limited exposure to weapons even in the form of toys. I can't tell you how many news articles I've read in the past year about toddlers picking up hand guns and shooting them. Yes, partially this is due to bad parenting and people not monitoring their children, but it's also partially due to the fact that we commercialize guns into toys which basically (in the minds of children) tells kids that it's OK to run around with them and shoot things. B) I would prefer semi-automatic assault rifles not be accessible to the public or severely severly limited at the very least.

I know that the root cause here, the common denominator, is mentally unstable individuals who just lose their minds. But, with that said, I also do not think that making it easier to buy assault weapons only to honor the second ammendment is necessarily intelligent or appropriate. I mean, the shooter got the gun from his mother who had legally obtained and registered it. Seriously? I'm sorry - you're a 58 year old mother and you need a semi-automatic assault rifle in a small town in Connecticut because WHY? This is what I'm talking about. No, limiting access won't completely stop all crazy people from killing others but if it had been much more difficult for this woman to obtain a legal registration for this weapon, the may have not been able to get it and 27 lives may have been able to be saved, not to mention the hundreds of other hearts that are now destroyed by the deaths of these young kids. All because of mass murder weapon that Ms. Lanza registered to herself for god only knows why - but if it was for her "protection", a simple hand gun is normally sufficient if there's a burglar in your house.

Message 35 of 154 (141 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/11/2010
Offline
5381 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

I know I'm speculating here. The guns were registered to his mother, I believe the guns were for him.  He was a con artist,  He was sticking up for his mother, because she was fired or about to be.  Went to the school, had his motivation!   Certainly had some beef with the school.  This could be that the mother was suppose to carry out the act and not him. He wanted to show, he was the man of the house.  But, went about it all wrong. I know a lot of speculation.  But, just my opinion on the event.   Holidays just made it worse! 

 

 

Truly sad!! 

Message 36 of 154 (125 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/02/2012
Offline
103 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

rramsdell wrote:

I know I'm speculating here. The guns were registered to his mother, I believe the guns were for him.  He was a con artist,  He was sticking up for his mother, because she was fired or about to be.  Went to the school, had his motivation!   Certainly had some beef with the school.  This could be that the mother was suppose to carry out the act and not him. He wanted to show, he was the man of the house.  But, went about it all wrong. I know a lot of speculation.  But, just my opinion on the event.   Holidays just made it worse! 

 

 

Truly sad!! 


I dont know about that because of the fact that the mother was found dead in the home. I think he was just a twisted individual. And what kind of coward shoots up an elementary school, Why cant these people that gun down innocents and then off themselves just spare everyone the pain and anguish and kill themselves first. I dont think we'll ever be able to make sense of it and all we can do now is keep the family in our thoughts and prayers.



PSN - Vallez93
Message 37 of 154 (116 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 05/05/2010
Offline
13633 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Sir-Climhazzard wrote:

Personally I find it extremely tacky that the first thing people start talking about when things like this happen is how they want to keep their guns. Seriously? There are deceased children and devastated families whose lives will never be the same and the first thing you want to say is "don't take away my gun rights"?

 

This is another horrible tragedy and my heart is seriously broken for these families. I cannot imagine being the mom or dad getting that phone call from the police department.

 

But really people, show some respect for this situation and keep the gun talk where it belongs: on the NRA.org forums in private.


I can see why they do it; after all, many people will immediately call for gun bans after something like this (I have several on my FB that have...no mention of sorrow for the victims or families from at least one of them either, so don't go thinking its just one side) and ignore the fact that a gun ban does not keep people from being shot, and definitely does not stop tragedies like this from happening...just like making drugs illegal does not stop people from using them.

 

There are also many people that do not have much empathy, and, especially if this takes place far away from them, have a hard time relating to the incident. Others just have a hard time feeling for people they will never meet, and there are those who are thinking of what this means for themselves and their families. 

 

I feel for the people that are involved with this horror, and am glad no one I know is directly affected. But...I also do have to think what this can do to myself and my family and friends. I've already seen people falling back on the stupid "its all your fault video games!" argument, and, like I said, have seen too many people calling for gun bans. People do need to slow down and think, but there is also a time to actually discuss what can be done to prevent as much damage from the next attack (and yes, there will be more. Our society's "celebritization" of criminals is a huge problem, and causes other crazies to try to top the last psycho. This one will be no different)

 

 

I also hope I am reading you wrong; that you are not someone supporting overly-strick or an outright ban on guns. I hope that if it is true, you do know that instead of guns, it will be knives, homemade bombs or biological/chemical attacks that hit the next target...or illegal guns. Criminals do not care about the law; they will do anything they can to kill if they intend to. Forcing good people to have less-to-no protection is never a good thing...

One more thing: since gun ownership is protected under the second ammendment, and is a right that all of us can enjoy, it is not something that "belongs" just in private or on one forum; it is a public matter and if you do not wish to discuss it, you do not have to. 


I'm not calling for a ban of all guns, I'm saying that A) children should have limited exposure to weapons even in the form of toys. I can't tell you how many news articles I've read in the past year about toddlers picking up hand guns and shooting them. Yes, partially this is due to bad parenting and people not monitoring their children, but it's also partially due to the fact that we commercialize guns into toys which basically (in the minds of children) tells kids that it's OK to run around with them and shoot things. B) I would prefer semi-automatic assault rifles not be accessible to the public or severely severly limited at the very least.

I know that the root cause here, the common denominator, is mentally unstable individuals who just lose their minds. But, with that said, I also do not think that making it easier to buy assault weapons only to honor the second ammendment is necessarily intelligent or appropriate. I mean, the shooter got the gun from his mother who had legally obtained and registered it. Seriously? I'm sorry - you're a 58 year old mother and you need a semi-automatic assault rifle in a small town in Connecticut because WHY? This is what I'm talking about. No, limiting access won't completely stop all crazy people from killing others but if it had been much more difficult for this woman to obtain a legal registration for this weapon, the may have not been able to get it and 27 lives may have been able to be saved, not to mention the hundreds of other hearts that are now destroyed by the deaths of these young kids. All because of mass murder weapon that Ms. Lanza registered to herself for god only knows why - but if it was for her "protection", a simple hand gun is normally sufficient if there's a burglar in your house.


That is bad parenting. Plain and simple. A parent needs to teach their kids what's safe and what's not, and should know better than to leave something dangerous lying around, especially with the safety off. They need to teach their kids not to touch anything that isn't theirs and always ask before doing so. Blame this "glorification of guns" if you want to, but I'm pretty sure in the past people handled guns around little kids and didn't really have this issue. Then again, at one point parents actually were parents...

 

So, you know exactly when and why she had these guns? Why haven't you told the media yet?

For all anyone knows, she's had them for years. Did she serve in the military, and so knows how to handle them? Did she live somewhere where she actually needed them for protection (whether from animals or people)? Does she use them for hunting?

You can't jump to conclusions like you are; maybe she did just register the guns recently, but she could have also had them for a long time. You don't know. Nobody knows right now. And you can be sure that if she didn't have the guns, the shooter would have grabbed them from elsewhere; a friend's, another relative's, perhas some random guy down the road. Or maybe he would have used other, equally dangerous, homemade weapons...But you do know that he was going to kill.

 

Also, aren't fully-auto weapons against the law as it is? And its hard as heck to get anthing really powerful? Keep banning different guns altogether, and how long will it be before you are calling for repealing the ammendment altogether?

Making it harder for good people to get guns will not stop tragedies like this; it will only make them even worse when they use extremely dangerous homemade bombs or chemical weapons, get their hands on fully-auto guns, or do something else that is also very destructive. Getting good people prepared for this kind of thing is what can help, not trying to completely prevent the criminals, who don't give a **bleep** about the laws, from getting guns in the first place (yes, there should be restrictions; background checks and maybe a psych evaluation or something...but I don't think anything much further than that would help). After all...look at how well illegaizing drugs has gone...now, imagine that with guns...not a good picture, is it?

 

What really needs to happen is people getting educated. They need to actually learn how to handle guns, and what to do in this kind of situation. But...this argument can be said for a TON of things as well...and people do not want to learn. People want to just follow...unfortunately, that's not really turning out so well nowadays; not with religious nuts everywhere, people only listening to one political or media person/side and not thinking for themselves. And the people that do know what they are talking about, those who do think for themselves, are sometimes pushed to the finges of society because they do not "fit in" and labled as some sort of "troublemaker" and ignored.

 

The other thing that should happen is people need to stop being so self-centered and report suspicious people. Seriously, if these psychos can be identified before they snap you can prevent things from happening. Unfortunately...no one cares about this option, and no one wants to put the time or effort into it. And no one wants to step on anyone's toes...no, we can't even say "Merry Christmas" to anyone anymore...heck, I wonder how long until "Happy Holidays" is banned...or when people get offended by saying "Hi" to them...

Message 38 of 154 (106 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/02/2012
Offline
103 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

Dec 15, 2012

fully automatic weapons are not against the law, you send in an application to ATF, wait 6-8 months and then pay a 200$ tax stamp and you can own full auto weapons or you can set up a trust with a lawyer and have them do all the paperwork for you, you might also have to write a letter to your chief police officer about your weapon. And its also possible to own some powerful weapons, You could go online or to a store and buy an AK-47 rifle which fires a 7.62 round, which is pretty powerful. 



PSN - Vallez93
Message 39 of 154 (99 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/04/2003
Offline
7231 posts
 

Re: Deadly shooting at Newtown, CT

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

All I'm saying is prevention is 100 times more effective than reaction. And that's what a lot of America has done up to this point - react but not prevent. We do a lot of reaction and we talk a lot about what should or should not be done but at the end of the day not a lot actually gets DONE and then, surprise, the same tragedies continue to happen again and again.

 

Makes more sense to take the bullets out of the gun to begin with, rather than just trying to avoid being shot after it's too late - if you catch my drift.

Message 40 of 154 (97 Views)
Reply
0 Likes