Wastelander
846 posts

Re: Connecticut School shooting in the U.S. please read Do not ignore

Dec 17, 2012

LAXfrEEk880 wrote:

dan-s412 wrote:
It's probably because I live in NYC where guns are so common i feel this way, but....
I call bs on the "oh if only a good guy had a gun everything will be cool" (unless you mean good guys as law enforcement or security) Lol OK but what happens when a good guy goes crazy. From what I heard he took his MOTHER'S gun. Yeah so how will you stop a case like that.

no your dumb.  i to go to school not in nyc, but in the swap spot between philly and nyc, so im around that stuff too.  when i drive through a-town, i always have a weapon in my car.  because if a good guy does go bad, then i at least have some defense.

i agree with what someone said above, what if the principle had a gun and stopped him before he could od anything damage.  what if a couple of teachers had guns....

and finally, the only reason his mother bought the guns is because he was denied a gun in the first place.  so the laws are clearly not working.  when theres a will theres a way. and unfortunately, in this case, that will is sometimes evil.  

No YOUR dumb. You basically backed up what i said. If an armed security gaurd was there and succeeded there would be a different story. I live in the city where you can get shot for stepping on someone's new sneakers. All i would want is illegal guns off the streets. ( i believe most of you will agree) but this will never happen.

Yes if you want self-defence ok get a legalized one but dont be stupid shoot yourself in the leg (aka Plaxico Burress) because you dont know how to use it. 

alt= H-A-Z-A-R-D-_-V
Message 21 of 32 (194 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator (Retired)
5944 posts

Dec 17, 2012
Thread moved from the MAG section. Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy..
Message 22 of 32 (175 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42468 posts

Dec 17, 2012

I'm not sure that guns are the real problem here, if someone, especially someone with mental health issues is so determined to do something like that then they are going to do it, unfortunately I don't think banning guns will not stop this from happening.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_300x50_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Live Chat Available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm PST & Sun 6am-8pm PST
Message 23 of 32 (169 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Dec 17, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

I'm not sure that guns are the real problem here, if someone, especially someone with mental health issues is so determined to do something like that then they are going to do it, unfortunately I don't think banning guns will not stop this from happening.

It won't. If someone wants to kill, they will. Either they'll get illegal guns (hey, drugs are illegal, yet how easy is it to get them?), or use something potentially more dangerous (household checmicals are scary, and homemade bombs are even moreso).

We need to get the media under control; stop them from publicizing this and making the killers into celebrities, and we need to start actually identifying and treating people with mental illnesses (and not just the standard "drug them up and everything's fine" or the good old "ignore it and it will go away" treatment...)

And I miss you guys over on the MAG forums...so hi *waves*

Message 24 of 32 (164 Views)
Shinra Executive
42181 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

LAXfrEEk880 wrote:

i agree with what someone said above, what if the principle had a gun and stopped him before he could od anything damage.  what if a couple of teachers had guns....

Mentioned this in the other thread going on but at my middle school and high school (in both San Antonio and FL where I now am), we had officers assigned to the schools. There was atleast 1-2 officers assigned on campus from the local department, sometimes more given events. So we always had a law enforcement officer on hand with a firearm. I don't recall if my elementary school had one or not.

I'm surprised to find out though that this isn't a standard thing.

As for the whole 'gun control' matter and banning them, won't solve the problem. If crazies want to kill people in mass, they'll find other means. Reading some of these stories/plots, quite a few of them also research how to make homemade bombs. How do you ban those? They'll get creative if they can't get their hands on guns (or end up stealing them). They'll resort to homemade bombs/flamethrowers/whatever to achieve what they're planning to do.

Message 25 of 32 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Taking a moment to reelect on the actual tragedy of the children being killed.  What happened is horrible and inexcusable.  I certainly feel for the families of all the victims.  

We now live in a society where mental illness is no longer seen as a dettainable state of mind.  God forbid we take away someone's rights to mingle among society, just because they have homicidal tendencies (sarcasm).  Let's put people who are not socially adaptive into homes and detention facilities where they can be monitored or medicated.  Oh, no, we can't do that, they are only disabled (sarcasm again).

This society is more afraid of offending someone, rather than self monitoring its members, picking out the problems before they hurt someone.  It is easier to blame something else, when they hurt others.  

Take a second to review the activities of any mass killer from recent past.  Once the investigation is completed, in every case, there was glaring evidence these people were unstable and willing to harm others.  Yet the people around them, allowed them to continue on their path, unhindered.  I blame the enablers, not the tools.

Are there problems with current regulations regarding firearms?  Yes.  Should the answer be to revoke the right to own them, outright?  No.

A hammer drives a nail through a board.

A screw driver drives a screw into a desired surface.

A gas pedal allows the flow of gasoline through the valves, into the pistons, where the spark plugs ignite both fuel and air to create combustion, allowing an engine to produce energy.

All these things are tools.  In and of themselves, useless without one key element; a user.  Without a hand, or a foot to put these tools into motion, the resultant actions can never happen.  

Murder is murder, no matter the tool used to perform the act.  Ban guns, people will use knives.  Ban knives, people will use sticks and clubs.  Ban sticks and clubs, people will use rocks.  Ban rocks, people will use their hands.  Ban hands?  Where does it end?

Should the average person possess an arsenal?  No, certainly not.  Should regulations be higher on the purchase and sale of firearms?  Of course they should.  Banning firearms will not solve the issues created by maladjusted people using them.  A great majority of firearms related crimes are done so by those possessing illegally obtained firearms.  

What happened in Connecticut is horrifying.  I see this thread getting out of control on the issue of gun ownership.  It is falling into a political tool, rather than a somber reflection on what happened.  The gun was not the problem, the person was.  

Our rights should not be the focus of these events, it should be the children.

I have a small child and I look upon her with joy and love.  I hate the thought of loosing her to some maniac with a gun.  This being said; I own firearms and will not give them up, because of the actions of a deranged person who happened to use a gun.

I hug and kiss my child every chance I get.  That is all I can do.  That is all that I really care about.  THAT is what should be the focus.  It isn't though.  The talking heads in DC are now looking at this as a way to push their agenda.  THEY DO NOT CARE!  Do not be fooled.  They only wish to push their agenda.  Don't believe the hype.

Anyone who goes out of their way to be on TV just to make a comment about something that had nothing directly to do with them, is a narcissist and looking for an angle.  Even the NEws agencies covering the story are guilty.  Look at the production they put into the stories.  Graphics, music choices, and "all star" comments.  You hardly ever see those who were actually effected by a tragedy on the news.  You only see stolen pictures of them, as they try to grieve in private.  The media, the politicians and the stupid, "johnnies on the sidewalk" who run up to any camera they see, just to be "part of the moment"; are all no better than the go that forms in a hungry dogs jowls.

If the media and the politicians, suddenly had a "larger" story to report on, they would leave that town so fast it would create a vacuum.

Don't let them turn these tragic events into a political dissertation on firearms control.  Bob Costa, I don't care what you think.  Katy Couric, I don't care what you think.  Chris Matthews, I don't care what you think.   Brian Williams, I don't care what you think.  CNN, I don't care what you think.  Fox, I don't care what you think.  BLEEP the News.  BLEEP the politicians.

I feel for those families, and the tragedy they must now overcome.  I also feel for those families, in having to deal with the Circus that has descended upon them.  Time will heal wounds, so long as they are allowed to.  It is time for the cameras and the talking heads to leave that town alone now.

At least these are my opinions on all things related.  Out of respect for the children and their families, I will not answer any comments about my thoughts.  I have said my piece, and believe this thread has gone away from what should have been the focus, and not some diatribe on firearms.  Do your worst, if you feel you must.  Just remember, I don't care how YOU feel about ME.

Moble

Message 26 of 32 (159 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Amen brother. Amen.

Message 27 of 32 (153 Views)
Wastelander
631 posts

Dec 17, 2012

I've saw that news in the NBC channel. Why would bad people destroy children lives on school. And I've have a question do they even have school police in school or security on guard in school ?. This is going to far my opinion should be to get all bad people and put them in jail. Destroying innocence lives in school would never solve anything. We must stop these doing the bad things and be peace. Destroying more people would count as a terrorist.

I think this post going to be removed because well this does not talk about playstation and I know is off topic, but I feel a weird energy around me. Talking about deaths.

Message 28 of 32 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42181 posts

Dec 17, 2012

lazarojenrry wrote:

I've saw that news in the NBC channel. Why would bad people destroy children lives on school. And I've have a question do they even have school police in school or security on guard in school ?. This is going to far my opinion should be to get all bad people and put them in jail. Destroying innocence lives in school would never solve anything. We must stop these doing the bad things and be peace. Destroying more people would count as a terrorist.

I think this post going to be removed because well this does not talk about playstation and I know is off topic, but I feel a weird energy around me. Talking about deaths.

A few of us mentioned our schools having them but these were middle and high schools.  Not sure if elementary schools have them.

Message 29 of 32 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

lazarojenrry wrote:

A few of us mentioned our schools having them but these were middle and high schools.  Not sure if elementary schools have them.

Its hard to say if ours do right now, though, unless you've been there recently. I'm guessing most of us are way out of elementary school at this point. Middle and high school is much fresher in the mind, and really, how many rembemer a ton from your pre-teen (and less) years?

Message 30 of 32 (120 Views)
0 Likes