Mar 16 2007
By: swattkidd~ Keyblade Wielder 10305 posts

~~~Computer.experts needed for Booting an OS~~~~[LOOK HERE]

16 replies 2 views Edited Mar 16, 2007
Ok i got my solaris DVD today, and i want to boot it up from the DVD but i dont want to install anything on my comp or partion..is this possible?? i have never really used linux or anything like that so i have never done this before...

Message Edited by swattkidd on 03-16-2007 04:36 PM
Message 3 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Re: Computer experts needed for booting an OS

Mar 16, 2007
It it a live CD? If it is, you can boot from it without installing anything.
I reached 128-bit at 2,325 posts!!!oneone111!!

Message 1 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10305 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Carmaster wrote:

How can i tell if its a live CD?? i ordered it from the solaris website and it just came in the mail today
Message 2 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Mar 16, 2007

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

How can i tell if its a live CD?? i ordered it from the solaris website and it just came in the mail today

Try going back to the website you ordered it from, and check to see if you ordered the live version. If that doesn't work, just try putting in the CD, and see if it lets you boot from it without installing anything. But be careful when partitioning your hard drive. My Vista PC died that way.Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
14005 posts

Mar 16, 2007
well it depens as the other poster said if it´s a live cd you can boot but if it´s not your going to need to install it

Message 5 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10305 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Carmaster wrote:

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

Try going back to the website you ordered it from, and check to see if you ordered the live version. If that doesn't work, just try putting in the CD, and see if it lets you boot from it without installing anything. But be careful when partitioning your hard drive. My Vista PC died that way.Smiley Sad

Wait, so if its a live CD i dont need to partion or anything. But if i go and check to see if its a live CD what if it starts installing on its own or something lol? and if it asks me to install how do i get out of it?
Message 6 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
11132 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Carmaster wrote:

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

its really hard to ruin a harddrive from partitioning.  all you probably need to do is clear the entire drive and install XP or Vista

Message 7 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Lkr721993 wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

its really hard to ruin a harddrive from partitioning.  all you probably need to do is clear the entire drive and install XP or Vista

I know. It would be awesome if I actually had the XP or Vista install disks though.Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10305 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Carmaster wrote:

Lkr721993 wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

I know. It would be awesome if I actually had the XP or Vista install disks though.Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Ummm did my thread just get jacked??Smiley Very Happy let me ask again. what happens if it does ask me to install? how would i exit out of it and crap? i dont thinki should turn off my computer...
Message 9 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3224 posts

Mar 16, 2007

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

swattkidd wrote:

Carmaster wrote:

Wait, so if its a live CD i dont need to partion or anything. But if i go and check to see if its a live CD what if it starts installing on its own or something lol? and if it asks me to install how do i get out of it?

I don't think you need to partition if it's a live CD. Usually, it should ask you if you want to partition and install the OS when you first put the CD in. If it starts installing on its own, you should let it finish, then if you really don't like Linux, you can delete the partition it's on. But be careful not to delete Windows.Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17 (2 Views)
0 Likes