Jan 03 2007
By: Leo2112 Gaming Beast 2251 posts

Damn Pimples

9 replies 3 views Edited Jan 3, 2007
Does anyone know of a good treatment for pimples. I have had them for about 6 years.
I have tried clearisil, neutrogena, ProActive, and other products. Has anyone here used
something that actually worked. Thnx in advanced.
fire at the office Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 1 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6819 posts

Re: Damn Pimples

Jan 3, 2007
proactive is my sisters go - to

my face is really clean with the occaisionaly monthly zit

Rome Anthem 158 = Freerider Heaven
In my time here, i have learnt that 80% of the stories that are posted on the forums have been reposted from Digg, Reddit, ect..
Message 2 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19357 posts

Jan 3, 2007
i have the occasional pimple every now then.e..but nothing serious
Why, yes, I was born on January 1, 1905."
Message 3 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7156 posts

Jan 3, 2007
I use this special stuff from a dermatologist but I occasionally still get a couple
Message 4 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3851 posts

Jan 3, 2007
Go to the doctor. They'll give you some good stuff.

Message 5 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2041 posts

Jan 3, 2007
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do these things on a daily basis, but we all know that probably won't continue.

Regardless, today's fun fact is about acne. Lots of us have it or have had to deal with it at some point in their lives. In fact, something like 80% of teenagers deal with it. So what the heck actually causes it and what is the best method of prevention?

Actually, regardless of what you've been told, there are some pretty clear answers to all of this. First of all, lots of myths surround the causes of acne. In fact, diet (meaning foods you eat) isn't definitively linked, and bad hygiene or a dirty face really don't lead to acne -- that's all BS. The real causes of acne are genetic properties, strong hormones (aggravated by anger and stress), and skin irritation. Granted, there are still some unknown causes as to why certain people suffer and others do not, but it definitely has nothing to do with most of what you've probably been told.

A quick rundown for those who don't know: acne is caused by pore blockage, not from dirt or grit, but rather, thanks to dead skin cells shed in the interior of the sebacious glands. You see, your sebacious (oil) glands -- which, by the way, are entirely separate from your sweat glands -- produce sebum to lubricate your skin and facial hairs. When they are overractive and produce too much oil, the outer skin in the inside of the gland sheds quickly and plugs the pore. Now, bacteria builds up inside the plugged area, and the result is an abscess. Depending on the nature of the abscess, you may end up with either a blackhead or a whitehead.

So how to prevent acne? Well, there are plenty of medications and face washes that purport to help prevent acne. One of these is Proactiv, though unfortunately, it is ridiculously overpriced and includes a harsh facial cleanser that actually works against the preventive benefits of the benzoyl peroxide solution. Other methods include a host of different antibiotics, but their results are highly personalized and they lead to other annoying problems (a recent study has shown that acne antibiotics, whether taken in pill form or topically, result in nearly twice as many colds. The reason is thought to be that by taking them you kill much of the good bacteria that coexist with us in our nasal passages). Finally, you can try tretinoin (Retin-A) and isotretinoin (Accutane), but both -- mostly Accutane -- are tied to some odd health issues (most people find Retin-A to be very tolerable, however).

But there's an even easier way to prevent 90% of acne. A website details the benefits of the common active ingredient in many OTC and prescription acne medications, benzoyl peroxide (the same one found in Proactiv). Unlike salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide actually kills the bacteria in your sebacious glands by exposing them to oxygen (they are, in fact, anaerobic organisms). All you have to do is this:

1) If you use an electric razor, shave before cleaning your face. If you don't, place this step after cleansing.
2) Find a very, very mild cleanser that does not irritate your skin and wash your face.
3) Dry your face with a towel by patting, not rubbing.
4) Once your face is completely dry, get yourself a tube of benzoyl peroxide 2.5% (higher concentrations offer no better results), apply a lot of it to your face, and rub it in. Make sure to use plenty of it.
5) Once it dries, apply some non-comedogenic and oil-free moisturizer that includes a sunscreen. The one I have linked to is considered to be the absolute best.

Do this twice daily, once in the morning, and once at night.

That's it. Give this a shot, and see if it doesn't work for you. Chances are, it'll work better than any number of prescriptions you're taking. And dermatologists either don't know or don't care.

~os

Guess who's back.
Message 6 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3851 posts

Jan 3, 2007
Heres some home remedies i dunno if they work or not.

Message 7 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15503 posts

Jan 3, 2007

pyoung0259 wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do these things on a daily basis, but we all know that probably won't continue.

Regardless, today's fun fact is about acne. Lots of us have it or have had to deal with it at some point in their lives. In fact, something like 80% of teenagers deal with it. So what the heck actually causes it and what is the best method of prevention?

Actually, regardless of what you've been told, there are some pretty clear answers to all of this. First of all, lots of myths surround the causes of acne. In fact, diet (meaning foods you eat) isn't definitively linked, and bad hygiene or a dirty face really don't lead to acne -- that's all BS. The real causes of acne are genetic properties, strong hormones (aggravated by anger and stress), and skin irritation. Granted, there are still some unknown causes as to why certain people suffer and others do not, but it definitely has nothing to do with most of what you've probably been told.

A quick rundown for those who don't know: acne is caused by pore blockage, not from dirt or grit, but rather, thanks to dead skin cells shed in the interior of the sebacious glands. You see, your sebacious (oil) glands -- which, by the way, are entirely separate from your sweat glands -- produce sebum to lubricate your skin and facial hairs. When they are overractive and produce too much oil, the outer skin in the inside of the gland sheds quickly and plugs the pore. Now, bacteria builds up inside the plugged area, and the result is an abscess. Depending on the nature of the abscess, you may end up with either a blackhead or a whitehead.

So how to prevent acne? Well, there are plenty of medications and face washes that purport to help prevent acne. One of these is Proactiv, though unfortunately, it is ridiculously overpriced and includes a harsh facial cleanser that actually works against the preventive benefits of the benzoyl peroxide solution. Other methods include a host of different antibiotics, but their results are highly personalized and they lead to other annoying problems (a recent study has shown that acne antibiotics, whether taken in pill form or topically, result in nearly twice as many colds. The reason is thought to be that by taking them you kill much of the good bacteria that coexist with us in our nasal passages). Finally, you can try tretinoin (Retin-A) and isotretinoin (Accutane), but both -- mostly Accutane -- are tied to some odd health issues (most people find Retin-A to be very tolerable, however).

But there's an even easier way to prevent 90% of acne. A website details the benefits of the common active ingredient in many OTC and prescription acne medications, benzoyl peroxide (the same one found in Proactiv). Unlike salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide actually kills the bacteria in your sebacious glands by exposing them to oxygen (they are, in fact, anaerobic organisms). All you have to do is this:

1) If you use an electric razor, shave before cleaning your face. If you don't, place this step after cleansing.
2) Find a very, very mild cleanser that does not irritate your skin and wash your face.
3) Dry your face with a towel by patting, not rubbing.
4) Once your face is completely dry, get yourself a tube of benzoyl peroxide 2.5% (higher concentrations offer no better results), apply a lot of it to your face, and rub it in. Make sure to use plenty of it.
5) Once it dries, apply some non-comedogenic and oil-free moisturizer that includes a sunscreen. The one I have linked to is considered to be the absolute best.

Do this twice daily, once in the morning, and once at night.

That's it. Give this a shot, and see if it doesn't work for you. Chances are, it'll work better than any number of prescriptions you're taking. And dermatologists either don't know or don't care.

~os

I read about using benzoyl peroxide before, but in the thing I was using I think they were talking about using pure benzoyl peroxide, or something close at least, because they were talking about using it alot more cautiously.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 8 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
gf~
Uncharted Territory
1710 posts

Jan 3, 2007
i use proactive i use it once and all pimples gone and when i get a lot on my face i use it once more
Message 9 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4323 posts

Jan 3, 2007
yeah i always have atleast one deep pimple on my face, and they take up to a week to go away, ive tried maybe 3 prescriptions from my dermatologist and each time hes given me something stronger and stronger and said that it should work. i have used clearasil pads and have gone through alot of proactiv and none of it helps.. so soon im going to start accutane, but you have to take it for 6 months straight i think she said because in 99 percent of patients it doesnt work unless taken the full 6 months

Message Edited by on 01-02-2007 10:24 PM
Message 10 of 10 (3 Views)
0 Likes