Highlighted
Dec 16 2006
By: JustusUnLimited~ Fender Bender 3714 posts

DAILY SHOW JUST AS SUBSTANTIAL AS THOSE OTHER GUYS!!!

5 replies 2 views Edited Dec 16, 2006

"According to a study done by researchers at Indiana University, Jon Stewart delivers just as much factual information per minute as any of his ‘real news’ competitors.

Led by Julie R. Fox, assistant professor of telecommunications at IU, the study scrutinized coverage of the 2004 Democratic and Republican national conventions. Findings from the study indicated that the average amounts of video and audio substance in the broadcast network news stories showed no difference between news on the Daily Show and that of other networks. In addition, stories covered by the Daily Show were given more screen time than the average story of its competition.

It should be noted that the broadcast network news stories about the presidential election were ignificantly shorter, on average, than were The Daily Show with Jon Stewart stories, said Fox. The argument could be made that while the amount of substance per story was not significantly different, the proportion of each story devoted to substance was greater in the network news stories … On the other hand, the proportion of stories per half hour program devoted to the election campaign was greater in The Daily Show.

But with a topic that can be interpreted with some degree of subjectivity, how can substance remain constant throughout the study? According to Fox, substance was defined in the study as that which addressed issues included in the party platform or questions of candidate qualification. Said Fox, It is similar to criteria used by other scholars who examine political coverage—’image vs. issue’—but there’s consensus within the scholarly and journalistic communities that anytime there is discussion of issues in a campaign, that’s what would be considered substantive.

The study, called, No Joke: A Comparison of Substance in The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Broadcast Network Television Coverage of the 2004 Presidential Election Campaign, will be in the Journal of Broadcast and Electronic Media in the summer of 2007."

-Mike Zazaian

REJOICE AND BE MERRY THE TRUTH HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! WATCH THE DAILY SHOW AND BE JUST AS INFORMED AS YOU WOULD BE HAD YOU WATCHED LARRY KING!!!! WOOOOOHHOOOOOOOO!!!(personally this has been something I've been thinking about because I've always wondered if Daily Show can be considered real news and now I know that it can be)

SOURCE: http://techfreep.com/daily-show-just-as-substantive-as-real-news-study-says.htm

Message Edited by Justus UnLimited on 12-16-2006 02:03 PM
Message 1 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5835 posts

Re: DAILY SHOW JUST AS SUBSTANTIAL AS THOSE OTHER GUYS!!!

Dec 16, 2006
And he adds humour to bootSmiley Very Happy
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 2 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6216 posts

Dec 16, 2006
The only world news I trust comes from the Daily Show. Jon always ends up putting those guys in thier place. Remember how he dealt with that Tucker Carlson guy? That was hilarious while proving his point at the same time.
Brushes with death are like snowflakes. Each one is unique and icy cold.
Message 3 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4542 posts

Dec 16, 2006

Justus UnLimited wrote:

"According to a study done by researchers at Indiana University, Jon Stewart delivers just as much factual information per minute as any of his ‘real news’ competitors.

Led by Julie R. Fox, assistant professor of telecommunications at IU, the study scrutinized coverage of the 2004 Democratic and Republican national conventions. Findings from the study indicated that the average amounts of video and audio substance in the broadcast network news stories showed no difference between news on the Daily Show and that of other networks. In addition, stories covered by the Daily Show were given more screen time than the average story of its competition.

It should be noted that the broadcast network news stories about the presidential election were ignificantly shorter, on average, than were The Daily Show with Jon Stewart stories, said Fox. The argument could be made that while the amount of substance per story was not significantly different, the proportion of each story devoted to substance was greater in the network news stories … On the other hand, the proportion of stories per half hour program devoted to the election campaign was greater in The Daily Show.

But with a topic that can be interpreted with some degree of subjectivity, how can substance remain constant throughout the study? According to Fox, substance was defined in the study as that which addressed issues included in the party platform or questions of candidate qualification. Said Fox, It is similar to criteria used by other scholars who examine political coverage—’image vs. issue’—but there’s consensus within the scholarly and journalistic communities that anytime there is discussion of issues in a campaign, that’s what would be considered substantive.

The study, called, No Joke: A Comparison of Substance in The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Broadcast Network Television Coverage of the 2004 Presidential Election Campaign, will be in the Journal of Broadcast and Electronic Media in the summer of 2007."

-Mike Zazaian

REJOICE AND BE MERRY THE TRUTH HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! WATCH THE DAILY SHOW AND BE JUST AS INFORMED AS YOU WOULD BE HAD YOU WATCHED LARRY KING!!!! WOOOOOHHOOOOOOOO!!!(personally this has been something I've been thinking about because I've always wondered if Daily Show can be considered real news and now I know that it can be)

SOURCE: http://techfreep.com/daily-show-just-as-substantive-as-real-news-study-says.htm

Message Edited by Justus UnLimited on 12-16-2006 02:03 PM

I think if you get your news from Jon Steward is just as bad if you get your news from Rush Limbaugh. Both are good entertainers about screwing the news from the right or left, but there not straight news man and quite a bit of propaganda gets into it.
Message 4 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15867 posts

Dec 16, 2006

arabian wrote:
And he adds humour to bootSmiley Very Happy

Yeah that show freaking rocks, keeps me laughing every minute or so
Message 5 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9710 posts

Dec 16, 2006
I'll admit that I get most of my political news from The Daily Show, but I also realize that they put a spin on it. However, when they show direct video clips of some politician saying something stupid, then that's what actually happened. Sure they go with it and make it funny, and sometimes I think they make a joke last too long, but that's just for entertainment, and I can differentiate between the two. The Colbert Report is hilarious too, but I don't consider it as credible as The Daily Show. Although I find it hilarious when people think that Stephen Colbert is actually a hardcore right wing conservative.
Message 6 of 6 (2 Views)
0 Likes