Highlighted
Sep 14 2003
By: Bobblehead~ I Only Post Everything 1176 posts

Computer Question: Windows XP, Need some serious help please!

7 replies 6 views Edited Sep 14, 2003

Alright, this is really hard to explain, but here it goes..

I have 2 computers in the house, and one of my computers is about 2 years old.. this one im on atm came with windows xp home edition and i wanted to try and install windows xp home edition on my other computer, all worked great untill after 30 days of installing windows xp your only allowed to have it on one computer.. so now whenever i turn on my computer i goes into this "activate windows" key mode thing and ill type in the key and its already in use by this computer... so theres no way of getting my old windows 98 back??? This is the only thing i can do on my other computer now since my 30 day trial thing is up.. I dont know much about computers at all so im hoping someone here does that can help me get my old computer back to windows 98 so it can start working again...

If anyone can PLEASE help me out, your help will be soo appriciated, this has been driving me crazy for ever. I tried calling microsoft but it never worked, just can anyone explain to me how to get my old windows 98 back? Thanks..

EQOA- Alaris, Dwarf Cleric of the 50th lvl
on CLW server
Guild: Stars of Destiny Elite
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 1 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2028 posts

Re: Computer Question: Windows XP, Need some serious help please!

Sep 14, 2003
I have Xp Professional, and I assume it works onthe same principal as home edition. Anyway, if you go into control panel, then into Ad/Remove programs, there should be an option to uninstall XP and revert back to your previous operating system.
Message 2 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7097 posts

Sep 14, 2003

,Bobblehead wrote:

Alright, this is really hard to explain, but here it goes..

I have 2 computers in the house, and one of my computers is about 2 years old.. this one im on atm came with windows xp home edition and i wanted to try and install windows xp home edition on my other computer, all worked great untill after 30 days of installing windows xp your only allowed to have it on one computer.. so now whenever i turn on my computer i goes into this "activate windows" key mode thing and ill type in the key and its already in use by this computer... so theres no way of getting my old windows 98 back??? This is the only thing i can do on my other computer now since my 30 day trial thing is up.. I dont know much about computers at all so im hoping someone here does that can help me get my old computer back to windows 98 so it can start working again...

If anyone can PLEASE help me out, your help will be soo appriciated, this has been driving me crazy for ever. I tried calling microsoft but it never worked, just can anyone explain to me how to get my old windows 98 back? Thanks..

Oooo, reverting to your old version of windows. Hmmm, since you installed Windows XP on the comp you probably deleted the Win98 install file on the comp so there isnt much you can do but buy Win Xp or a Win98 disc. Im not sure yet if you could still bring back your old OS back but most likely, its gone.

Message 3 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
895 posts

Sep 14, 2003

see that's why you don't do stuff like that... microsoft learned that ppl are ripping them off... and they get smeart and do stuff like that... well controlpanel/ uninstall/ winxp

or you can go to msdos and type something in and it clears your HD clean... i mean CLEAN....

Message 4 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6375 posts

Sep 14, 2003

Assuming  you upgraded and kept FAT32, you might want to just try reinstall win98 from the disk.  It should ask you if you want to overwrite the files so just say yes.  This shouldn't destroy any data except the OS.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to reformat the drive and reinstall windows.

Message 5 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2028 posts

Sep 14, 2003

,upn the geto station wrote:

see that's why you don't do stuff like that... microsoft learned that ppl are ripping them off... and they get smeart and do stuff like that... well controlpanel/ uninstall/ winxp

or you can go to msdos and type something in and it clears your HD clean... i mean CLEAN....

That isn't necessary unless you are having serious problems with software on your computer, something that can't be repaired. If he's gotten rid of his old operating system file, then he can just find a copy of 98 and reinstall it over XP.
Message 6 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Sep 14, 2003
You can always buy a enw windows xp, then use that key. You might be able to go on MS's website and buy a license and they'll give you a new key. This is much cheaper than buying all-new from the store. It shouldn't cost you mroe than $100.
Message 7 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
761 posts

Sep 15, 2003
Spend the 90 dollars and buy a legit copy of xp home.  Or format your harddrive and install your copy of 98.  I would not reinstall 98 without formatting first.  XP uses a different file system then XP and you might end up with problems later on down the road.
Socom CA Name: Phoon
Clan: GTA
Link: http://gta.gta4life.net/index.php
Message 8 of 8 (6 Views)
0 Likes