Nov 25 2006
By: Antman1016~ Fender Bender 4319 posts

DVD Drive......

8 replies 1 views Edited Nov 25, 2006
I was gonna get a whole new PC with a DVD drive in it but instead I decided to just buy a DVD drive. How much are they? Would I have to get a new case because I have 2 drives a CD-ROM and CD-burner. I heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM drive and replace it with a DVD one and it would work for regular cds too. I also heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM and get a combo DVD and CD. Is that true? Cna you point me out to one?
HEY GUEESSS WHAT!! THIS POST MEANS NOTINHGGGG ISNT THAT JUST WONDERFUL!!!!!

+0 ftw!
Message 1 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Re: DVD Drive......

Nov 26, 2006
You guys are stupid...

JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK JK

Message Edited by Antman1016 on 11-25-2006 06:16 PM

+0 ftw!
Message 2 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12855 posts

Nov 26, 2006
My dad recently replaced the CD drive with the dvd drive and the dvd drive with the dvd burner, so yeah that should work
Message 3 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1175 posts

Nov 26, 2006

Antman1016 wrote:
I was gonna get a whole new PC with a DVD drive in it but instead I decided to just buy a DVD drive. How much are they? (About $30) Would I have to get a new case because I have 2 drives a CD-ROM and CD-burner (If u only have 2 bays, and both filled up, get rid of one drive and use the new one or get an externat drive) . I heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM drive and replace it with a DVD one and it would work for regular cds too. I also heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM and get a combo DVD and CD. Is that true? Cna you point me out to one? SAMSUNG Black DVD Burner

Message 4 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Nov 26, 2006

Da_Producer wrote:

Antman1016 wrote:
I was gonna get a whole new PC with a DVD drive in it but instead I decided to just buy a DVD drive. How much are they? (About $30) Would I have to get a new case because I have 2 drives a CD-ROM and CD-burner (If u only have 2 bays, and both filled up, get rid of one drive and use the new one or get an externat drive) . I heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM drive and replace it with a DVD one and it would work for regular cds too. I also heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM and get a combo DVD and CD. Is that true? Cna you point me out to one? SAMSUNG Black DVD Burner

That Samsung is a good one.

They're all around $30 these days. NEC is also a good name.
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 5 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4303 posts

Nov 26, 2006

Antman1016 wrote:
I was gonna get a whole new PC with a DVD drive in it but instead I decided to just buy a DVD drive. How much are they? Would I have to get a new case because I have 2 drives a CD-ROM and CD-burner. I heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM drive and replace it with a DVD one and it would work for regular cds too. I also heard I can just get rid of my CD-ROM and get a combo DVD and CD. Is that true? Cna you point me out to one?

You need to open the case and take out one of your cd drives.
It costs about $ 40.00 Cad
Combo drives can burn cd and dvd.

Here's one.

Click the sig
Message 6 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Nov 26, 2006
Cool! I just got done ordering. Are they hard to install.

+0 ftw!
Message 7 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4303 posts

Nov 26, 2006

Antman1016 wrote:

They can be.

You have to open the case. Then you have to unplug the cd drive your going to take out It'll have a IDE cable and a power cable. The power cable can be difficult to remove, just wiggle it out a bit till it's out. Then you need to unscrew either the clips on the side of the cd drive and put the clips on the new drive, Or the cd drive may be screwed right into the case, you would then need to unscrew it and then screw the new drive in it's place. Hook up the cables.

The thing is. If your new dvd drive shares the ide cable with the hard drive, you need to set the dvd drive to slave.
If the cd drive you took out was set to slave or master, the new dvd drive needs to be set the same way.
You set it with something called a jumper. You'll see the jumper when you lok on the back of the dvd drive.

Message Edited by Zone1 on 11-25-2006 06:38 PM

Click the sig
Message 8 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4319 posts

Nov 26, 2006

Zone1 wrote:

Antman1016 wrote:

They can be.

You have to open the case. Then you have to unplug the cd drive your going to take out It'll have a IDE cable and a power cable. The power cable can be difficult to remove, just wiggle it out a bit till it's out. Then you need to unscrew either the clips on the side of the cd drive and put the clips on the new drive, Or the cd drive may be screwed right into the case, you would then need to unscrew it and then screw the new drive in it's place. Hook up the cables.

The thing is. If your new dvd drive shares the ide cable with the hard drive, you need to set the dvd drive to slave.
If the cd drive you took out was set to slave or master, the new dvd drive needs to be set the same way.
You set it with something called a jumper. You'll see the jumper when you lok on the back of the dvd drive.

Message Edited by Zone1 on 11-25-2006 06:38 PM

Doesn't sound TOO difficult.

+0 ftw!
Message 9 of 9 (1 View)
0 Likes