Jan 02 2007
By: IrishCarBomb~ Hekseville Citizen 298 posts

Damn University Bueracracy =/

6 replies 1 views Edited Jan 2, 2007
NEed to vent.

Last year I took a class for my major, got a B+ in it, and thought I was prepared to take the next class in the series for it. The next class is only taught in the spring every year. Last year, I did not satisfy a paticular pre-req for that second class in the series, so i was unable to take it then.

Flash forward to now.

The pre-req class is satisfied, and now im all ready to take this class in the spring right? NOPE :/
Apparently, the paticular way the first series class was taught was taught incorrectly. We had some prof. from Spain teaching the class, and she taught it in some really weird style that did not give the students the fundamentals needed to do the work correctly. Think of this class as a rather challenging math class where there is no homework, and only two tests. You go to lecture, and thats it. You dont really retain any information that way.

I spoke with my major's department, and told them I would go out on a limb, and retake the damn class for winter quarter of THIS year, but guess what?
I cant. You cannot get credit for a class you have already taken and passed.
Someone suggested that I "Audit" the class (ie show up, go to lecture, and leave), but thats **bleep**ign rediculous. First of all, 4 total classes is an overload, and secondly, one of my classes I want to take meets at the exact same time this **bleep**ing class meets.

Ive spent a rather long time writing rather long emails to department heads, professors, and the like, but chances are no one is going to get off their ass and figure something out for me.

So basically, im being forced to take a class this spring which I will FAIL because the god damn university could not properly teach the first class in the series. Wonderful. A **bleep**ing assload of money for college, and I just get jerked around.

/vent
Message 1 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Re: Damn University Bueracracy =/

Jan 2, 2007

IrishCarBomb wrote:
NEed to vent.

Last year I took a class for my major, got a B+ in it, and thought I was prepared to take the next class in the series for it. The next class is only taught in the spring every year. Last year, I did not satisfy a paticular pre-req for that second class in the series, so i was unable to take it then.

Flash forward to now.

The pre-req class is satisfied, and now im all ready to take this class in the spring right? NOPE :/
Apparently, the paticular way the first series class was taught was taught incorrectly. We had some prof. from Spain teaching the class, and she taught it in some really weird style that did not give the students the fundamentals needed to do the work correctly. Think of this class as a rather challenging math class where there is no homework, and only two tests. You go to lecture, and thats it. You dont really retain any information that way.

I spoke with my major's department, and told them I would go out on a limb, and retake the damn class for winter quarter of THIS year, but guess what?
I cant. You cannot get credit for a class you have already taken and passed.
Someone suggested that I "Audit" the class (ie show up, go to lecture, and leave), but thats **bleep**ign rediculous. First of all, 4 total classes is an overload, and secondly, one of my classes I want to take meets at the exact same time this **bleep**ing class meets.

Ive spent a rather long time writing rather long emails to department heads, professors, and the like, but chances are no one is going to get off their ass and figure something out for me.

So basically, im being forced to take a class this spring which I will FAIL because the god damn university could not properly teach the first class in the series. Wonderful. A **bleep**ing assload of money for college, and I just get jerked around.

/vent

Wow...what kind of college is that?Smiley Indifferent

Anyways, I've never been to college myself...but I'm trying for MIT..nothing to do with this anyhow.

But, in college, I belive proffesors are almost a guidence for you, and that you accualy do much of the learning yourself. Soo, do you have vacations in summers etc. in college? During that time, I suggest the course you took, you should review, in order to prepare for spring...you'll be fine if you accualy do your stuff.

You learn nothing if you just listen to proffesors, you must learn youself, and discover, yourself(as in discover "by yourself" and not like your being...Smiley Tongue).
APPLE SPY
Message 2 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Jan 2, 2007

IrishCarBomb wrote:
I have no way to review. No decent notes, no homework (there was none), there was no book for the class-- nothing. The class isnt something you can just google for instruction either.

What is the class?
APPLE SPY
Message 3 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Jan 2, 2007
I have no way to review. No decent notes, no homework (there was none), there was no book for the class-- nothing. The class isnt something you can just google for instruction either.

And I go to one of the few University of California's. The one located in most liberal, laid back, place on the planet that rivals some of the rasta nations lazyness. It shouldnt be too hard to guess :/

Message Edited by IrishCarBomb on 01-02-2007 05:58 AM
Message 4 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Jan 2, 2007
Semantics 1
Message 5 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Jan 2, 2007

IrishCarBomb wrote:
Semantics 1

Just because your weren't told to get these books, doesn't mean they wont help.

I mean, I'm sure there are TONS of websites on modern linguistics......just google around.

You'll be ahead of your classmates.
APPLE SPY
Message 6 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
7054 posts

Jan 2, 2007
You need to go in and talk to the program councellor.

And don't feel wrong about threatening to take it to a "higher power". That's not fair at all and I as well is getting sick of the incompetent.
PSN id: Home_Slice

Message 7 of 7 (1 View)
0 Likes