Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
2602 posts

Re: Comics: A dying breed

Dec 15, 2012

There still is a comic book store at the mall that carries a great selection of titles, although I now prefer buying the trade collections to the individual issues. Seems that kids aren't really interested in comics these days. Everyone in the shop is usually in their twenties and above.

I did buy some issues back in October, but they were from a yard sale 4 cheap. The entire box of comics was pretty much the same price as one issue from the stores.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Garfreakeld.png

I luv kitty cats cuz they're very furry n cute. meow!
Message 31 of 42 (99 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1019 posts

Dec 15, 2012

I-Like-Pie45 wrote:

I now prefer buying the trade collections to the individual issues.

Agree 100%. I normally wait until 2 or 3 volumes are out as well. At that point you know if a series is going to make it. Seen so many indies come and go after a couple issues

Message 32 of 42 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2372 posts

Dec 15, 2012

I was a 90s X-Men fan as a kid lol.  I collected the cards and comics back in the days.

I recently got back into comics last year during the whole Human Torch death storyline last year.  But I've been on and off with buying comics.  It can get a little expensive at 2.99-3.99 a copy.  My favorite series currently is Uncanny X-Force and Captain America.  I read Walking Dead in trades to see how it compares to the TV series.  Since I like the show.

Now that I'm older, I can actually afford to hunt down and collect issues I wanted as a kid.  I like to collect first appearances issues of my favorite characters.  I'm more of a collector than a reader now.  The last storyline I read was the  Avengers vs. X-Men thing.

IMO, the movies and video games are keeping comics relevant.  I live here in San Diego, comic capital of the world I guess lol.  There's at least 5 shops here that are still open.  I like to buy physical copies to support the local shops.

photo 4f9f1065-23b3-4875-a40d-e36af3b1f802.jpg
#I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for what I'm not
Message 33 of 42 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2602 posts

Dec 15, 2012

There will be a general interest in comics as long as quality adaptations are floating around.

The Walking Dead show, for example, has boosted the comics popularity by bounds. At my library all the trades were originally sitting on the shelf with nobody checking them out but after the debut of the show you'd be lucky if you could find just one volume on the shelf.

More people seem to be into the Batman and Avengers-associated titles as well. I guess that's what happens when movies are made which can easily introduce people to the comic universes without having to deal with all the convoluted backstories and such stuff...

And personally, movies like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and V for Vendetta got me motivated to check out and read the original source material. I loved the graphic novel V for Vendetta so much I hate the movie now. :smileyhappy:

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Garfreakeld.png

I luv kitty cats cuz they're very furry n cute. meow!
Message 34 of 42 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13358 posts

Dec 15, 2012

V for Vendetta was a great movie I thought so the novel was a lot better?

I collected X-men comics as a kid, usually picked one up whenever I went to the store with my parents. I grew out of that hobby by age 10 or so but I did have quite a few by the time I was done. I think I gave them away to one of my cousins or something. Good way to pass the time as a kid.

Message 35 of 42 (69 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Dec 15, 2012

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

The novel was all about ideals, it wasn't a "superhero story" it was about two oposing ways of thinking. The movie never reflected this, V wasn't a superhero or a liberator like the made it looked on it, it was almost and alternate universe. I don't hate the movie but I must admit its story is dumb and hollow if you compare it with the novel.
Message 36 of 42 (61 Views)
Last Guardian
13358 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Arkthur_us wrote:

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

The novel was all about ideals, it wasn't a "superhero story" it was about two oposing ways of thinking. The movie never reflected this, V wasn't a superhero or a liberator like the made it looked on it, it was almost and alternate universe. I don't hate the movie but I must admit its story is dumb and hollow if you compare it with the novel.

Thanks for clarifying the thought. I have only seen the movie and won't read the book..

Message 37 of 42 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 17, 2012

I bought the Avengers movie not too long ago and it shows horribly. The resolution fades in and out and i'm wondering am I the only one who is experiencing this problem on DVD. It cost me nearly 20 bucks for it, should've gotten it with Blu-Ray.

I got a free code for the digital comic but they want me to sign-up; name, address, and all. N O

Don't usually purchase superhero movies, rather watch them on cable and the result has been so-so, the first Hulk didn't like, the second one was better. Iron Man story wise was silly, with Tony Stark building his Suit in Afghanistan or wherever the hell he was at. At first X-men origins Wolverine was terrible, but the amount of times it came on FX, I rewatched it and liked it a little

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 38 of 42 (35 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Dec 17, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:
Don't usually purchase superhero movies, rather watch them on cable and the result has been so-so, the first Hulk didn't like, the second one was better. Iron Man story wise was silly, with Tony Stark building his Suit in Afghanistan or wherever the hell he was at. At first X-men origins Wolverine was terrible, but the amount of times it came on FX, I rewatched it and liked it a little

Ang Lee's Hulk is an oddity.  I remember my dad taking me and a few friends to see it in theatres and even he was kind of **bleep** at that one.  The one with Edward Norton was much better but then Norton got recasted for the Avengers & going forward (liked Norton as Banner; Ruffalo is good though in Avengers).

Iron Man is one of the geniuses of the Marvel Universe, at least on the tech side of things.  Him building a suit from readily available parts is right up his alley since he designs weapons for a living.

And you're a horrible person for liking Wolverine Origins.  Even a little.  I saw that in theatres and wanted to sucker punch someone on my way out.  Had the same issue as X3: tossing in too many names just for the Hell of it.  Hopefully the sequel turns out better (supposed to take place in Japan).

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Message 39 of 42 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 17, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

Ang Lee's Hulk is an oddity.  I remember my dad taking me and a few friends to see it in theatres and even he was kind of **bleep** at that one.  The one with Edward Norton was much better but then Norton got recasted for the Avengers & going forward (liked Norton as Banner; Ruffalo is good though in Avengers).

Iron Man is one of the geniuses of the Marvel Universe, at least on the tech side of things.  Him building a suit from readily available parts is right up his alley since he designs weapons for a living.

And you're a horrible person for liking Wolverine Origins.  Even a little.  I saw that in theatres and wanted to sucker punch someone on my way out.  Had the same issue as X3: tossing in too many names just for the Hell of it.  Hopefully the sequel turns out better (supposed to take place in Japan).

I don't know if you're kidding with me or not, so I say you're a horrible person for liking Final Fantasy :smileytongue:

Square Enix has no talent in their studios whatsoever. They're washed up, no longer producing quality software.

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 40 of 42 (29 Views)
0 Likes